Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #46
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you want a good deal, a better one might be the Kindle Paperwhite. It's $10 cheaper. And I am pretty sure the inconsistent quality was only during the early days when Amazon had a HUGE demand and needed to make them fast.

I still have my faithful Kindle Touch, but 5 of my close friends have bought the Paperwhite recently, and none of them display the flaws that were reported.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #47
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have a Paperwhite. I use it and like it. I have a Kindle Touch. What I like better about the Kobo Mini (and would like about the Glo, should I get one), is the home screen, the user interface, the ease of customization, and the way it works with Calibre. I may consider replacing the Kindle Touch with the Glo. It only has half the memory, but it has an SD card slot.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have a Paperwhite. I use it and like it. I have a Kindle Touch. What I like better about the Kobo Mini (and would like about the Glo, should I get one), is the home screen, the user interface, the ease of customization, and the way it works with Calibre. I may consider replacing the Kindle Touch with the Glo. It only has half the memory, but it has an SD card slot.
To which I say, (or rather, SAID):
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And since the 3.5GB in the Kindle Touch can hold about 3,000 average-sized books, you don't need expandable memory. If you read 100 books A DAY you will still have one month of reading on your Kindle. At a more reasonable but still exorbitant 3 books a day, you will have nearly 3 YEARS worth. I'm sure somewhere along the way you can get to a computer and swap them for new ones.
(Same logic applies to every other eReader, including the Kindle Paperwhite which has (shudder) a measly 1.5 GB and about a year's worth of books.)
Umm, when you say "the way it works with calibre" does the Kobo have some kind of advantage over other eReaders that I should know about?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #49
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Whether or not the Kindle PW is cheaper depends on your location. If you're in the States then yes, you can get a PW for $10 cheaper then a Glo (as long as you don't mind the special offers.) In Canada, thanks to the recent PW price drop, they are the exact same price.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
To which I say, (or rather, SAID):

Umm, when you say "the way it works with calibre" does the Kobo have some kind of advantage over other eReaders that I should know about?
Yes, it does. You can use Calibre to create, and update, shelves, right on your Kobo.

I don't believe that is possible with a stock Kindle. (Rooted, yes).

Ok, you said "other readers" this is also easy to do with my Sony T1.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Whether or not the Kindle PW is cheaper depends on your location. If you're in the States then yes, you can get a PW for $10 cheaper then a Glo (as long as you don't mind the special offers.) In Canada, thanks to the recent PW price drop, they are the exact same price.
The Glo comes with a free cover as well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The Glo comes with a free cover as well.

This is true, and is a great deal.

However, it's a special offer and will end soon (but I can't remember the date).

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote