Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 PM   #2116
tagnaw
tagnaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks knc1. I upgraded to 5.8.9.2. Restarted, deleted and repasted kual, restarted, deleted and repasted MrPI, restarted, reinstalled python and screensaver packages using MrPI, restarted.
Now I'm looking at a kfx cover screensaver!
tagnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #2117
tagnaw
tagnaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Forgot to mention I deleted original and pasted your kfxmeta.py in linkss/bin!!
Thanks again.
tagnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:22 AM   #2118
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagnaw View Post
Thanks knc1. I upgraded to 5.8.9.2. Restarted, deleted and repasted kual, restarted, deleted and repasted MrPI, restarted, reinstalled python and screensaver packages using MrPI, restarted.
Now I'm looking at a kfx cover screensaver!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagnaw View Post
Forgot to mention I deleted original and pasted your kfxmeta.py in linkss/bin!!
Thanks again.
A nice note on which to end a day.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #2119
lelukas
lelukas began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
hey, whats about the names of kindles on the thread?

PW2 (Paperwhite 2)
PW3 (Paperwhite 3)
PW3W (Paperwhite 3 White?)
KT2 (?)
KV (Kindle Voyage)
KOA (Kindle Oasis)
KT3 (?)

what T stands for?
lelukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #2120
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelukas View Post
hey, whats about the names of kindles on the thread?

PW2 (Paperwhite 2)
PW3 (Paperwhite 3)
PW3W (Paperwhite 3 White?)
KT2 (?)
KV (Kindle Voyage)
KOA (Kindle Oasis)
KT3 (?)

what T stands for?
Let me guess - You haven't looked at the model table yet:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

"Kindle Touch"

Although it is a bit incorrect in the case of the KT2 and KT3 (they are actually the second and third generations of the K4 - minus the glue and the buttons, plus the K5's (a.k.a: KT's) touch screen).
The story behind that naming is buried in a thread on this forum somewhere.

And in case you are not from the USA, or just didn't notice -
The KOA is the campground model.
Ref: http://koa.com/ Slogan: "Book. More summer moments together."

Last edited by knc1; 06-28-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Advert
Old 06-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #2121
lelukas
lelukas began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Let me guess - You haven't looked at the model table yet:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

"Kindle Touch"

Although it is a bit incorrect in the case of the KT2 and KT3 (they are actually the second and third generations of the K4 - minus the glue and the buttons, plus the K5's (a.k.a: KT's) touch screen).
The story behind that naming is buried in a thread on this forum somewhere.

And in case you are not from the USA, or just didn't notice -
The KOA is the campground model.
Ref: http://koa.com/ Slogan: "Book. More summer moments together."

oh, didn't know there's actually a table for that. thank you. gonna check that out
lelukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #2122
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelukas View Post
oh, didn't know there's actually a table for that. thank you. gonna check that out
If you decide to jail break your PW-3 so that you can use our add-in applications -
That table will be one of the first things you'll be told to use.
(You need the local nickname for your device in this forum.)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #2123
MerdaFit
MerdaFit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Am I missing something here? A friend of mine recently got a Voyage that was shipped with 5.8.9.0.1 and wanted me to jailbreak it for him after he had seen mine. I assumed I wouldn't be able to, but the downgrade to 5.5.0 worked fine as did the rest of the procedure. I thought anything over 5.8.7 was a no go?
MerdaFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #2124
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle PW2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerdaFit View Post
A friend of mine recently got a Voyage that was shipped with 5.8.9.0.1 ...
Are you sure about the version number?

The most recent known versions were 5.8.9.2, 5.8.9, 5.8.8, 5.8.7.0.1, 5.8.7...
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #2125
MerdaFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Are you sure about the version number?

The most recent known versions were 5.8.9.2, 5.8.9, 5.8.8, 5.8.7.0.1, 5.8.7...
Yeah I'm positive, because I got mine and it was 5.8.7.0.1 which I expected to work. As soon as I saw his version number as 5.8.9.0.1 I was concerned. Should have taken a screenshot or something.

I thought the issue was that when you put the update_KV_5.5.0_initial.bin on there the Kindle just deletes it rather than update, but the 'Update Your Kindle' option was not greyed out so everything worked fine. Maybe 5.8.9.0.1 is some version only used in shipping? I dunno. He's up and running on 5.8.9.2 with jailbreak in tact now though.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #2126
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Yeah I'm positive
- - - - -
Maybe 5.8.9.0.1 is some version only used in shipping? I dunno. He's up and running on 5.8.9.2 with jailbreak in tact now though.
No such animal known at Amazon (USA).
Ref: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720
Scroll down to voyage.

With some very rare exceptions back in the non-touchscreen days, that is a complete list of every firmware version ever built (and shipped from the USA).

- - - - -

What country was it purchased in? (Country sold from, seller's country)
What country was it delivered to? (Country sold to, purchaser's country)
Post the first six (6) characters of the serial number please.

There have been a few "Country Specific" firmwares in the past, this might be another one.
And at least one of them could be jail broken although by the USA based rules, it should not have been possible.

Last edited by knc1; 06-28-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #2127
MerdaFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No such animal known at Amazon (USA).
Ref: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720
Scroll down to voyage.

With some very rare exceptions back in the non-touchscreen days, that is a complete list of every firmware version ever built (and shipped from the USA).

- - - - -

What country was it purchased in? (Country sold from, seller's country)
What country was it delivered to? (Country sold to, purchaser's country)
Post the first six (6) characters of the serial number please.

There have been a few "Country Specific" firmwares in the past, this might be another one.
And at least one of them could be jail broken although by the USA based rules, it should not have been possible.
Bought in the US from Amazon. SN starts 901309
Old 06-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #2128
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Bought in the US from Amazon. SN starts 901309
Either you read the '7' as a '9' or it was a shipment error on the part of Amazon.
Because they never, intentionally, shipped that version of the firmware.
It could have been a 'review' device, now returned but somehow skipped the refurbishment step.

Strange, but not unheard of.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #2129
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
But @knc1 how does DGA-1 work on 5.8.9.0.1.? Seems like some devices might accept factory downgrades even when on 5.8.9.2.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #2130
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
But @knc1 how does DGA-1 work on 5.8.9.0.1.? Seems like some devices might accept factory downgrades even when on 5.8.9.2.
You might want to reread the previous posts and click on the link to Amazon. There is no known 5.8.9.0.1.

Have you actually tried to downgrade from 5.8.8 or higher? If not, then please quit saying it might work.
You need to make sure something works before suggesting it.
Trust me when I say your elders risked their kindles before posting here.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote