Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
wrong order in epub

I generated epub file from big collection of htmls. (via calibre)
Toc.ncx was manually generated in Calibre's editor and correct order.
Files themselves are not in correct order.
spine in metadata.ofx is also not in correct order.

Calibre's epub reader doesn't read book in correct order but shows toc.

Moon+ ignores toc.ncx

how to re-order book's files and spine according to order in toc.ncx? (it's difficult to move around approx 100 files with names like index-<3 random digits>.html )
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only use sigil but I'm guessing it's the same in Calibre's editor; you manually click and drag the html files up or down in the file browser on the left. Maybe/hopefully there's something better because that will be tedious.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I only use sigil but I'm guessing it's the same in Calibre's editor; you manually click and drag the html files up or down in the file browser on the left. Maybe/hopefully there's something better because that will be tedious.
Yes it is the same way (n Calibre) of dragging the HTML file up/down until they are in the correct order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why toc.ncx is ever needed if it couldn't be used by almost anything?
Ok. is there way to at least rename files according to names in toc.ncx?
Old 10-03-2020, 01:26 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post
toc.ncx as you may have guessed from the name is a table of contents navigation document. On my Kobo ereader, when I look at an epub2, that's the file that supplies the table of contents. For epub3, it is replaced by a XHTML navigation document rather often called nav.xhtml though many epub3 also have a toc.ncx for use by older renderers.

IF the HTML ToC file associated with the html file collection you imported has the files in the correct order, the files will be imported in the correct order. If you just imported a bunch of files, well, GIGO.

See this message thread Importing HTML files with the wrong chapter order and this link to the calibre FAQs: How do I convert a collection of HTML files in a specific order? for a bit more information. Note the breadth and depth first option as this has bit me on the butt on a couple of occasions.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-03-2020 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Truly the Google-fu is running weak these days.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #6
vikarti
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

IF the HTML ToC file associated with the html file collection you imported has the files in the correct order, the files will be imported in the correct order. If you just imported a bunch of files, well, GIGO.

See this message thread Importing HTML files with the wrong chapter order and this link to the calibre FAQs: How do I convert a collection of HTML files in a specific order? for a bit more information. Note the breadth and depth first option as this has bit me on the butt on a couple of occasions.
Thanks!
Given that it's rather easy to generate html toc from arleady existing toc.xml - this was good enough solution for my puproses. I unpacked book and re-imported with breath-first option enabled (calibre restart was necessary for it to be applied for some reason).
Old 10-03-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The NCX is the ToC. It's used in most cases. If it's not used, it's the fault of the reading software. For example, on my H2O, the ToC controls display the NX ToC. Then having a link in that to go to the HTML ToC is silly as you then change page to get there when you are already at the ToC.

Calibre and Sigil have ToC editors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks!
Given that it's rather easy to generate html toc from arleady existing toc.xml - this was good enough solution for my puproses. I unpacked book and re-imported with breath-first option enabled (calibre restart was necessary for it to be applied for some reason).
Good to hear that my advice was helpful to you.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, epub 2, spine, toc problems