Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
A Question for owners of both a touch and a paper white

Do you think that Amazon made a lot of improvement when it developed the paper white from the design of the touch? Is one faster than the other? How about the dimensions, are they about the same?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Do you think that Amazon made a lot of improvement when it developed the paper white from the design of the touch? Is one faster than the other? How about the dimensions, are they about the same?
They're pretty much the same in terms of speed and dimensions. The Touch has a slightly thicker bezel, but that's about it. Since they're both at firmware version 5.3.x now, there are only minor differences in the software. So for me, the differences boil down to:

- Paperwhite has better resolution, and light.
- Touch has Audio capabilities (music, audiobooks, Text-to-Speech), and about 2.5x as much usable storage space.
- Touch can always be debricked through USB, Paperwhite can't.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
I sold my "Touch" as soon as my Paperwhite arrived. I find it a gigantic improvement.
The upgrade was not too expensive, as there is a reasonable demand for the Touch in the marketplace - try CraigsList.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To what extent do you think amazon used the design of the touch as the basis on which to build the new paper white? As far as what I have seen the paper white seems to me a touch with a built in light.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
As far as what I have seen the paper white seems to me a touch with a built in light.
It's basically a Touch with a front light and a higher resolution screen. The touch part is also capacitive instead of IR.

Personally I returned my PW and went back to my Touch.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's basically a Touch with a front light and a higher resolution screen. The touch part is also capacitive instead of IR.

Personally I returned my PW and went back to my Touch.
... whereas I'm entirely the opposite - I haven't used my Touch since getting the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard

What is capacitive? I don't understand.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
What is capacitive? I don't understand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Capacitive
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I was interested in the Touch but never bought one. Something (intangible), along with the decreased storage capacity, told me to wait. Then Amazon introduced the PaperWhite. I wanted one after seeing the ad on their site. Even though the lower storage capacity was still a concern, seeing the case for it actually sealed the deal (I was not impressed with the cases for the Touch).

I love my PaperWhite! It just works for me and makes me happy. I've adjusted to not having my entire library with me, which to be honest, had recently outgrown my K3 as well.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I was interested in the Touch but never bought one. Something (intangible), along with the decreased storage capacity, told me to wait.
What decreased storage capacity? The Touch has 4GB storage, the same as the K3.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What decreased storage capacity? The Touch has 4GB storage, the same as the K3.
They are no longer showing the comparison for the Kindle Touch (at least on the US site), but it was showing as being able to hold a significantly lower number of books than the K3 when I first compared the two.

The K3 was listed as being able to hold approx. 3,400 books.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-12-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
They are no longer showing the comparison for the Kindle Touch (at least on the US site), but it was showing as being able to hold a significantly lower number of books than the K3 when I first compared the two.

Found it, and the difference is smaller than I remembered. K3 = 3500, Touch = 3000.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
They are no longer showing the comparison for the Kindle Touch (at least on the US sight), but it was showing as being able to hold a significantly lower number of books than the K3 when I first compared the two.

The Touch and the K3 both have 4GB storage. The Touch has very slightly less storage space available, because the firmware uses a bit more space than it does on the K3, but the difference is very minor - a couple of hundred MB, if that. If Amazon were showing a significantly reduced number of books for the Touch, they probably used a more realistic figure for the average size of a book than they did for the K3.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Touch and the K3 both have 4GB storage. The Touch has very slightly less storage space available, because the firmware uses a bit more space than it does on the K3, but the difference is very minor - a couple of hundred MB, if that. If Amazon were showing a significantly reduced number of books for the Touch, they probably used a more realistic figure for the average size of a book than they did for the K3.
See my post right above yours.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-12-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: "above" not "about"