Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Apple Event September 15

Quote:
Time flies.
It’s almost here. Please join us for a
special Apple Event broadcasting
from Apple Park. Watch the show
online at apple.com.
September 15, 2020 10:00 a.m. PDT
Presumably some new devices, and release of next versions of iOS and macOS.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:21 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
According to this MacRumors article, Apple won't announce the iPhone 12 at this event. They speculate that it will be about new iPads and Apple Watches, and that an October event will be for iPhones.

Quote:
According to [Bloomberg's Mark] Gurman, Apple will not announce the iPhone until October, which means the September event could instead feature new iPads and Apple Watch models. BuzzFeed's John Paczkowski has confirmed in a tweet that says "Don't hold your breath for the new *iPhone*."
Either way, I hope they get iPadOS 14 released soon. I’m sick and tired of all the iPadOS 13 garbage.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, it should be interesting to see what they announce. In my not so humble opinion, they have really been improving the Apple Watch with each new version.

As wild speculation, because I haven't heard anything, I would think they will do some sort of refresh of Apple TV. With them pushing their streaming service, it would make sense. The one year trials are going to be up in a month or two, they ought to be pushing it.

I'm not really in the market for an iPad, I'm quite happy with the one I bought last year. Still, they do have to refresh it yearly.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'm betting it will be about the iPhone and Watch with a follow on for the Apple Silicon Macs and new ipads in Oct.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not in the market for any new Apple devices this year as my iPhone XR is still more than adequate and I bought an iPad mini 5 a few months ago. Just as well what with the higher prices of many essentials like groceries and TP due to the pandemic and the higher costs of utilities due to a very hot summer. I'm way too much of a klutz to risk wearing an expensive Apple Watch. It probably wouldn't last a month before I broke it. Besides, I don’t see any need for their Watch other than tracking health, but it doesn't do enough yet to warrant buying it. I doubt I will ever buy another Mac, certainly not one with the new chips. I still think they are making a mistake by switching chips. it is difficult to get developers to write apps for macOS now with the Intel chips, switching to whole new system will be disastrous.

I'm mostly hoping that iPadOS 14 is a gillion times better than iPadOS 13. It needs to be. iPadOS 13 reminds me of some of the awful MS Windows versions we had to suffer through. Just to type on my iPads is laborious due to the quirky way it works. It tries to capitalize words in the middle of sentences, it is extremely difficult to position the cursor then select Paste, ad nauseam... Too many editing quirks to even list. Just typing a few paragraphs can take a long time due to constantly having to correct the darn quirks.

I’m glad this will be another online event without all their goofy fanboys acting like Disney animatronics with their feet wired to the electrical grid and programmed to applaud every stupid thing the Apple gurus say. I’m an Apple user and have been for four decades, but their fanboy fueled events tend to make me want to toss my waffles. Personally I wish Apple would just forgo the events altogether and simply post the new goodies on the web with a description of each.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-09-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We are Apple users...and I love my Apple Watch 3. My favorite thing about the watch is the ability to have all my store cards on the watch in the Stocard app, and being able to pay using Apple Pay. Not having to dig in my purse for the store card key cards and a credit card is great. Being able to remove all of those key ring cards from my key ring and touchless payments are a real benefit.

Reading & sending texts, tracking activity, answering phone calls, setting timers, checking calendars, all at my wrist? So cool and very handy.

That said, I never watch Apple events. I'd much rather read about the new devices or new firmware. I'd love a new phone and watch, but we've been an open wallet this month with small home improvements, no refund on a 4 day vacation we couldn't go on, and that new sewing machine. Not counting what medical bills we will end up with from hubby's appendectomy.

Hubby needs a new phone, and he is hoping work will help with that, since he's been using his personal phone for work since March 15th, and it's showing signs of battery failure. It's an iPhone 6.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:57 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
One of the rumors is the refresh of the iPad air. I was ready to buy an iPad pro, but reading speculation about the iPad air refresh has me waiting. Rumors are it's an iPad pro type design with no home button. No face id, but touch Id in the on/off button. USB-C maybe. Screen size supposed to be just under the iPad pro 11" at 10.8". One site reported 3rd party accessories already slipping out. (covers)

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...d-air-4-launch

I can wait till next tuesday and see what's being released. If the rumors are true the new iPad air will suffice just fine. I have to wait longer than that anyway, there are almost no iPad pro's in stock anywhere, even the apple store.

Last edited by drofgnal; 09-10-2020 at 06:06 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
We are Apple users...and I love my Apple Watch 3. My favorite thing about the watch is the ability to have all my store cards on the watch in the Stocard app, and being able to pay using Apple Pay. Not having to dig in my purse for the store card key cards and a credit card is great. Being able to remove all of those key ring cards from my key ring and touchless payments are a real benefit.

Reading & sending texts, tracking activity, answering phone calls, setting timers, checking calendars, all at my wrist? So cool and very handy.

That said, I never watch Apple events. I'd much rather read about the new devices or new firmware. I'd love a new phone and watch, but we've been an open wallet this month with small home improvements, no refund on a 4 day vacation we couldn't go on, and that new sewing machine. Not counting what medical bills we will end up with from hubby's appendectomy.

Hubby needs a new phone, and he is hoping work will help with that, since he's been using his personal phone for work since March 15th, and it's showing signs of battery failure. It's an iPhone 6.
I keep being reminded how useful my Apple Watch is. Yesterday, I had left my iPhone downstairs when I went upstairs and got a phone call from my sister. I answered on my Watch (non cellular so this was via wifi) and had a 30 minute conversation with her that way. Dick Tracy eat your heart out! Exercise, outside temperature and heart beat all at a glance. I use it for Apple Pay as well. It's one of those devices where you don't think you would need it, but once you have it, you wonder how you could do without it.

From a developer point of view, Apple is slowly pushing towards true universal apps that run both on the iPad and Mac. Yea, those old apps that were written 10 years ago and either were abandoned or the developer is just coasting probably aren't going to take advantage of that, but the line is blurring more and more.

As I said, I'm not really in the market for anything new at the moment, but I won't say never. I almost pulled the trigger on last year's Apple Watch with the always on display. Maybe this year's model with have a built in way to take your temperature. That would be a pretty nifty feature in the era of covid-19. It already does heart rate and an EKG.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The only Apple thing I want at the moment would be updated Airpods.

Don't want a watch, or iPad, and my phone is relatively current.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I keep being reminded how useful my Apple Watch is. Yesterday, I had left my iPhone downstairs when I went upstairs and got a phone call from my sister. I answered on my Watch (non cellular so this was via wifi) and had a 30 minute conversation with her that way. Dick Tracy eat your heart out! Exercise, outside temperature and heart beat all at a glance. I use it for Apple Pay as well. It's one of those devices where you don't think you would need it, but once you have it, you wonder how you could do without it.

As I said, I'm not really in the market for anything new at the moment, but I won't say never. I almost pulled the trigger on last year's Apple Watch with the always on display. Maybe this year's model with have a built in way to take your temperature. That would be a pretty nifty feature in the era of covid-19. It already does heart rate and an EKG.
I have a series 5 now, and I think it will do for awhile. I had a series 3 before that, and it met a tragic end when my car ran over a chunk of shredded tire, partially ripping off plastic shield under there, and I had to reach under there to pull it back into position and tie it up so I could pull off to a safer location. Didn’t realize I’d cracked the screen. I actually continued to use it for several months though most of the touch screen didn’t work. Repair would have cost more than a new series 3. This time I got Apple Care.

I got the smaller series 5, which has a screen that’s a little larger than the large series 3 I had. Also faster and more storage. I haven’t used the CPR feature more than a few times, and I turned off the ‘always on’ feature pretty much right away, I like having the screen off unless I’m actually using it. So for me the new features weren’t all that important, more about future-proofing and a better form factor.

Series 6 is rumored to have O2 saturation sensor, but even if that’s true, it would not impel an upgrade. Maybe if I were an elite athlete or had asthma, but I’m not.

If they announce Mac mini with Apple silicon I might be interested.

As it is I’m planning to get the new iMac 27” for my wife, whose Windows machine is a constant source of frustration for both of us with the constant stream of updates and bewildering notifications about some change they make. And it’s flakey, sometimes the mouse doesn’t turn on and Outlook can’t restart without going into Services and killing something.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have a series 5 now, and I think it will do for awhile. I had a series 3 before that, and it met a tragic end when my car ran over a chunk of shredded tire, partially ripping off plastic shield under there, and I had to reach under there to pull it back into position and tie it up so I could pull off to a safer location. Didn’t realize I’d cracked the screen. I actually continued to use it for several months though most of the touch screen didn’t work. Repair would have cost more than a new series 3. This time I got Apple Care.

I got the smaller series 5, which has a screen that’s a little larger than the large series 3 I had. Also faster and more storage. I haven’t used the CPR feature more than a few times, and I turned off the ‘always on’ feature pretty much right away, I like having the screen off unless I’m actually using it. So for me the new features weren’t all that important, more about future-proofing and a better form factor.

Series 6 is rumored to have O2 saturation sensor, but even if that’s true, it would not impel an upgrade. Maybe if I were an elite athlete or had asthma, but I’m not.

If they announce Mac mini with Apple silicon I might be interested.

As it is I’m planning to get the new iMac 27” for my wife, whose Windows machine is a constant source of frustration for both of us with the constant stream of updates and bewildering notifications about some change they make. And it’s flakey, sometimes the mouse doesn’t turn on and Outlook can’t restart without going into Services and killing something.
An O2 saturation sensor is actually something that is compelling for a lot of people. As you get older, many people buy O2 saturation devices since it's a key indicator of heart or lung issues.

As I've said many times, I love my iMac 27". The only thing I wish for is a much bigger internal drive. I have a 1 TB drive, but I also have a lot of movies and do a bit of photography as a hobby. Between the media - Movies, photo, audiobooks, music and ebooks, I use a lot of space. I have as much as I can on an external Drobo, but life would be easier with a bigger internal drive.

I keep toying with the idea of getting a mac mini as a media server. The big hold up is the Drobo factory still appears to be shut down. A mac mini and a 8 bay drobo would do the trick.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
An O2 saturation sensor is actually something that is compelling for a lot of people. As you get older, many people buy O2 saturation devices since it's a key indicator of heart or lung issues.
Yep. Too bad my dad refuses to wear an Apple Watch (he's got pulmonary hypertension).

What we're really looking forward to is glucose monitoring. I think there's ongoing research for that already. Mom wears an Apple Watch and has diabetes. Her blood sugar can often get too low which is dangerous so more frequent measurements and early warnings would be very helpful.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
According to this MacRumors article, Apple won't announce the iPhone 12 at this event. They speculate that it will be about new iPads and Apple Watches, and that an October event will be for iPhones.

Either way, I hope they get iPadOS 14 released soon. I’m sick and tired of all the iPadOS 13 garbage.
I wish they made apple watches for larger wrists for women. There is a larger apple band but obviously a man's band. I want a watch that automatically comes with a large band. I need 8.5" or larger
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:46 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I wish they made apple watches for larger wrists for women. There is a larger apple band but obviously a man's band. I want a watch that automatically comes with a large band. I need 8.5" or larger
There are 3rd party bands that might fit your requirement if the ones that come with the Watch aren’t long enough. The Series 3 I bought last year (the smaller one) did come with two lengths for the Sport band (I think that is the only option there is for Series 3).
Old 09-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yep. Too bad my dad refuses to wear an Apple Watch (he's got pulmonary hypertension).

What we're really looking forward to is glucose monitoring. I think there's ongoing research for that already. Mom wears an Apple Watch and has diabetes. Her blood sugar can often get too low which is dangerous so more frequent measurements and early warnings would be very helpful.
Hopefully Apple will keep pushing the Watch towards a useful health monitoring tool. None of the other watch companies seem to be doing that. Garmin and Fitbit and others seem interested in mostly sport oriented tracking. To an older person in my 60s I don’t need to track steps, stairs, laps, or any of that nonsense. I do need to track pulse, O2, sleep, BP, etc. Apple is still a ways off of having a really useful health monitoring watch as far as I’m concerned, but they are making progress. But at the present time it simply isn't worth the money. I don’t care about all the other features it has as I have my iPhone XR with me at all times and it is better at those tasks than a tiny screened watch could ever be.

ETA: Another poster mentioned Apple Watch bands. That is another sticking point to me. Most likely the bands would be way too small for my wrist. And as usual, Apple emphasizes form over function. Their band designs are not good for older people, especially those like me who have arthritis. I realize their are 3rd party vendors for bands, but they likely are no better. If Apple truly wants to create a health monitoring watch, they need to learn a lot about kinesiology. To heck with form, an older person needs the function and they need the designers to have a full understanding of kinesiology. And one more thing: Apple needs to convince the health insurance companies to view their Watch as a medical device so that they will help the patients pay for them.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-13-2020 at 12:06 PM.