Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
New Kindle owner - questions

So I received my Kindle yesterday as a birthday gift from my parents. I've been doing some research here for a couple weeks so I think I'm pretty straight on some of the things I need to know. But I do have a couple questions.

The first thing I did was plug it in since I wasn't sure how charged it was. I skimmed through the user guide that came with it (the paper one) and then turned it on and registered it to my Amazon account. Flawless.

I connected to the Kindle store and downloaded a few samples. And I came here and downloaded a few freebies.

I also read the Beginner's Guide here, and installed MobiPocket 6...which sure enough, did detect and show my Kindle's PID when I connected it.

During my previous research, I had also downloaded igorsk's scripts and the mobidedrm scripts and I installed python. So I think I am mostly set. I also downloaded mobiperl and the mobi2mobi gui program.

(1) My understanding is that since I have the PID, I can associate that with my Fictionwise account and download mobi books from Fictionwise, BUT I will have to run kindlefix on them. Is this correct? It seems a saw a few reports of people having to remove their PC's PID before this would work?

(2) Next question: Since Amazon azw files are really mobi, and since I have the PID, does mobidedrm really work on azw files as long as they are not Topaz/AZW1? I know mobidedrm works on Fictionwise files. I earlier did a test and was able to dedrm a secure mobi file (the freebie Around the World in 80 Days) from Fictionwise but wanted to confirm you can do this to Amazon files too. If this works, once you dedrm them, can you just rename them to .mobi instead of .azw?

(3) MobiPocket time: I want to change the location of where I'm downloading/storing my ebooks. Is there a way to delete all my "books" in my Mobi Library so I can re-import from my new location? Also, is the only way to "refresh" to do an "import" from that location? On the plus side, sending to the Kindle worked flawlessly? If I upgrade to 6.2, I know I lose my PID display. What else do I lose? Any reason not to stay on 6.0?

Let's see, what else? I did play with the Mobi2mobi gui for Mobiperl. Some of the free books I downloaded I wanted to change the Title so it wasn't "AuthorLastName_Title" and so that the Author field was actually listed instead of blank. I did 3 or 4 books so I seem to have that working.

(4) I do read some fanfiction from ff.net, so I plan to use FLAG or other tools to download stories in html and then use MobiPocket Creator to put them in Mobi and then load them. Anything I should know about this? I can stumble through enough html that I am able to go in and remove any extra code I don't want. It sounds like MobiPocket Creator is the best tool to use? What is BookDesigner good for?

I think that is it for now. What else should a newbie know?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
(1) My understanding is that since I have the PID, I can associate that with my Fictionwise account and download mobi books from Fictionwise, BUT I will have to run kindlefix on them. Is this correct? It seems a saw a few reports of people having to remove their PC's PID before this would work?
Yes. I'm not sure if you need to remove the PC's PID, but I would definitely try putting the Kindle 1st in the list.

Quote:
(2) Next question: Since Amazon azw files are really mobi, and since I have the PID, does mobidedrm really work on azw files as long as they are not Topaz/AZW1? ... If this works, once you dedrm them, can you just rename them to .mobi instead of .azw?
Yes. Note that you can rename them to .mobi on the mobidedrm command line:
Code:
mobidedrm infile.azw outfile.mobi KindlePID
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

Yes. Note that you can rename them to .mobi on the mobidedrm command line:
Code:
mobidedrm infile.azw outfile.mobi KindlePID
Awesome, did this last night and worked fine. At least, since I was able to open the resulting file on my PC thru Mobi Reader, I'm assuming that means it worked fine!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

(3) MobiPocket time: I want to change the location of where I'm downloading/storing my ebooks. Is there a way to delete all my "books" in my Mobi Library so I can re-import from my new location? Also, is the only way to "refresh" to do an "import" from that location? On the plus side, sending to the Kindle worked flawlessly? If I upgrade to 6.2, I know I lose my PID display. What else do I lose? Any reason not to stay on 6.0?
If you upgrade to 6.2, MobiDesktop will no longer put your ebooks in the correct folder. It will create a "MyEbooks" folder, and put the files there. The Kindle will not see them because they are in the wrong folder.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you upgrade to 6.2, MobiDesktop will no longer put your ebooks in the correct folder. It will create a "MyEbooks" folder, and put the files there. The Kindle will not see them because they are in the wrong folder.
So if I want everything to stay in my f:\library\*** location, then I should stay with 6.0 it sounds like. Thanks!
Advert