Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
Calibre Plugin KoboExtended: Shut off Header and Footer?

There's only one way to control ugly css styles of the producer of epubs with a global user css style:
you have to convert the *.epubs into *.kepub.epub

That done with the help of the Calibre plugin "KoboExtended".
For Kepubs you have the option to use
\.kobo\kepup\kepub-book.css

Bad luck:
The plugin adds an header. And it changes the footer to the numbering "page/chapter".

I need the css file but I don't want a footer nor a header.

I like a true fullscreen mode. Nothing but content.

Any ideas how to realize that?
Thanks.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Have you looked at the latest version of the KoboTouch driver? That gives you the ability to add your own custom CSS into each book.

Something which may not necessarily be obvious, if you use the extended driver and disable the extended features options, you get all of the rest of the extended driver's options and a non-Kobo ePub file that uses the ePub Adobe renderer (not the KePub ACCESS renderer). However, it sounds like what you're looking for is covered entirely by the KoboTouch driver's Modify CSS option without needing the extended driver.

Last edited by jgoguen; 08-04-2013 at 01:28 PM.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

@jgoguen
Hi Joel
Thanks for offering your nice plugin!

I used the installation function of Calibre "Get new plugins".
The drivers version is 2.1.0

Hhmm. I didn't understood exactly what you meant with disabling "extended features options" regarding my wish.

I'm not looking for an option for a user css for each book.
I'm only interested in global user css for all books.

Is there any way to get rid of the footer and the header together with global css styles?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You want something applied to every book no matter what? No, that's not something that you can do with a global stylesheet. Only KePub files support a global stylesheet.

That said, I missed the part where you want a fullscreen experience. That's not possible with any Kobo device I'm aware of, especially not with KePub files.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
ibu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
You want something applied to every book no matter what?
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
No, that's not something that you can do with a global stylesheet. Only KePub files support a global stylesheet.
That said, I missed the part where you want a fullscreen experience. That's not possible with any Kobo device I'm aware of, especially not with KePub files.
OK, bad luck for me. I hoped there's any hack to get
either an option for global style sheets with epubs (not kepubs)
or an option in kepubs to disable the header (and, even better: get an option to disable the footer too)

Thanks for your answer, Joel, anyway

One last tiny hope:
Is there a hack to get the numbering "actual page number/total page number of the book" back in kepubs?
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

As far as I know, no one has found any way to do so, or even anywhere to start.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
option in kepubs to disable the header (and, even better: get an option to disable the footer too)
Partly, if you hack the firmware you can reduce the footer in size or even hide it completely. This is a very simple hack. But doesn't work with firmware 2.8.1 (yet).

See this thread: Kobo Full Screen

Quote:
Is there a hack to get the numbering "actual page number/total page number of the book" back in kepubs?
This was never the case, so can't get it back. But it is possible to show the total number of book pages instead the default per chapter.

Many configuration file hacks are described here.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
ibu
Addict

@Anak
Thanks for the hint about "kobo full screen". Then there's hope for me.

The configuration file hack in Kobo ereader.com

[FeatureSettings]
FullBookPageNumbers=true

works fine.

I'm getting more and more control about the device Thank all the nice people in this forum

Next project is "cleaning the start page".
Old 08-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
There's only one way to control ugly css styles of the producer of epubs with a global user css style:
you have to convert the *.epubs into *.kepub.epub
... you could just as well remove css in Calibre and/or replace it there. There is no need for kepub conversion to get rid of unwanted css.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
ibu
Addict

@guma
With "control" I meant "global control" ("global user style sheet which effects all books").

And therefore I have to convert to kepub. Kobo does not offer any way for global user styles for epubs.
Just some hours ago the developer of the extented kobo driver for calibre confirmed that in another thread.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
ibu
Addict

Please allow me a further question regarding *.kepub.epubs

I realize now, that the reading options of kobo glo like e.g. the line height are not overwritten by a corresponding global user style, like e.g.
Code:
p { line-height: 1.4 !important; }
in \.kobo\kepup\kepub-book.css

It seems, that the reading options have a higher rank than even the global "!important" rule.

Is there any way to give the rules in kepub-book.css a higher rank?

In other words: I like to loose the option to declare reading options for individual books.

Is it true, that using the universal css selector "*" in kepub-book.css causes problems in the Kobo.
I recognized an extremly long loading time. But I'm not sure, if really that is the cause.

Last edited by ibu; 08-05-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

The CSS you have only works if the book text is in paragraphs. That's a perfectly reasonable assumption, but publishers are sometimes quite bad at doing The Right Thing. Some books may actually be in <div> or <span> tags instead. The universal selector (which I despise) should catch these cases, but try a more specific selector like "p, div, span, td, li, blockquote" and see if that works.

It wouldn't surprise me if the device settings took precedence over any CSS though. If a book uses rules with !important, device rules need to override that for the sliders to work as expected. Try the CSS (with a selector similar to mine or the universal selector) on a new book that you've never made settings changes in.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
ibu
Addict

@Joel
I checked the source code of the book before with sigil.
All the book text is inside the p element.

I tried it even with a new book, where I never made settings at all.

The "Kobo ereader.conf" saves the last manually edited reading settings. Before I uploaded the new book, I checked the "kobo ereader.conf".
It has the entry "readingLineHeight=2.5".

When I open the new book it gets the lineheight 2.5.

In other words:
There's no way to absolutly control the appearance of new Kepubs.
When you (accidentally) edited the reading options on any other book before, the new book takes these values.

Further:
There's no way to reset the reading options "to the default css of the book".
Like it is in an internet browser.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Well, there we have it. Although like I said, the reader values actually must override the CSS for it to work in the way people expect. You could get around it by removing the reading settings and then never make any settings changes on the device
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
@Joel
I checked the source code of the book before with sigil.
All the book text is inside the p element.

I tried it even with a new book, where I never made settings at all.

The "Kobo ereader.conf" saves the last manually edited reading settings. Before I uploaded the new book, I checked the "kobo ereader.conf".
It has the entry "readingLineHeight=2.5".
That value represents the line spacing slider position. Personally, I keep both the margins and line spacing sliders at the left edge and control margins and line height from the css styling. I think that fully left shows 1.3 as the line height while fully right shows 3 as the line height.

Quote:
When I open the new book it gets the lineheight 2.5.

In other words:
There's no way to absolutly control the appearance of new Kepubs.
When you (accidentally) edited the reading options on any other book before, the new book takes these values.

Further:
There's no way to reset the reading options "to the default css of the book".
Like it is in an internet browser.
What I am seeing here is that after I added a custom .css for .kepubs, the slider position no longer seems to have an effect.

I've only tried this on a two books purchased from Kobo (The Peshawar Lancers by S. M. Stirling and A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede). I've attached the file I am using (rename it to .css and place it in the .kobo/kepub directory) with one minor change -- I've been using a 150% font size declaration in the body section to match the font size between .kepub and .epub files which I set to 100% for the uploaded file. Several of the other items such as the text-indent and text-align lines can be removed as well.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: txt kepub-book.txt (636 Bytes, 187 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 08-05-2013 at 01:15 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote