Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One important point to consider is the stability of the firmware. The PW is pretty much rock-solid; the Kobo (according to people in the "Kobo" forum here at MR) appears to have firmware which is a "work in progress", with new firmware versions introducing new bugs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqqqqqqqqqqz View Post
Wired Magazine gave the Paperwhite a 9/10: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/09...le-paperwhite/
They also made a review for the Kobo Glo, but it's not as favorable (7/10): http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/11/kobo-glo/

Based solely on this information, I would go with the Paperwhite. (I know, two reviews is not a good singular basis of comparison.)
Interesting. The Kobo Glo screen is better than the PW screen, except that it doesn't dim as much. That's a big deal.

On another note, a new Sony is almost certainly coming out by autumn. I personally will be waiting for that. I'm expecting Sony to learn form the mistakes from the other producers and producing a superior illuminated e-reader.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #33
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It's important to look closely at the details of the reviews, too. The only device-related downside that Wired noted with the Kobo was that the light doesn't dim quite far enough for reading in blackness. The rest of the deductions were for retail experience, something that only matters to some users and not to others (for me, for example, it's completely irrelevant).
You read my mind. I was just about to post the same thing. The reviews only got me to lean more toward the Kobo, even though I had originally been leaning towards the Kindle. The retail experience isn't nearly as important to me as the screen.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It's worth noting that if you check out ebooks at the library, the Kindle offers a much more user-friendly experience. Amazon has more leverage with Overdrive Inc. than Barnes and Noble.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #35
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It's worth noting that if you check out ebooks at the library, the Kindle offers a much more user-friendly experience.
This depends on the country you're in. Here, you cannot use library ebooks on a Kindle at all. I believe the OP is in a similar position, being in Newcastle.

Last edited by meeera; 04-03-2013 at 10:31 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
GeekyGirl
GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet 16 GB
I'm posting this in response to Tomsem's post:

"Keep in mind that every Kindle has an associated @kindle.com email address. Using this (or the various Send To Kindle apps and a browser extension that can send web pages), you can send 'personal documents' to the Kindle (doc, txt, rtf, and pdf with or without conversion to mobi), and there is 5GB of free storage for these. These will then sync and backup annotations just as with stuff you purchase from Amazon."

I've been a Nook reader for four years but just bought a Paperwhite and love it. If it had a microSD slot it would become my only ereading device. So I've been wondering about side loading via USB cable using Calibre verses emailing to the Paperwhite. I'm a writer and so I do a lot of highlighting/annotation. I know that if I email the book to the device I will have access to all my highlighting/annotation via the link at Amazon.com, but my question to you is, if I sideload via USB/Calibre, will it save the highlight/annotations online as well? It seems that Amazon treats them almost as an "overlay" such that even when the book is removed from the device, the highlights/annotations are still there online.
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #37
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGirl View Post
I know that if I email the book to the device I will have access to all my highlighting/annotation via the link at Amazon.com, but my question to you is, if I sideload via USB/Calibre, will it save the highlight/annotations online as well?
If I send a book/"personal content" to my @kindle.com or @free.kindle.com address, I get sync between devices, but I don't see my highlights and annotations on kindle.amazon.com (unless something changed recently).
And I don't see my personal content in the OS X Kindle.app.

Sideloading via "Send to Kindle.app", USB or similar doesn't provide any cloud sync (at least I haven't gotten any sideloaded content to sync between devices without using the email method).

Online annotations and highlights is only available for Amazon purchased content.
(I think you can fetch annotations manually from Kindle devices over USB using a Perl script or something.)

I think this is frustrating, and I would be willing to pay for cloud sync for all my ebooks across all my devices and my laptop/the web. Sadly, so far I haven't found anyone working better than Amazon ...

(There was some fuzz about personal content annotations/highlights/bookmarks not syncing with Kindle Fire, but I don't know if that still applies.)
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGirl View Post
I know that if I email the book to the device I will have access to all my highlighting/annotation via the link at Amazon.com, but my question to you is, if I sideload via USB/Calibre, will it save the highlight/annotations online as well? It seems that Amazon treats them almost as an "overlay" such that even when the book is removed from the device, the highlights/annotations are still there online.
Anything on your Kindle will remain on your Kindle -- unless it is stored online as well.

But if you delete a Personal Document (that isn't stored on Amazon.com) from your Kindle, your notes and stuff are saved ON YOUR KINDLE. (This only applies if you delete it from your Kindle. calibre will clean up after itself with any book IT deletes.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Interesting. The Kobo Glo screen is better than the PW screen, except that it doesn't dim as much. That's a big deal.

On another note, a new Sony is almost certainly coming out by autumn. I personally will be waiting for that. I'm expecting Sony to learn form the mistakes from the other producers and producing a superior illuminated e-reader.

Both screens are fantastic and equal, in my opinion.

When you state that the Kobo Glo screen is "better than the PW screen," then this is simply your opinion.

When you state that the Kobo Glo does not dim as much, this is a verified finding here at MobileRead and in other reviews across the net. However, I find that my Kobo Glo dims enough to be fine for night reading in bed. My Paperwhite is also fine for reading at night. Both units are excellent. I do, however, prefer the firmware stability of the Paperwhite.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-08-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #40
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I feel compelled (being the OP) to report back that I purchased a Glo a couple of days ago and am very pleased with it. I'm not (so far, and touch wood) having any of the issues reported in other parts of the forum.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #41
Kloos
Kloos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I feel compelled (being the OP) to report back that I purchased a Glo a couple of days ago and am very pleased with it. I'm not (so far, and touch wood) having any of the issues reported in other parts of the forum.
Amen !
Kloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #42
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
When you state that the Kobo Glo screen is "better than the PW screen," then this is simply your opinion.
Nope, it's a supposition gleaned from the two reviews I cited in my post. At that point I had not handled a PW so I couldn't say. Sorry, I thought it was clear from the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
When you state that the Kobo Glo does not dim as much, this is a verified finding here at MobileRead and in other reviews across the net. However, I find that my Kobo Glo dims enough to be fine for night reading in bed.
Don
That's the good to hear. I have since handled a PW and I like both screens. Saying that, I would be uneasy purchasing a PW because of the reports of inconsistent quality of the display. The one I saw was fine, though it was in a lit environment.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #43
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I just thought if mention here that the Kobo Glo is on sale now online on the Chapters website in Canada for $129.99, with a snazzy looking free cover.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #44
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Having tried both, I would say I far prefer the kindle paperwhite as far as interface, etc goes. I've enjoyed using the kindle a lot more.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #45
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I just thought if mention here that the Kobo Glo is on sale now online on the Chapters website in Canada for $129.99, with a snazzy looking free cover.
Sounds like a good deal. I would get one if I could find a good sale. I got a Mini today and I love the software and UI! All the customizing I can do with no jailbreaking. It's great!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote