Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
fionvarre
fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.fionvarre knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Pocketbook 360, Nook Simple Touch
HELP: Rooted Nook Touch not recognizing SD card anymore after repartition attempt

I rooted my Nook Touch using NookManager successfully, but wanted more usable space on my 32GB SD card afterwards, since the rooting process resulted in two readable partitions with roughly 250 MB (NookBackup) and 80 MB (NookManager), while the rest of the card's unallocated space can't be accessed.

I posted a help thread here in the Nook developer's corner earlier and was told I might have better luck with the xda deveopers forum, so I posted for help there and was told to simply repartition my card using partition magic, which isn't free. Except, when I loaded the card into my laptop's SD card reader, I got a prompt saying that the card was unformatted and would I like to format it now? I know formatting would wipe all the data (which I couldn't access anyway since the cardreader wouldn't read the card), so I decided to try a data recovery using Easeus partition manager (couldn't do an image backup because of the inability to read the card's contents).

The data seems to have been recovered completely, but I don't know how to return the data to the card in the same state it was before I did the reformat. Also, I tried repartitioning the SD card after recovering the data and reformatting, but Minitool Partition Wizard won't create the partitions that I select, and now when I reinsert the SD card into the Nook it won't recognize the card either.

Hope someone here can help me. If the worst case scenario happens I won't be able to return my Nook to stock state either, because the backup image was made using NookManager, and all the data is probably buried somewhere in the data recovery I made earlier which I don't know how to re-incorporate into the card.

Note to mods:

This was originally posted in the general nook thread, but I reposted here at ravensknight's suggestion. Can't seem to delete the original thread though.
fionvarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Android uses the Linux/Unix file system, which is why you can't see or access the partitions in your laptop. Download the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, burn it to CD and boot your laptop with it. You can run Ubuntu without having to install it on your laptop.
Once you're in Ubuntu, you can do what you want with the files on your SD card. You can use GParted on Linux instead of MiniTool Partition Wizard.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionvarre View Post
I rooted my Nook Touch using NookManager successfully, but wanted more usable space on my 32GB SD card afterwards, since the rooting process resulted in two readable partitions with roughly 250 MB (NookBackup) and 80 MB (NookManager), while the rest of the card's unallocated space can't be accessed.

I posted a help thread here in the Nook developer's corner earlier and was told I might have better luck with the xda deveopers forum, so I posted for help there and was told to simply repartition my card using partition magic, which isn't free. Except, when I loaded the card into my laptop's SD card reader, I got a prompt saying that the card was unformatted and would I like to format it now? I know formatting would wipe all the data (which I couldn't access anyway since the cardreader wouldn't read the card), so I decided to try a data recovery using Easeus partition manager (couldn't do an image backup because of the inability to read the card's contents).

The data seems to have been recovered completely, but I don't know how to return the data to the card in the same state it was before I did the reformat. Also, I tried repartitioning the SD card after recovering the data and reformatting, but Minitool Partition Wizard won't create the partitions that I select, and now when I reinsert the SD card into the Nook it won't recognize the card either.
I had a similar problem with one of my SD cards after I burned and used the card with one of the rooting/recovery tools: my Nook does not recognize the card, and the card cannot be repartitioned (EASUS and MiniTool would go through the motion but fail to create new partition).

FWIW through some trials/errors I was able to recover the card by first reformatting it with Windows (while in Windows Explorer right click on the SDcard then select "Format"), then reformatting with SD Formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/) with the Full OverWrite option.

From this experience I now have a few small cards (2GB-4GB, hence relatively inexpensive) set aside for backup/flashing/rooting uses.

Quote:
Hope someone here can help me. If the worst case scenario happens I won't be able to return my Nook to stock state either, because the backup image was made using NookManager, and all the data is probably buried somewhere in the data recovery I made earlier which I don't know how to re-incorporate into the card.
Assuming your Nook is a non-Glow Simple Touch, if you ever need go back to stock ROM config you might consider using the TouchFormatter tool posted at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1475613 which should restore your NST to factory fresh state with FW v1.1 (from which you can upgrade to the current FW version using standard BN FW update process). I had used it successfully with my NST after a borked rooting operation.

Last edited by livramax; 05-11-2013 at 12:07 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks, already decided against using my 8GB, for much the same reason. This definitely decides me to get hold of a smaller card or 2 to reserve for that.

PS. The SD Formatter is now up to version 4 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote