Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #1141
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Using 4.6 here. For a long time I was a faithful weekly updater, and then life got in the way... and now I just update the occasional plug-in.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #1142
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can do what a lot of people are doing (one full install and one portable install). If you want to run 5.x as your main Calibre, install the 4.23 portable and then you can use 4.23 to remove any DRM and 5.x for everything else.
Right, but as I mentioned at least twice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't understand the point of installing two versions of Calibre. What are the benefits of running two versions? What killer new feature does Calibre 5 bring that makes it necessary to run alongside 4.23?
Quote:
..My primary use for Calibre is to convert my Amazon purchased books to ePub for my Kobo and Nook.

...older Calibre is more useful and I don't see what having a second install of Calibre will do. What new features are there in Calibre 5 that makes it a 'must update'?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #1143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Using 4.6 here. For a long time I was a faithful weekly updater, and then life got in the way... and now I just update the occasional plug-in.
I suggest you install 4.23 as that works rather well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #1144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't understand the point of installing two versions of Calibre. What are the benefits of running two versions? What killer new feature does Calibre 5 bring that makes it necessary to run alongside 4.23?

I installed 5, but once I saw de-DRM doesn't work I rolled back to 4.23 and will wait for everything to sort itself out.
I have the portable 5.x installed so I can test plugins. I hae been testing the current code for the DeDRM plugin and I've tested some of the plugins that I use that were not fixed for Python 3 before 5.0 was released.

Also, if you want to annotate, you need 5.x.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #1145
Bookstooge
Addict
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
How would one go about finding those blog posts?
It was back during Dark Reverser's time and sadly, they are gone. It was on an old blog I ran that I deleted in a fit of melancholia one day.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #1146
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
It was back during Dark Reverser's time and sadly, they are gone. It was on an old blog I ran that I deleted in a fit of melancholia one day.
Any chance they are on the wayback machine at archive.org?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #1147
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you install 4.23 as that works rather well.
Why 4.23 over 4.6?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #1148
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Why 4.23 over 4.6?
Because, with 4.23, you can switch between 4.23 and 5.x without affecting calibre datebase.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #1149
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Why 4.23 over 4.6?
Well for one thing, 4.23 is compatible with the 5.x database. So if anyone wants to install a portable 5.x, then the database change won't be an issue.

Also, 4.23 as the latest updates/fixes for the 4 series.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #1150
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Man, it's taking quite sometime for them to get DeDrm working in 5, isn't it? I've been waiting for them to come out with it.

I guess I might have uninstall and go get an older version of Calibre and reinstall I guess if I can even find one. What a pain in the arse. Last time I ever just update Calibre when it tells me there's an update available like I usually do!
This is a community garden. If you want tomatoes, you're welcome to start digging.

Previous versions of calibre are easy to find. Here's the last that works for DeDRM: https://download.calibre-ebook.com/4.23.0/
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #1151
Blaineoreski
Enthusiast
Blaineoreski began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anyone have a link to the step-by-step for rolling back to 4.23?

Is there any way to achieve this without needing to re-install existing plugins?

Sincerely,

Blaine
Blaineoreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #1152
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
Please take all Calibre support questions to the Calibre forums.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote