Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #406
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I just bought a "eKit 4 in 1 Connection Kit for Samsung Galaxy S3 / S2 / Galaxy Note"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eKit-Connect.../dp/B006I31SHC

and have now a working SD-slot for my Nexus 7. I actually have both SD and micro-SD and USB. Works very well with Nexus Media Importer. The only disadvantage is the that the connector is a bit loose so you have to be careful to ensure that it is plugged in properly. For watching videos at vaccations I see no disadvantage with this approach.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #407
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I just bought a "eKit 4 in 1 Connection Kit for Samsung Galaxy S3 / S2 / Galaxy Note"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eKit-Connect.../dp/B006I31SHC

and have now a working SD-slot for my Nexus 7. I actually have both SD and micro-SD and USB. Works very well with Nexus Media Importer. The only disadvantage is the that the connector is a bit loose so you have to be careful to ensure that it is plugged in properly. For watching videos at vaccations I see no disadvantage with this approach.
I hope it meets your needs, but I see several potential disadvantages:
It's another relatively large piece of gear to carry, in addition to the memory cards to use in it.
It seems like a very fragile attachment point.
It seems like it would prevent the use of some stand/cases for video watching.
For my needs, if I needed the extra storage and were to carry a piece gear that large around in addition to the tablet, I think I'd prefer one of those small wifi NAS devices
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #408
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What are some small, easy to carry around WiFi NAS?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #409
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
What are some small, easy to carry around WiFi NAS?
Maxell Airstash and that is what I want to use but it is a bit expensive.
I bought the adapter for emergency use. Like copying data from sticks.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #410
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are expensive, and kind of limited in storage. I guess I was thinking that storage automatically came in the 320 GB to 500 GB range. With that storage limitation it is easier to carry a memory stick and an OTG cable. But yeah, they do look cool.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #411
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
They are expensive, and kind of limited in storage. I guess I was thinking that storage automatically came in the 320 GB to 500 GB range. With that storage limitation it is easier to carry a memory stick and an OTG cable. But yeah, they do look cool.
There's always a 32GB Fire HD 7.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #412
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

A 32 GB Fire HD would be cheaper than a 32 GB NAS?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #413
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
A 32 GB Fire HD would be cheaper than a 32 GB NAS?
No, but it would give you double the storage of a Nexus 7 for the same price.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #414
DarnellSaki
The Boy With 1000 Stories
DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexuz 7
It wasn't a deal breaker for me but now a couple of months later I'm sort of wishing I went for the 16gb model. Space seems to be running lower every day...
DarnellSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #415
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnellSaki View Post
It wasn't a deal breaker for me but now a couple of months later I'm sort of wishing I went for the 16gb model. Space seems to be running lower every day...
Probably the majority of those who polled that it was a dealbreaker bought a device that just was too limited for their use in the past. It is a position one arrives at by experience.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #416
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Probably the majority of those who polled that it was a dealbreaker bought a device that just was too limited for their use in the past. It is a position one arrives at by experience.
I have always bought devices with memory that I do not use. I have also learnt that I do not need so much memory.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #417
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I have always bought devices with memory that I do not use. I have also learned that I do not need so much memory.
IMHO, it is nearly impossible to have too many storage options. I almost always find a way to use storage that at one time looked useless.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #418
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I have always bought devices with memory that I do not use. I have also learnt that I do not need so much memory.
My tablet now has 64GB and I still find myself switching music, audiobooks, documents, movies (both for work and for entertainment) in and out all the time; while I struggle to keep 3-5 GB free.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #419
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
My tablet now has 64GB and I still find myself switching music, audiobooks, documents, movies (both for work and for entertainment) in and out all the time; while I struggle to keep 3-5 GB free.
It's a well known fact of life in just about all areas - the cruft expands to fill all the space you've got, no matter how much space you've got.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #420
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
It certainly was a deal breaker for me. I wound up purchasing the TF700 instead. I also have the keyboard/dock. I have a 32GB microSDHC in the device and a 64GB SDHC in the dock. Plus it has 32GB built-in. Plus I can swap cards around as needed. I am loving it!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote