Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Which ereader would you recommend?

I have had a Kobo, now broken, but still can read the books on my Android. Is there an ereader which will let me read books from various companies as well as Kobo? I find my Android device a bit heavy if I want to read for more than 15 minutes. I like the look of some of the Sony ereaders. I suppose Sony wants to limit me to books bought from the Sony book store, don't they?
I don't want to get into DRM stripping. I find that a bit complicated.
Which ereader would you reccomend for me? BTW I also have a Kindle, which I intend to keep.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Depends on what android device you have. You could get a Nook HD 7" that weighs only 11.1 oz and read books from all the different stores on the different reading apps, such as Amazon, Kobo, etc. A tablet is the only reader you can do that with, unless you want to root a Sony T1 or a Nook ST, as far as I know.

You can get that Nook for $99 right now, from Staples, using a coupon code. Mine should be here today.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I believe you can read kobo books on sony device, as long as it has same ADE id. Most ereaders are compatible with it, so it doesn't matter which one you pick (except for kindle)
If books you bought from kobo don't have drm, you can even convert them to read on kindle.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If the books you bought from Kobo have an ePub or PDF download option available then they can be read on a Sony (just as books from Sony can be read on a Kobo). Most books from Kobo have an ePub (some with DRM some without) download option when you go to your library on their site. A few books they sell have PDF downloads instead and and a few others don't have a download option other than a kePub to the Kobo desktop, Kobo readers or Kobo apps. It's fairly rare from what I've seen for a book not to have a download though.

ePub's from Kobo would also be compatible with the Nook readers and any other readers that support Adobe Adept DRM (Bookeen, Onyx, etc.).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Download Calibre and put Alf's tools into Calibre. Alf tells you how to do this on his website. If I can do it, anyone can. This way, the nasties are stripped when you load a book into Calibre, where you can also easily convert to epub or the format of your choice. Simples!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Sony devices don't care as long as it is epub
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Download Calibre and put Alf's tools into Calibre. Alf tells you how to do this on his website. If I can do it, anyone can. This way, the nasties are stripped when you load a book into Calibre, where you can also easily convert to epub or the format of your choice. Simples!
Thank you Bookcat. I have tried once before to remove DRM with Calibre - without success - but you inspired me to try one more time and this time it worked. I looked on Youtube for help too. Now I feel free to buy which ever ebook reader I like, because I can load any ebook on any reader.
A big thank you too to everyone else who has responded.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, sony