Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #31
jxall
Enthusiast
jxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Clara HD (patched, 100% kepubs); Calibre 5 (Win10)
I just tried again - this time with Great Expectations - and the problem is gone, the two versions are identical.

So the issue regards just Standard Ebook's David Copperfield and my Kobo for some reason.

Like I said, enabling/disabling 'Hyphenate files' and 'Clean up ePub markup' options in KoboTouchExtended produce no differences in the conversion of David Copperfield to kepub.

-EDIT-
Davidfor, how do you take screenshots from the Kobo?

Last edited by jxall; 01-18-2020 at 09:53 AM.
jxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I get why KePub is a filetype plugin. But KF8 should also be a filetype plugin given that only Kindles or Kindle apps can handle it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I get why KePub is a filetype plugin. But KF8 should also be a filetype plugin given that only Kindles or Kindle apps can handle it.
Jon ??
I am looking a Preferences: Plugins: File Type plugins. I have 7 entries and none are KePub (related)
OTOH

I see both AZW3 and KePub in the Conversion output plugins section

So you might see how I am confused here?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Jon ??
I am looking a Preferences: Plugins: File Type plugins. I have 7 entries and none are KePub (related)
OTOH

I see both AZW3 and KePub in the Conversion output plugins section

So you might see how I am confused here?
Calibre supports KF8 out of the box and yet KePub has to be added in. Both should ether be supported out of the box or both have to be added in.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxall View Post
I just tried again - this time with Great Expectations - and the problem is gone, the two versions are identical.

So the issue regards just Standard Ebook's David Copperfield and my Kobo for some reason.

Like I said, enabling/disabling 'Hyphenate files' and 'Clean up ePub markup' options in KoboTouchExtended produce no differences in the conversion of David Copperfield to kepub.

-EDIT-
Even though ePub has Kerning and KePub from SE, it won't always make a difference. But it does in the 1850 Preface. as without Kerning, the header splits into two lines.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxall View Post

Can I say something? Stop worrying about this. Pick a version and use it. The differences between them are pretty small. You will actually get more difference by changing the font size by one step. They probably already look nothing like any of the paper versions. Pick a version and use that. Calibre can convert to the others. Or, pick all of them and add them to calibre to do the sending.
Quote:
-EDIT-
Add to the following to the "Kobo eReader.conf" file on the device:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
If you already have a "FeatureSettings" section, add the other line there. If you are using Windows, make sure you use a Unix aware line-end editor (I recommend Notepad++).

To take a screenshot, press the power button. Unfortunately, the power button will no longer work to put the device to sleep or wake it. That's OK if you have a sleep cover. If not, you will want to remove the option, or change it to "false", later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #37
jxall
Enthusiast
jxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Clara HD (patched, 100% kepubs); Calibre 5 (Win10)
Yes, I figured that I will do that. Original kepub files are a rarity anyway.

Thanks for screenshot instructions!
jxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #38
Happy_Reader
Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Forma
Kepub files don't display as two-column

Using a Kobo Forma. I frequently read epub files in landscape orientation, small font - and the Kobo Forma displays them in two columns. Which is exactly what I want.

I have noticed that kepub files don't do this; they just display in one column.

Am I missing something, or is this just how they work?
Happy_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Reader View Post
Using a Kobo Forma. I frequently read epub files in landscape orientation, small font - and the Kobo Forma displays them in two columns. Which is exactly what I want.

Is this a question about the Calibre viewer? I am not sure KEPUB displays natively.

It has a setting to set the number of 'columns' in the display. (assumes you size the view window wider.
IN the Viewer: Esc (to get to the options if you don't use the sidebar): Page Layout: (about halfway down In Page mode (hint hint) :set your numbers
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Reader View Post

You can get columns with KePub. But the problem is that they don't work properly. The text does not switch columns on the same screen. You have to read the left column fully an then go back and read the right column fully. I have no idea how to fix this.If anyone has an idea, please say so.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:04 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is this a question about the Calibre viewer? I am not sure KEPUB displays natively.
The calibre viewer will open kepubs. But, it will just treat them as an epub. Which they are. The difference is on the Kobo devices were kepubs use a different renderer than epubs. And most of the differences are down to the renderer.

I'm pretty sure that the question is about what happens on the device. And I don't believe it is possible, to get multiple columns for a kepub. If I remember correctly, that is implemented by the RMSDK, not the renderer used for kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The calibre viewer will open kepubs. But, it will just treat them as an epub. Which they are. The difference is on the Kobo devices were kepubs use a different renderer than epubs. And most of the differences are down to the renderer.

I'm pretty sure that the question is about what happens on the device. And I don't believe it is possible, to get multiple columns for a kepub. If I remember correctly, that is implemented by the RMSDK, not the renderer used for kepubs.
Strictly speaking, if you add "columns: x;" to the CSS, you will get x number of columns. That would apply to all orientations though unlike RMSDK where it will automagically go to 2 columns (or 3 columns for the Aura One/Forma) when the number of characters on a line exceeds the limits.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #43
Happy_Reader
Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Forma
[QUOTE=theducks;4049050]Is this a question about the Calibre viewer? I am not sure KEPUB displays natively.

The question was about reading on Kobo Forma.

Thank you for all the responses. The consensus appears to be what I experience is the way things currently work on Kobo reader: EPUBs will automatically display 2-column if the reader decides the columns will fit. KEPUBs don't do this, and stay one column. DNSB points out KEPUBs can be tweaked to force multiple columns.

Last edited by Happy_Reader; 10-20-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Happy_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #44
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a reason for some of the difference. I had a look at your photo for the 1850 Preface and I know exactly what's going on. With the ePub version, RMSDK is using kerning. With KePub, there is no kerning. So what's happening is that some of the characters in the KePub as not as close together and the title doesn't fit on one line.

Now you can fix this with options in the KoboTouchExtended driver. But as the KePub was made, you'd have to edit the CSS to ads in the options.

I have no idea of kepuify has such options to turn on kerning and hyphenation.
What CSS needs to be added, where, to enable kerning in kepubs in this way?
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
What CSS needs to be added, where, to enable kerning in kepubs in this way?
There are options in the KoboTouchExtended driver.