Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #31
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
This seems rather extreme , but HarryT - back in post #11 - did point out that you will lose all publisher supplied formatting!

I have to run off to work right now, but if you can give a link to where I could look at the book tomorrow, I'll try to be more helpful. There do seem to be some quirks in the Kobo handling of css, and in trying to reload books.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #32
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I still maintain that it's not such a big deal to lose the CSS. Aldiko, one of the most popular eReader apps for Android, specifically ignores the CSS unless you tell it not to. It provides it's own options for justification et cetera.
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #33
GabrielR
GabrielR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
I followed the steps outline in this thread and deleted the CSS, however, when I reopen the file on my Kobo it is now entirely blank =S, fortunately I made a backup copy which I loaded back onto the Kobo, and its now readable again, any idea why this happened?
GabrielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #34
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
I had the same experience. Deleted the CSS file and the book appeared blank. Don't know why that happened.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
GabrielR
GabrielR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
I did manage to change the font by accessing the 'stylesheet.css' using winrar. I opened the file and 'found and replaced' all the 'small''s and 'x-small''s with 'large' (make sure you don't replace the one small that is small-caps), changed the font to large. Also if you delete the css file try resetting the book by accessing the table of contents then going back to the chapter you were reading, found this helped for me. Cheers
GabrielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #36
NotchJ
NotchJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Yes, I'm absolutely positive that there's no stylesheet.css. There's only one css file and it seems to be encrypted.

So I'm asking, can someone clearly confirm that they were able to fix the font scaling issue on a DRM protected library epub? Thanks.
NotchJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #37
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchJ View Post
Yes, I'm absolutely positive that there's no stylesheet.css. There's only one css file and it seems to be encrypted.

So I'm asking, can someone clearly confirm that they were able to fix the font scaling issue on a DRM protected library epub? Thanks.
That's the right .css file. All of the library epubs I had were encrypted. Be sure to make a backup of the ebook, then delete the .css file. It should work!

Last edited by jimr; 05-04-2010 at 08:06 PM.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #38
NotchJ
NotchJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Yes, Thanks jimr!! That did work.

There was only one css file (called: keen_9781440673665_oeb_css_r1.css). Just mounted the Kodo on a Windows machine, opened the epub file with IZarc and delete that file and voila - fonts scale again.

Not a bad work around but I'd much rather have the firmware fix.
NotchJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #39
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchJ View Post
Yes, Thanks jimr!! That did work.

There was only one css file (called: keen_9781440673665_oeb_css_r1.css). Just mounted the Kodo on a Windows machine, opened the epub file with IZarc and delete that file and voila - fonts scale again.

Not a bad work around but I'd much rather have the firmware fix.
That's great to hear! It sounds like they're working on a fix for this and a few other things. The support guys on this forum have been really great.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #40
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

Device: none
By the way, if you cannot find a CSS file or deleting it does not work, the individual HTML files may use an inline stylesheet. In which case, you'd need to open each and remove the "style" tag(s). If it's really poorly done, it could have a style tag on each element.
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is a Kobo bug and not an ADE bug. What you need to do is bug Kobo to fix this.

That said, all HTML/CSS in a DRMed ePub are encrypted. The only way to get access is to remove the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #42
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
JSWolf is correct, we really should not need to do anything to get these files working on our Kobo, they work fine on other devices, I have a Kobo and my wife as a PRS-300, everything looks fine for her, but not for me.

I did some testing an it has to do with what style the font-size: is set on, if you move it off the <P> tags class it seem to work (atleast on the couple I tried) but not all books have a <SPAN> tag within all the <P> tags, and all books are going to have different style names.

Its annoying to test this all though because you can only test the file directly on the Kobo, since all the apps on my computer so the file just fine.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #43
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I also just bought a Sony Touch (PRS 600) and I've noticed that on the identical ebook the page numbers are different on the Kobo as compared to the Sony. Only a few extra pages on a 350 page book but there is a difference.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I also just bought a Sony Touch (PRS 600) and I've noticed that on the identical ebook the page numbers are different on the Kobo as compared to the Sony. Only a few extra pages on a 350 page book but there is a difference.
Yet another bug in the Kobo. The 600 I know works fine as it matches ADE on the desktop for page numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #45
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wonder if this has something to do with covers. If its something like 1 or 2 pages then it might be Meta-Data and Covers that are ignored on one and not the other.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote