Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 03:09 AM   #1
Meido
Meido began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Calibre Crashing while Adding Files

So, I've been trying to get all of my ebooks into calibre so I can clean up my collection: find/trash duplicates, fix metadata, etc. The problem is, I have lots of files I'm trying to load into calibre and it seems to always crash/hang when trying to add them. Any suggestions?

I'm running windows 10 (although I had this happen in 7 and 8). I'm currently using the 64-bit version, but again have had it happen in the standard as well.

I don't want to have to add them manually in batches...mostly because I will forget which ones I've done or where I was at...

Thanks You,
Meido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:44 AM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Then you will have no luck.

Import smaller batches. Instead of extracting metadata from a book try to get your basis metadata from file name if you have a proper naming for your files.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:51 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Or move a small batch to a directory, add files from them and, after being included in calibre, remove them. With this approach, you won't forget. If you a very big number of books, it's very probable you run out of memory, and there is no solution to that.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
or

1) ARCHIVE (backup) your sources (to another drive, even off-line)
2) setup an Calibre auto-add folder
3) Drag and drop small batches to this folder. When both folders are on the same filesystem, it is a Move.
Auto-add deletes files from the folder, that it has added to Calibre. (the reason I had you Archive the source)
4) reload Auto-add until no more sources are left
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
Meido
Meido began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
theducks does the auto-add delete the files as it goes or does it only delete them when it finishes processing the batch?
Meido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meido View Post
theducks does the auto-add delete the files as it goes or does it only delete them when it finishes processing the batch?
As it goes (I have watched )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote