Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
RodFrey
Rod Fitzsimmons Frey
RodFrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Question App idea feedback

Hi - I posted this to the Content area as well, before I realized this would be a better place to ask my question. Apologies for crossposting. I'm asking advice about an app I'm considering building using the KDK.

What I'm wondering is if anybody here thinks it would be a good idea to use your Kindle to access all the attachments (word documents, powerpoint files, spreadsheets, etc) in your email. That is, you could see lists of all the attachments you've ever received in your email, search them, etc. and if you want, select them and then have them accessible on your Kindle (usually as a PDF).

In my imagination the typical user would be somebody who always has their Kindle with them anyhow, and could fire it up on the train or whatever to review a proposal, look at a Word doc they were supposed to read, etc. and be able to do so spontaneously, without remembering to copy the file the day before.

I think *I'd* use it, but I'd like to know at least one other person would too, before I spend a month of my life building it.
RodFrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
ppe
ppe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx gw
App ideas..

Personally, I'm still waiting for the file browser app that supports folders. And in addition maybe tagging and commenting files and moving them to a folder.

I guess some Notepad/Todolist/Calendar functionality would also be appreciated by many. Or an RSS reader.

Regarding your idea...what emails are you talking about? For a full email client you could use existing POP3/IMAP clients and write a MUA frontend. I guess with KDK you would have to do all this in Java so you can't reuse fetchmail or something like that. Lots of work because of KDK limitation.

OTOH, if you're just talking about the eMails received from amazon to yourself, I don't really see the point. I just use the USB connection..

Another nice hack would be to use USBNetwork by default and add dhcp and file server to that, e.g. udhcpc and gatling. Then you can read docs while accessing the storage via ftp/http/smb.
ppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
RodFrey
Rod Fitzsimmons Frey
RodFrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks for the reply, ppe. With regard to what I'm thinking of, it would be a browser of all documents that were sent to any or all of your email accounts - basically an attachment browser. The attachments wouldn't be on the kindle, just metadata. When you wanted to read an document it would then get sent to the kindle.

You could look at "all Word documents" or "all documents sent to me by Frank Smith", or just do a keyword search. It basically would open up all the documents in your email history to your kindle. Big chunk of server work there as well as the kindle app, so it'd be nice to know somebody else would use it. So far not looking so good.
RodFrey is offline   Reply With Quote