Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Question Waste of money or worth the upgrade?

I am the owner of the first gen Nook and am thinking about upgrading to the NST (haven't decided about the glow version), and would like to know if the NST, other than the touch screen, is so much better than the original?

What would be the best reasons to buy the NST vs keeping my original?

tiniree
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Better contrast screen. Faster page turns. Longer battery life.

I'd go see one in person at B&N or one of the other places that sell them (if you can) and spend some time playing with it. You may decide that you like what you have now better or you may decide that the simple touch is a must have.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
I am the owner of the first gen Nook and am thinking about upgrading to the NST (haven't decided about the glow version), and would like to know if the NST, other than the touch screen, is so much better than the original?

What would be the best reasons to buy the NST vs keeping my original?

tiniree
The NST is a much better reader, and I would highlight the much improved battery life, reduced weight, better ergonomics and UI as its stronger points against the original nook. But that said, if you're happy with the original nook and it serves its purpose, the only reason to upgrade would be new toy lust.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I had an original nook too and I much prefer the NST. The screen quality and lower weight alone sold me.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I don't know how many ebooks you have, but I found that the original Nook had problems displaying thousands of ebooks, whereas the NST has no problems (well, shelving is still lousy, but it's about the same as your Nook).

It's smaller, lighter, faster, better display, easier to use, with a longer battery life. I generally couldn't read all day (for example, cross-country travel) with my original Nook, not a problem with the NST. I don't regret replacing my Nook with the NST, but I'm still on the fence over replacing the NST with a Glow.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
dbeman
Enthusiast
dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook ST
IMHO, the Nook ST reader is the best e-ink reader on the market. I would only spring for the glowlight if you do a lot of reading in the dark. (ie a passenger in a car traveling at night, camping, etc...)
dbeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
If you do decide on the glow, you might wait a few months until Amazon releases a lit kindle. The price is likely to drop significantly.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote