Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Poking around Android system on RK3368 based Likebook devices; here are my findings

You could view my original note here if you want, as vBulletin used by MobileRead might break certain formatting, and the former would update first before this post.

I've been poking around the software on my Likebook Mimas (but the info here should also apply to any other Boyue device running on the Rockchip RK3368 platform), primarily in order to find a way to root it, but also because I don't like how Boyue seemed to have removed certain features from their Android 6 release, like background support, the entire lock screen (including Google Smart Lock, and in favour of Boyue's lazy-ish passcode lock), as well as screen recording and wireless display support. I can't go further without a full system image to recover from, but wanted to share my findings here on MobileRead, in the event that it could help others get further. If you don't have one of these devices, I could help to provide screenshots and/or shell transcripts from my Mimas, unless it's not with me as I have to send it back to Boyue to get the pen digitizer replaced.

(The original note was about "hacking" the software, but I later felt that wasn't the right word, so the rest of this post may sound strange)

Missing resources:
  • Factory and/or OTA images for these devices (note to self: try to find time to do packet capture on both Boyue updater and handwriting recognition to see which Web locations are being pinged)
  • Proper Android development target and/or other source code repositories

From what I know, the Likebook firmware, at least for their Android 6 based release, appears to me to be basically a hodgepodge of a few different Android releases. Here are some examples:
  • Boyue's Android 6 release seems to be missing some components, like:
    • Lock screen (and subsequently, Google Smart Lock)
    • Screen capture for video
    • Background support for home and lock screens
    • "Android security patch level" in settings
    • Regional options for languages
      • (I used one of those "language changer" apps to get around this)
  • USB debugging status icon appears to be from Android 4.1-4.3
  • Included web browser appears to be from Android 4.0, and has forced A2 mode,
    • so I use Firefox instead (though actually a modified version called "Fennec F-Droid" that just removes some Mozilla annoyances).
  • The sound recorder, at least judging by its icon used outside the Likebook home shell, seems to be from Android 4.x
  • Gallery seems to be from Android 4.x, or at least uses a custom UI based on the "Holo" UI.
  • Music player seems to be from Android 2.x. it feels clunky on the large screen,
    • so I use "Phonograph" and Simple Mobile Tools "Music Player" instead.

Here's what I found:
  • Running an "env" shows that the software seems to be set up to accept Adobe Digital Editions DRM in the built-in reader, however, it might not be.
    • However, I'd rather stick to tablet apps provided by e-book services I buy my e-books from (unless it's self-published books purchased direct from the author) so that my annotations, if the book is formatted in a way that I can do so, will sync across devices.
  • It may be possible to get into recovery on devices with a single face button by holding down that and the power button, but I don't own any of those, so I can't check. However, what I do know is that "adb reboot recovery" should work.
    • If you have a Mimas, you can also:
      • Power on while holding [Page Left] to get into Android recovery.
      • Plug in a USB cable connected to your PC while holding down [Page Left] to get into "LOADER" mode.
        • Hold down [Power] until the indicator on the bottom turns off to power off. Doing the same after that should land you back in the Android system after a minute or so.
    • The usual controls of using the volume keys (page keys on the Mimas) and pressing [Power] to select are still present, but then there additional controls displayed on the screen, which most likely are for users on the Muses, Alita, and Ares Note, as those have a singular face button, but may also work for those on the Mars.
      • Those read, "Any button cycles highlight. Long-press activates."
  • Telling ADB (Android Debug Bridge) to restart to the bootloader ("adb reboot bootloader") appears to instead restart into the Rockchip "LOADER" mode.
    • This is indicated by the display not updating and leaving the image of whatever was shown on the Android system prior to restarting, the charge and startup status indicator on the bottom being frozen, and the Android Fastboot tool on the PC side hanging on "waiting for any device" until I pressed [Control]+[C] to get out of it.
    • Some time later, I retried it, but this time with the actual Rockchip USB drivers and "AndroidTool", to confirm that my Mimas had in fact been rebooted into "LOADER" mode.
      • The tool loaded for me in Chinese, but changing "Selected=1" to "Selected=2" in the "config.ini" does the trick
      • My PC dual boots Windows and Debian, however, I was on the Windows side at the time for a completely unrelated reason.
      • The "AndroidTool" seems to include a feature to restart into "LOADER" or "MASKROM" modes from a running state, which does still require Android USB debugging. I was only able to get into the former using this, but I fear I may not be able to get out of the latter once I restart into that, despite there being a "Go Maskrom" (sic) button on the "Advanced" tab.
        • I can do "Read Flash ID", "Read Flash Info", and "Read Chip info, but "Read Capabilities" fails.
        • The tool does not stop the ADB server after selecting "Switch", so you'll need to kill the ADB process before you delete the tool, should you want to.
      • Unfortunately, this does mean I can't run TWRP in RAM to test it.
  • I can't proceed with actually flashing a custom recovery, as there seems to be NO Android system images for any of the currently supported Likebook models.
  • I suspect that all the RK3368 based Boyue/Likebook devices use the ITE IT8951 for its display controller, as I noticed that there's no usual ZIP file for the splash screen in /system/media, only the "powered off" and "out of power" images, and the default screensaver.
    • However, this makes me wonder where the "charging before starting up" and startup screens are located.
    • I suspect it's in the EEPROM or flash storage of the display controller itself, as the IT8951 supposedly has a "boot up auto display" feature, but I can't confirm this as I haven't found any documentation on how to set that (or any of its more advanced features) up.
    • The IT8951E-64 is the chip used on the E-ink ICE development board, and Waveshare's more accessible (to individuals) clone that added Raspberry Pi support. Thus, it's likely that Boyue uses this same chip.
    • I do believe the screensaver is converted to a greyscale bitmap and written to the display controller's flash or SRAM. so that it can automatically display when it gets sent the "sleep" command, after Android turns off what it thinks is a LCD, which should explain why it can't cycle through multiple like on Kindle and Nook devices.
    • Even then, if it does have one, I don't know which bus it's connected over, as the chip can talk over 1 of 4 different bus options, but I suspect it's being interfaced to over either i2C or SPi. I guess one could look for zero ohm links near it after getting the device apart and looking at the internals.
  • Android DPI settings: (both displays run at 1404×1872)
    • Mimas/Alita (10.3 inch, 226ppi): 240 dpi (slider ranges from 200 to 480)
    • Mars/Muses/Ares Note (7.8 inch, 300ppi): ???

Shell snippet 1 - Environment variables:
Spoiler:

Code:
shell@T103D:/ $ env
_=/system/bin/env
ANDROID_DATA=/data
RK_ADEPT_ACTIVATION_FILE=/mnt/sdcard/.adobe-digital-editions/activation.xml
RK_ADOBE_DE_DOC_FOLDER=/mnt/sdcard/Digital Editions
HOME=/data
RK_ADEPT_DEVICE_TYPE=mobile
RK_ADEPT_DEVICE_SALT_FILE=/mnt/sdcard/.adobe-digital-editions/devicesalt
EBOOK_PAGE_VISIBLE_NUMBER=2ÒÇÇ
USER=shell
ANDROID_ASSETS=/system/app
BOOTCLASSPATH=/system/framework/core-libart.jar:/system/framework/conscrypt.jar:/system/framework/okhttp.jar:/system/framework/core-junit.jar:/system/framework/bouncycastle.jar:/system/framework/telephony-common.jar:/system/framework/voip-common.jar:/system/framework/ims-common.jar:/system/framework/ext.jar:/system/framework/framework.jar:/system/framework/apache-xml.jar:/system/framework/org.apache.http.legacy.boot.jar
ANDROID_SOCKET_adbd=12
RK_ADOBE_DE_MOBILE=1
ANDROID_STORAGE=/storage
MKSH=/system/bin/sh
SYSTEMSERVERCLASSPATH=/system/framework/services.jar:/system/framework/ethernet-service.jar:/system/framework/wifi-service.jar
TERM=xterm
SHELL=/system/bin/sh
ANDROID_BOOTLOGO=1
ADOBE_FONTS_DIR=/system/fonts/adobefonts/
RK_ADEPT_DEVICE_FILE=/mnt/sdcard/.adobe-digital-editions/device.xml
ASEC_MOUNTPOINT=/mnt/asec
HOSTNAME=T103D
TMPDIR=/data/local/tmp
PATH=/sbin:/vendor/bin:/system/sbin:/system/bin:/system/xbin
ANDROID_PROPERTY_WORKSPACE=10,0
ANDROID_ROOT=/system
EXTERNAL_STORAGE=/sdcard
shell@T103D:/ $
Shell snippet 2 - Root folder listing:
Code:
shell@T103D:/ $ ls /
acct
cache
charger
config
d
data
default.prop
dev
drmboot.ko
ebc_waveform.bin
etc
file_contexts
fstab.rk30board
fstab.rk30board.bootmode.emmc
fstab.rk30board.bootmode.unknown
init
init.connectivity.rc
init.environ.rc
init.rc
init.rk30board.bootmode.emmc.rc
init.rk30board.bootmode.unknown.rc
init.rk30board.environment.rc
init.rk30board.rc
init.rk30board.usb.rc
init.rockchip.rc
init.tablet.rc
init.trace.rc
init.usb.configfs.rc
init.usb.rc
init.zygote32.rc
init.zygote64_32.rc
metadata
mnt
oem
proc
property_contexts
res
rk30xxnand_ko.ko
root
sbin
sdcard
seapp_contexts
selinux_version
sepolicy
service_contexts
storage
sys
system
ueventd.rc
ueventd.rk30board.rc
vendor
wacomT103dFw.hex

Shell snippet 3 - /dev listing:
Spoiler:

Code:
shell@T103D:/ $ ls /dev
__properties__
alarm
ashmem
binder
block
bus
camsys_marvin
console
cpu_dma_latency
cpuctl
cpuset
device-mapper
ebc
fscklogs
full
fuse
graphics
hevc_service
i2c-0
i2c-1
i2c-2
i2c-3
i2c-4
i2c_detect
iep
iio:device0
input
ion
keychord
kmem
kmsg
log
loop-control
mem
memcg
mtp_usb
network_latency
network_throughput
null
opteearmtz00
ppp
ptmx
pts
pvr_sync
pvrsrvkm
random
rfkill
rga
rtc0
rtc_rk808_test
rtc_rk818_test
snd
socket
spi_misc_test
sw_sync
tgt
timerirq
tty
ttyGS0
ttyGS1
ttyGS2
ttyGS3
ttyS0
ttyS2
tun
uhid
uinput
urandom
usb-ffs
usb_accessory
vendor_storage
vflash
vpu_service
watchdog
watchdog1
xt_qtaguid
zero

Let me know if you want me to open any file or folder and show you the contents, in either the ADB shell or the free non-root version of Root Explorer. I also have Termux and Termius, and can run commands in the locked-down local terminal, as well as through the ADB shell.

Shell snippet 4 - Android build properties:
Spoiler:

Code:
shell@T103D:/ $ cat /system/build.prop

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=MXC89L
ro.build.display.id=BYRead-V1.1.3-2019092718
ro.build.version.incremental=2934
ro.build.version.sdk=23
ro.build.version.preview_sdk=0
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.all_codenames=REL
ro.build.version.release=6.0.1
ro.build.version.security_patch=2016-10-01
ro.build.version.base_os=
ro.build.date=2019Õ╣┤ 09µ£ê 27µùÑ µÿƒµ£ƒõ║ö 18:49:58 CST
ro.build.date.utc=1569581398
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=builder
ro.build.host=builder-001
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.build.flavor=rk3368_64-user
ro.product.model=Likebook-T103D
ro.product.brand=Boyue
ro.product.name=T103D
ro.product.device=T103D
ro.product.board=rk30sdk
persist.boeye.updatemodel=Likebook-T103D-BYRead
persist.sys.timezone=Asia/Shanghai
UserVolumeLabel=Likebook
# ro.product.cpu.abi and ro.product.cpu.abi2 are obsolete,
# use ro.product.cpu.abilist instead.
ro.product.cpu.abi=arm64-v8a
ro.product.cpu.abilist=arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist32=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist64=arm64-v8a
ro.product.manufacturer=Boyue
ro.product.locale=zh-CN
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=rk3368
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=T103D
# Do not try to parse description, fingerprint, or thumbprint
ro.build.description=rk3368_64-user 6.0.1 MXC89L 2934 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=Android/rk3368_64/rk3368:6.0.1/MXC89L/builder09271849:user/release-keys
ro.rk.screenoff_time=120000
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
ro.adb.secure=1
persist.by.debug=1
ro.has.hw=1
ro.default.epdmode=3
# end build properties
#
# from device/rockchip/rk3368/system.prop
#
#
# system.prop
#

#rild.libpath=/system/lib/libreference-ril.so
#rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2
# Default ecclist
ro.ril.ecclist=112,911
ro.opengles.version = 196609
wifi.interface=wlan0
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libril-rk29-dataonly.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyACM0
persist.tegra.nvmmlite = 1
ro.audio.monitorOrientation=true

#NFC
debug.nfc.fw_download=false
debug.nfc.se=false

#add Rockchip properties here
ro.rk.screenshot_enable=true
ro.rk.def_brightness=0
ro.rk.install_non_market_apps=false
sys.hwc.compose_policy=0
sys.wallpaper.rgb565=0
sf.power.control=8847360
sys.rkadb.root=0
ro.sf.fakerotation=false
ro.sf.hwrotation=270
ro.rk.MassStorage=false
ro.rk.systembar.voiceicon=true
ro.rk.systembar.tabletUI=false
ro.rk.LowBatteryBrightness=true
ro.tether.denied=false
sys.resolution.changed=false
ro.default.size=100
ro.product.usbfactory=rockchip_usb
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
ro.factory.tool=0
#set default lcd density for rk3368-P9 tablet
ro.sf.lcd_density=240
media.stagefright.audio.sink=150
ro.lockscreen.disable.default=true

#boyue properties
ro.boyue.brand = boyue-likebook

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
wifi.interface=wlan0
ro.opengles.version=196609
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=16m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=192m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=512m
dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
dalvik.vm.heapminfree=512k
dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m
ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
ro.rksdk.version=RK30_ANDROID6.0.1-SDK-v1.00.00
camera2.portability.force_api=1
persist.sys.strictmode.visual=false
ro.rk.bt_enable=true
ro.factory.hasUMS=false
testing.mediascanner.skiplist=/mnt/shell/emulated/Android/
persist.sys.usb.config=mtp
ro.factory.hasGPS=false
ro.rk.ethernet_enable=false
ro.factory.storage_suppntfs=true
ro.factory.without_battery=false
ro.com.google.gmsversion=6.0_r9
ro.product.first_api_level=23
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
ril.function.dataonly=1
ro.config.enable.remotecontrol=false
ro.udisk.visible=true
ro.safemode.disabled=true
persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib.2=libart
dalvik.vm.isa.arm64.variant=cortex-a53
dalvik.vm.isa.arm64.features=default
dalvik.vm.isa.arm.variant=cortex-a53
dalvik.vm.isa.arm.features=default
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
ro.expect.recovery_id=0xf3b28aa1f9d1394f89ff451343419b31409a4b8a000000000000000000000000

Shell snippet 5 - Rockchip AndroidTool v2.69 stuff:
Spoiler:

Code:
Get FlashID Start
CS0:    45 4D 4D 43 20
Get FlashID Success

Get FlashInfo Start
Manufacturer:    SAMSUNG
Flash Size:    14910MB
Total Sector:    0x1d1f000
Block Size:    512KB
Page Size:    2KB
ECC Bits:    0
Access Time:    40
Flash CS:    0
Get FlashInfo Success

Get ChipInfo Start
Chip Tag:        33 33 30 41
Image Chip Flag:        -RK330A
Get ChipInfo Success

Get Capability Start
Get Capability Fail

What I plan to do next is to try and see if I can try and trace to get some kind of OTA image, by doing packet capture. However, most likely, OTA update images won't be as complete as the full factory images would be.
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(XDA style "reserved" here, unless it's not permitted here)
Advert
Old 12-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
This can get interesting indeed. I'd like to see what you think when they release the 8.0 updates.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
This can get interesting indeed. I'd like to see what you think when they release the 8.0 updates.
Well, I already had this to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardOrMayo View Post
... I'm hoping Boyue offers at least 8.1, as there's a bug in 8.0 that breaks Twitter emoji in the Twitter app. I'm also hoping Boyue updates system fonts as part of their frequent UX updates, and I'd like if they could provide 8.1 9.0, but most likely not 10.0 as that's very new and Android doesn't officially support e-paper as far as I know,
However, since then, I've had to send my Mimas out for service back in December. They told me they had to replace the entire display assembly (I told them I had issues with the top half of pen input not working, but didn't tell them about some touch issues I was having). Turns out, I could only send it out on 23 December as they in the process of moving to a different office building, and had to wait a few days before they could start accepting mail at the new location and I would send it to them there. I know it's currently with them at their facility based on their replies.

I was hoping to get it back in time for a trip, but it seemed that the bezel is part of the display assembly despite this being a Mimas and not the later Alita, and they had encountered a long lead time on that. Bezel, front lighting, touch digitiser, display panel, and pen digitiser. 5 layers. I contacted them last Thursday, and they mentioned something along the lines of not being able to source it with the white bezel, so I'm hoping that if they still can't get it in white, that they can just get it in black and replace the back cover accordingly.

EDIT: I checked with them again on Monday and they clarified that the white parts are no longer being manufactured, and they're instead waiting on the black parts. Their estimate is now the end of January, which means I'll have to read on my tablet and not be able to take notes during the trip. Now back to the original post.

My main concern is with my user data, as I didn't want to do a complete reset, based on previous experiences with Android 6 in general. However, I did put it into flight mode and enabled a passcode (I gave them that) before sending it out.

I'll try to contact them somewhere around next Monday to Thursday to see if they have the part in stock, unless they reply to me.

What I can mention, is that they seem to be running their side of the chat through machine translations.

It's been 2 weeks and i already miss it!!

I really hope I can get it back before I have to leave, but it'll most likely not be the case.

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 01-06-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
Enthusiast
guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Inkbook 8
Quote:
I can't go further without a full system image to recover from
You already have the images on your device.
Code:
rkflashtool p
will show you addresses. For example on my ares:
Code:
CMDLINE: console=ttyS2 androidboot.baseband=N/A androidboot.selinux=permissive androidboot.hardware=rk30board androidboot.console=ttyS2 init=/init mtdparts=rk29xxnand:0x00002000@0x00002000(uboot),0x00002000@0x00004000(trust),0x00002000@0x00006000(wbf),0x00002000@0x00008000(misc),0x00008000@0x0000a000(resource),0x0000a000@0x00012000(kernel),0x00010000@0x0001c000(boot),0x00010000@0x0002c000(recovery),0x00038000@0x0003c000(backup),0x00040000@0x00074000(cache),0x00002000@0x000B4000(kpanic),0x00333000@0x000B6000(system),0x00008000@0x003E9000(metadata),0x00002000@0x003F1000(baseparamer),0x00020000@0x003F3000(radical_update),-@0x00413000(userdata)
With these addresses you can backup your whole system (there's no point downloading userdata using rkflashtool):
Code:
rkflashtool r 0x00002000 0x00002000 > uboot.img
rkflashtool r 0x00004000 0x00002000 > trust.img
rkflashtool r 0x00006000 0x00002000 > wbf.img
rkflashtool r 0x00008000 0x00002000 > misc.img
rkflashtool r 0x0000a000 0x00008000 > resource.img
rkflashtool r 0x00012000 0x0000a000 > kernel.img
rkflashtool r 0x0001c000 0x00010000 > boot.img
rkflashtool r 0x0002c000 0x00010000 > recovery.img
rkflashtool r 0x0003c000 0x00038000 > backup.img
rkflashtool r 0x00074000 0x00040000 > cache.img
rkflashtool r 0x000B4000 0x00002000 > kpanic.img
rkflashtool r 0x000B6000 0x00333000 > system.img
rkflashtool r 0x003E9000 0x00008000 > metadata.img
rkflashtool r 0x003F1000 0x00002000 > baseparamer.img
rkflashtool r 0x003F3000 0x00020000 > radical_update.img

Last edited by guest; 01-05-2020 at 05:39 PM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2020, 12:40 AM   #6
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

Thanks!

Edit: I could've used that to back up user data before sending it in for service...

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 01-06-2020 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
bejobo
bejobo began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook Ares
Hi
Reading your post /exchange as I just got myself a LikeBook Ares Note and I am looking forward to rooting it eventually...
The model is referenced as K78W, it is an octa-core 1.5Ghz chip so I assume it is RK3368.

Could you share the stock image there / in a dedicated thread?

Thanks

Are you aware of this thread at XDA?
bejobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
nowell29
nowell29 began at the beginning.

Device: LikeBook Mars T80D
Is there anything I can help contribute? I have a Mars. I was just fiddling with it this morning. I too can boot to fastboot and/or bootloader, but there is nothing useful on the screen (used ADB).

I'd like root, but mostly I'd like to figure out how to get the navigation/notification bar to the bottom of the screen rather than the top.
nowell29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

So here's an update. I had been checking with Boyue's support representative roughly every 2 weeks about the status of my repair request, and they mentioned that (after cleaning up their translated chat) their OEM hasn't yet got to making the replacement parts needed.

The display assembly on the Mimas not only includes the pen digitiser, EPD panel, front lighting, and touch digitiser, but it also includes the bezel and front buttons. Yeah, it includes the bezel. As they didn't have parts in stock and had to order them, that means my limited edition white model will become a regular black model, but if they do it correctly, they'll transplant the mainboard over, but then all my data would be 4-5 months out of date by the time I get it back in April! (according to the estimate they provided me)

Spoiler:
In the meanwhile, back in January, I bought a used Kobo Aura to use as a temporary e-reader, as one of my two current reads had been purchased on my Kobo account. Later, I ended up with a cheap broken Kindle Paperwhite 3 of which I bypassed the issue it has, and is usable aside from it no longer being able to respond to the cover (also I jailbroke it), and just this month, Kobo had a sale on their Singaporean device store, so I now have a new Kobo Clara HD, and plan to sell the Aura after doing some YouTube videos about it, following a subscriber update video I haven't yet recorded. Either that, or I might keep all 3 for my separate book research project, depending on how I feel at the time. However, I can confirm that Kobo's OverDrive integration seems to support "OverDrive Read" titles, on-device borrowing is limited to titles on Kobo Store, so other titles can be borrowed using the Libby app, OD app, or the OD Web interface. I plan to do a YT video about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejobo View Post
Hi
Reading your post /exchange as I just got myself a LikeBook Ares Note and I am looking forward to rooting it eventually...
The model is referenced as K78W, it is an octa-core 1.5Ghz chip so I assume it is RK3368.

Could you share the stock image there / in a dedicated thread?

Thanks
I'll try to remember to do so. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejobo View Post
Are you aware of this thread at XDA?
No, I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowell29 View Post
Is there anything I can help contribute? I have a Mars. I was just fiddling with it this morning. I too can boot to fastboot and/or bootloader, but there is nothing useful on the screen (used ADB).

I'd like root, but mostly I'd like to figure out how to get the navigation/notification bar to the bottom of the screen rather than the top.
I'm not too sure. What I can mention is that the navigation bar had been integrated into the status bar as a custom Boyue implementation rather than using the actual Android navigation bar, which I believe is why holding down the home button to bring up the Android user-defined device assistance app doesn't work.

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 03-24-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

Following from my previous post, what I can mention is that I'm still waiting for them to get the parts needed to complete my repair request. I'm hoping they'll get back to me this week!

However, while they offered to upgrade me to an Alita if I paid some amount of money (they didn't tell me), I declined and resisted, for several reasons:
  1. No page keys, so I'd have to run an overlay app in order to take screenshots. (EDIT 2: It turns out that they placed a "screenshot" toggle in the notification shade, but only in the 2.x firmware)
  2. I don't like the default case included with the Alita, however, i do believe I can use cases intended for stuff like the reMarkable 1st generation and Boox Note series, as long as it's a case with a sticky pad rather than a moulded holder
  3. I'd rather get a Boox Note2 rather than a Likebook Alita, as I don't see much of a difference between the two, though I still wish Onyx at least included memory card slots on their Boox devices. I could get one of the former, but the problem for me is that it'd blow a massive hole in my savings. As for the Boox Note Pro, that lacks USB hosting support which I'd want for my research project, while the Note2 runs on Onyx's newer hardware platform that I think uses rejected Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 chips (I can't confirm for obvious reasons) where the cellular and/or camera components had failed factory tests, and so Onyx disabled those in their Android software. I would've liked Onyx to make more use of the SoCs they put in their devices, and I'm hoping they do so with a possible "Boox Note2 Pro" that could have a colour display with a greyscale mode, which in turn would really benefit me as someone who primarily reads comics, oh yeah, a memory card slot and a few other features I wish for.

Today is also the beginning of a "circuit breaker" lockdown period in Singapore, where I live, that sounds comparable to similar things in the UK, US, and Italy, based on what I heard on Twitter. As part of that, I decided to stick to what I currently have and just read on those. More info here.

At least I have a Kobo e-reader that's new enough to have OverDrive integration, and the way I've been using mine is to borrow on Libby, then sync on Kobo. However. I do prefer to read comics at close to print size, so it's a little hard for me to do so with the 6" display of the Kobo Clara HD (I mainly bought it to use as part of my book research), but it can be done as the 300ppi display it has makes text readable, but I would've had to zoom in on the older 212ppi and 167ppi displays. Additionally, my tablet has a cracked screen protector (I haven't posted a photo of that yet), which may impede reading, but it's what I'll have to live with as I generate a lot of dust that would affect me installing screen protectors.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that someone dumped a firmware image here, and it looks like it could be modified to slip in Magisk and subsequently gain root access, but I feel a possible hurdle could be the stock recovery.

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 04-06-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:25 AM   #11
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

Here's an update. The l0ckdown in Singapore has been extended to 1 June, but just this week, the repair has been completed, and they have just mailed it out. As discussed (with them), they ran out of case parts, and had to order them from their OEM, which means that my white Mimas will become a black Mimas, but I'm fine with that.

However, as part of their diagnosis process, they had to do a factory reset in order to confirm that it wasn't a software issue, and in the process, in order to confirm that, they upgraded mine to the latest firmware, 2.3.x, so I'll have to spend time manually migrating my data back. Still, I'd like to see what new features (and bugs?) Boyue has brought to the table in their quest to try and copy some Onyx Boox features, albeit with more hardware features. Still, even though the warranty on mine has lapsed, I'll just use mine until it starts having issues and I can't fix it, and upgrade to a Boox Note series, and hopefully by then, Onyx would start offering hardware features I like.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

While I haven't formally announced this on my Instagram page as of this post, I got it back on 27 April, and they sent me a brand new device, but with the warranty carried over from the old one. There have been several build quality improvements compared to the white model, and with the 2.x firmware, they seem to be listening to user input now, so it has a better shell, though it still has room for improvement (firmware 2.3).

As such, I'll have to shelve this project while I get accustomed to the new UX.

EDIT 17/5/20: Part 1 of that formal announcement on Instagram can be reached from here, part 2 coming soon

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 05-16-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
While I haven't formally announced this on my Instagram page as of this post, I got it back on 27 April, and they sent me a brand new device, but with the warranty carried over from the old one. There have been several build quality improvements compared to the white model, and with the 2.x firmware, they seem to be listening to user input now, so it has a better shell, though it still has room for improvement (firmware 2.3).

As such, I'll have to shelve this project while I get accustomed to the new UX.
Glad to hear you got a working unit back at least.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #14
Jinz
Enthusiast
Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Likebook Mars, Imcosys V6l, Trekstor Pyrus
I found a process called "Stresstest for 6.0" running on my Mars. There is a massive data usage recorded on its info page, it looks like telemetry going on.

I'm also wondering if runnig any "stress tests" (running while idle?) could be responsible for the poor battery performance on the Mars?
Jinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinz View Post
I found a process called "Stresstest for 6.0" running on my Mars. There is a massive data usage recorded on its info page, it looks like telemetry going on.

I'm also wondering if runnig any "stress tests" (running while idle?) could be responsible for the poor battery performance on the Mars?
Strange, as I thought that was just an internal test thing and does not run in the background. Nevertheless, from what I remember, it can be reached through a 3rd-party launcher like KISS Launcher or Nova Launcher, or an app like "AppFinder" or Simple Mobile Tools "App Launcher".