Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #601
otuama
otuama began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite Screensaver

Hi all.

I've followed the exact process in this link ( http://www.deftindustries.com/changi...dle-paperwhite ) but it just isn't working for me.

Whatever I do I have this image for the screensaver:

I have my image in the correct folder:

It is 758x1024, greyscale 8bit, png.

In the linkss backup folder I have a number of images put there by the hack (I think). They don't show either.

In the backups/custom folder the original screensaver image (first image above) was there. I even put my image in there but it still isn't working.

I've searched the kindle for any images and can't find the image I want to get rid of.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by otuama; 05-30-2013 at 09:20 AM.
otuama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #602
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by otuama View Post
Hi all.

Whatever I do I have this image for the screensaver:

Any help would be great.

Thanks
This is a "waterstoned" Kindle -> search for "Waterstones" or "Waterstones screensaver" in this forum and you'll find the instructions to remove the branding.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #603
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Touch & PaperWhite ScreenSavers Hack

That's correct. Your Kindle is from Waterstones and this screensaver is located in /var/local/custom_screensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #604
Vava
Vava began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite
Hi ! I would like to know if it's possible to hide the two bands that say "sleeping" and "Press the power switch to wake" ? Thanks for your work !
Vava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #605
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Wee! Update!

* Python 0.4.N:
Update to Python 2.7.5

* ScreenSavers 0.8.N:
A bunch of fixes, updated binaries.
It probably processes cover a bit faster
Properly supports the 'new' international PW models (Japan & Brazil)
A shiny KUAL extension to help with the configuration of the Hack!

[Also, moved the thread back to the dev subcorner, for the shiny K5 prefix, and also because I tend to check the dev corner far more often than the main forum, especially when I'm short on time]
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #606
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@NiLuJe-
Works great, thanks!!!!! Love the the integrated KUAL... Your readme file (yep, I actually do read them) says that it's not functional on KUAL 2.0 yet, but it shows up in the KUAL buttons - do they just not work at this time?
Also, Now that the options are integrated into KUAL, any chance of a KUAL button to delete the accumulated cover images in the cover_cache folder?

Nice to see you back !

Last edited by GoSharks; 07-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #607
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@GoSharks: Yep, I caught that too. Should be fixed now. (I wrote the doc a few days ago, and was expecting the KUAL support to be much worse. It actually works, it's just messier than with the dev version ).

As an aside, I owe you my thanks for picking up the slack while I was away .

I'm in the process of amending the 'Notes' section of the first post with a few of the recurring FAQs, and will also probably edit the fallback image to be a bit less stark than a scary blank screen . (Meaning: expect a cosmetic update fairly soon).

EDIT: And, yep, you can clear the currently processed covers & pinfo overlay from the 'ScreenSavers Tools' menu (last item of the ScreenSavers menu).
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #608
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
EDIT: And, yep, you can clear the currently processed covers & pinfo overlay from the 'ScreenSavers Tools' menu (last item of the ScreenSavers menu).
Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #609
NiLuJe
BLAM!

... And, just posted 0.9.N with said fixes (doc & fallback cover) .

So, to the four people who got 0.8.N: No, you don't really need to update .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-04-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #610
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
... So, to the four people who got 0.8.N: No, you don't really need to update .
Yeah...like that's going to happen!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #611
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GoSharks: Good for you!

I'm a bit sick of the 'Updating Your Kindle' screen, personally, after testing multiple versions of the updates on 6 different devices for the past week... ;D
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #612
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:

I'm a bit sick of the 'Updating Your Kindle' screen, personally, after testing multiple versions of the updates on 6 different devices for the past week... ;D
Do I smell another hack?!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #613
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Sounds like a new hack in the making -
A custom slide-show of still pictures during the "Updating your" period.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #614
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nah, that's just USBNet + Fonts + Python + ScreenSavers, times 6 (more or less, I dropped the Fonts hack from some of my devices), times a bunch of debugging iterations... ^^

On a sidenote, here's what the KUAL menus will look like with the next version. Basically, it detects your current settings, and thus only shows the appropriate button (enable something if it's disabled, and vice versa, and not both), and it also handles device specific stuff (you won't see the pinfo stuff on a K3, for example). Thanks to stepk for the fun new features I'm using .

EDIT: Err, once FireFox stops crashing on me, that is....

EDIT²: Speaking of the KUAL menus, I'm open to comments on the buttons themselves, if something's not clear enough, or if my english sucks, because most of those were written in a haze in the middle of the night ^^. Keeping in mind that the text *has* to fit in the button on every device (I've found that the best way to assure that is to check on a K5). Same thing for the status text, and the eips print.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_07_05T03_33_10+0200.png
Views:	386
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	107717   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_07_05T03_33_29+0200.png
Views:	394
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	107718   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_07_05T03_33_36+0200.png
Views:	364
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	107719   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_07_05T03_33_43+0200.png
Views:	365
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	107720   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_07_05T03_33_53+0200.png
Views:	366
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	107721  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-04-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #615
NiLuJe
BLAM!

NullNix will be happy to know that I just finished moving the whole cover handling to tmpfs + symlinks . And tweaked a bit the shuffling code in random/shuffle 'cycle' mode to avoid some extra IO too.

So, while it's a good news in the long run, the next version might exhibit all new, fun & weird bugs! Yaaaay!

Let's see what happens on legacy devices once I finish backporting these changes...

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch