Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have an older Itouch and the app wouldn't load, so I borrowed my brother's newer Itouch. I bought a book for $2. Sounds good (I've only listened to a couple of chapters). However, unless I can archive anything I buy, it certainly won't replace Audible even at those prices. The book I bought isn't one that I would likely listen to twice, so worthy of experimentation. They have a fair number of books from 99c to $1.99, so worth trying out. Currently limited to app only play.
I'm with you on this archive issue. If I can't archive it, I don't want it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It’s certainly a deal site with a small handful of books at any given time. It’s not a direct competitor to Audible. However, it appears to me that these are legit high quality books. Books sold at a great deal.
Quality should not be an issue since Bookbub deals mostly with tradpubs: they filter submissions and they skew BPH very heavily. It is very hard-to-impossible for Indies to get into their newsletters these days. It's not even new.

If anybody want to avoid even accidental exposure to Indie titles then Bookbub is the place to go.

https://rogerpacker.com/data-guy-rev...-indies-slump/

As for durability they should endure.
People love bargains.

These guys have been around forever:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Lots

(Well, over 50 years anyway.)

The only real danger is that promos are supposed to drive sales of regular price books and where the ebook newsletter sends people to existing ebookstores with both promo and regular titles, Chirp is a standalone operation. Odds are they add a lot of regular price books over time. They seem to have started.n

It'll be an interesting fight if they hang on to compete with Audible.

Does anybody know if Audible price matches, like Kindle?
That could be fun to watch: the Audible New Jersey crew aren't anywhere near as nice as the Kindle guys.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
FYI - I bought Rebel Yell, a book about stonewall Jackson. $4.99

It’s the same book, read by the same narrator as on Audible where it’s $40 or $15 with membership.

Pretty good deal, same book.
No reason not to be. It's a temporary promotion, not one of the Google play pirate books. (https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/...-ebook-piracy/)

They're probably not big enough for Audible to care.
For now.

I'm going to need lots of popcorn if they get big enough to matter:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson–Patman_Act

Quote:

The Robinson–Patman Act of 1936 (or Anti-Price Discrimination Act, Pub. L. No. 74-692, 49 Stat. 1526 (codified at 15 U.S.C. § 13)) is a United States federal law that prohibits anticompetitive practices by producers, specifically price discrimination. It was designed to protect small retail shops against competition from chain stores by fixing a minimum price for retail products.

The law grew out of practices in which chain stores were allowed to purchase goods at lower prices than other retailers. An amendment to the Clayton Antitrust Act, it prevented unfair price discrimination for the first time, by requiring that the seller offer the same price terms to customers at a given level of trade.
This *could* be a variant of volume based pricing, where a retailer gets a small number of deep discount titles to sell and the sale ends when they run out of them. Price matching is usually the response.

Something new to watch for. Things were getting boring.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Is there a way to see the deals without signing up? And has anyone tried to liberate books from the app?

I've searched for various titles--that works without signing up--and if they're not deals, they're all 10 percent off list price, putting most of them in the $20-$30 range. That's ridiculous if you can't archive them.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Has Audible's DRM been broken? I’ve never bothered, but do have a more than hundred books on Audible
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I feel as if I've maxed out the number of audiobook apps I want to use, at four: Audible, Downpour, OverDrive and Hoopla. The first two are because I have sizable holdings at each; the latter two because free listens. Enough. My eyes glaze over when I see promotions for Google, Kobo, Audiobooks and so forth; it's an app too far. I can't even be bothered with another freebie source, RBDigital. I admit I flirted with Tantor, but the app was so very terrible that it was an easy decision to delete it

So, that said, I think my attitude toward Chirp, given its short list of current deals and short track record would be to view any purchase there as a rental, a la Downpour, for immediate consumption, thus no need to future-proof. But when I can't even look at the deals without signing up? You're wasting my time, Chirp. Hook me with a deal, and then I'll sign up! But I'm not going to open myself to an inundation of promotional emails before I even know if I'm going to bite.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Has Audible's DRM been broken? I’ve never bothered, but do have a more than hundred books on Audible
aaxtomp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I feel as if I've maxed out the number of audiobook apps I want to use, at four: Audible, Downpour, OverDrive and Hoopla. The first two are because I have sizable holdings at each; the latter two because free listens. Enough. My eyes glaze over when I see promotions for Google, Kobo, Audiobooks and so forth; it's an app too far. I can't even be bothered with another freebie source, RBDigital. I admit I flirted with Tantor, but the app was so very terrible that it was an easy decision to delete it.
Audible, OK, if you're not converting to mp3; Hoopla, you have to use; but Downpour, Overdrive, and RBDigital are non-DRMed mp3 files and don't require their own apps.

Quote:
So, that said, I think my attitude toward Chirp, given its short list of current deals and short track record would be to view any purchase there as a rental, a la Downpour, for immediate consumption, thus no need to future-proof. But when I can't even look at the deals without signing up? You're wasting my time, Chirp. Hook me with a deal, and then I'll sign up! But I'm not going to open myself to an inundation of promotional emails before I even know if I'm going to bite.
Ditto.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The pickings are extremely slim; only 209 titles in their catalog. I prefer sci-fi and found 25 titles in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, and most of those were fantasy, which I don't like. Needless to say, they won't be getting my credit card.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #24
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The pickings are extremely slim; only 209 titles in their catalog. I prefer sci-fi and found 25 titles in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, and most of those were fantasy, which I don't like. Needless to say, they won't be getting my credit card.
I think it’s more of a “sign up and you get emails” type of thing. You peruse your email and if you see a deal on a book you would like, you buy it.

My initial worry was that these are cheap Indie books...but they aren’t. I agree with those who would still be concerned about “self archiving” or liberating the ebooks from DRM (as we all should be).

Of,course, the reason I canceled Audible is that I have too many audio books I’ve already purchased and haven’t read. These Chirp deals aren’t going to help me with my “buying books I don’t have time to read” problem.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Of,course, the reason I canceled Audible is that I have too many audio books I’ve already purchased and haven’t read. These Chirp deals aren’t going to help me with my “buying books I don’t have time to read” problem.
But they're massively discounted! Think of all the savings!
Remember, as they say: "You have to save money, regardless of the cost!"
Old 08-26-2019, 03:04 AM   #26
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
But they're massively discounted! Think of all the savings!
Remember, as they say: "You have to save money, regardless of the cost!"
The most money you save by not spending any in the first place.

You only save money on deals you were already buying at regular price.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree, and would like to amplify upon that logic:

The most money saved is to not buy anything - ever - from anyone concerning anything.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #28
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Sending PM
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #29
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
It doesn't hurt to have more books than you can read/listen. If you have a comfortable 5 years of books unread/unlistened, it will sustain you should you have tougher economic times (which becomes my issue next year). More than 5 years is a problem because tastes change. Even Paul, who is a very fast reader, has abandoned books that now don't interest him and his books aren't in que more than a year or two. With Chirp though, I would have to bring all those to the front and listen to them in case they go bust. Once I have a method of archiving, then it becomes a nonproblem.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I had trouble buying a 99-cent book (I just wanted to experiment), but they wouldn't accept a card from a non-U.S.A. bank. I sent an email to them on Friday. If I don't get a response, then I'll simply unsubscribe from their mailing list. I only received one promotional email from them, by the way, since subscribing. I was also excited about buying "Shardik" for $2.99 or $3.99. Looks like I'll have to say goodbye to that, unless they can figure out a way for me to use my card.