Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #556
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I did do a restart but I'm not sure if I had the cable attached or not. I think it was. Does it really make a difference?
It really makes a difference.
The Kindle can not read from the user's storage while it is exported.
eject the user storage device, unplug the cable and then try another re-start.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #557
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Touch & PaperWhite ScreenSavers Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It really makes a difference.
The Kindle can not read from the user's storage while it is exported.
eject the user storage device, unplug the cable and then try another re-start.
Yaay! During restart, I got the start-up screen with a line that says 'checking screensavers', I put my Kindle in sleep mode to check and I got my screensavers. Thanks!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #558
el cash
el cash began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Firmware 5.3.4 killed my screensavers

My "hacked" screensavers are lost after the firmware update to 5.3.4. Now all the default screensavers are back. It's a Kindle Paperwhite, originally without special offers.

When trying to run update_linkss_0.7.N_uninstall.bin i get the error message:

Software Update
The update was not successful.
If you need assistance visit www.kindle.com/support.
To resume using your Kindle, please press the power button.
UPDATE ERROR: 3

Also get the same message if i try to reinstall the update_linkss_0.7.N_install.bin. I've disconnected the kindle before running the bin files, of course. But can't figure out why the updates fails...

Any ideas?
el cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #559
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Geez... read the instructions and follow them correctly, or search the forum. This question has been answered a thousand times before.

"Update" the Kindle. Don't just "restart" it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #560
siewsphone
siewsphone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Great work dude!

Btw may I know how to uninstall the python if I don't need the auto cover, last page function anymore?

Thanks
siewsphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #561
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by siewsphone View Post
Great work dude!

Btw may I know how to uninstall the python if I don't need the auto cover, last page function anymore?

Thanks
Just delete it.
It is self-contained within its directory.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #562
siewsphone
siewsphone began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Just delete it.
It is self-contained within its directory.
Thanks!
siewsphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #563
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
hi,

i just updated to 5.3.5 and reinstalled the screensavers hack. neither the firmware update nor the re-installation of the screensavers hack deleted my images. however, they were all renamed "bg_medium_ss##.png", with ## starting at "00" and just increasing incrementally by 1 until the last image. does this happen everytime? just curious.

hue
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #564
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
rem736 they need to be named that for the hack to work.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #565
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
rem736 they need to be named that for the hack to work.
did not know that. thanks.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #566
arthurdapaz
arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Question Some procedure... some mistake...

Hi guys. I need some hand.
I need to know If I am "killing" my .bin packagers... or if I did something wrong...

The initial description of my trouble is a bit , but then I clarify things according to the "screensaver" hack topic...

I'm using a brazillian Paperwhite Kindle (B020) and I am using the "KindleTool" to recreate the "python" installer and the "linkss" installer...

First, I download the original files on this thread. Second I extract their files using:
1. KindleTool extract update_python_0...bin temporary_folder/
2. KindleTool extract update_linkss_0...bin temporary_folder2/

(from now I will just use the python example, since I do exactly the same with linkss)

After extracted, I enter the temporary_folder/ and type:

KindleTool create ota2 --platform yoshime --cert 0 --device pwgbr . update_python...bin

It creates a perfect .bin file that I put on my Kindle's root folder, eject it from my computer. Then I go to Settings -> Menu -> Update your Kindle... And it asks to restart and installs the 'update' perfectly!

Here it goes: (the in-topic question)
With links's package, things proceed the same way. Except, after the installation, when I click to 'lock' my Kindle after the update has rebooted my device, it justs flash the screen, decrease my brightness to zero and seems to use the "last screen" as a screensaver...

But there is not "last" file on the links folder (defining this setup)... I also try to put some .png (well formated resolution), and added the "random" or "shuffle" file, and rebooted after each process to check if it works...

the same thing happens, it just flashes the screen.... and keep the last one as activated!...

What are the solution?
arthurdapaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #567
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
arthurdapaz have you named the png's correctly? What folder are you putting them in?
Upon reboot does it mention anything about checking the screensavers?
Are you using a full Kindle or one with Special offers?
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #568
arthurdapaz
arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
arthurdapaz have you named the png's correctly? What folder are you putting them in?
Upon reboot does it mention anything about checking the screensavers?
Are you using a full Kindle or one with Special offers?
1. There is no ads on my Kindle...
2. I'm putting the .pngs at: /linkss/screensavers/
3. On reboot it just mention checking screensavers if I add the "random" or "shuffle" file...
4. Why the hell I need to rename the png? And what is the "standard" way to name those files?

PS: After adding random or shuffle file, the pngs are automatic renamed...
PS2: When I reboot with the "random" file, it shows a small line on the boot: "S randomizing screensavers..."

Last edited by arthurdapaz; 05-03-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: adding extra info
arthurdapaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #569
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurdapaz View Post
1. There is no ads on my Kindle...
2. I'm putting the .pngs at: /linkss/screensavers/
3. On reboot it just mention checking screensavers if I add the "random" or "shuffle" file...
4. Why the hell I need to rename the png? And what is the "standard" way to name those files?

PS: After adding random or shuffle file, the pngs are automatic renamed...
PS2: When I reboot with the "random" file, it shows a small line on the boot: "S randomizing screensavers..."
Just to be clear, when you 'reboot' you are doing a restart through the menu>settings and you do NOT have the power cable attached...correct?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #570
iam32
iam32 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I'm trying to install this hack and I can't get it to work and I can't quite figure out why.

I did the jailbreak, that worked as far I can tell.
I installed the links install .bin
I put a greyscale png in the right directory, restarted and it's still the default screensaver. The pngs are still in the directory on the kindle and i can't figure out what happened.

I'm using 5.3.5.

Was there something I was meant to do that wasn't in the instructions because I just can't figure out why it isn't working =s
iam32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch