Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Installing CM 10.x Internally on Nook Tablet

[See post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=40 for the revised version of this post with updated links/pointers to Succulent's recent CM10.1 builds as well as CWM/TWRP recovery tool compilation]

I've been running CM10 build by XDA Developer Succulent version 12/08 on SD card since its release ten days ago, and its reliable/stable performance has crossed the threshold for me to finally take the plunge and install it internally on emmc.

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM10 internally on my 16GB Nook Tablet (i.e., on its emmc) (caveat emptor: adopt/follow it at your own risk).
  1. Create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. If you are going to use this card for backing up your NT, keep in mind that each backup will require at least 600MB (for a barebone stock or CM config) and size the partition accordingly.
  2. Obtain and copy to the SD card the following files:
    1. MLO, u-boot.bin, and flashing_boot.img in SD_boot.zip obtained from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...r-nook-tablet/
    2. either one of the two recovery program image files: cwm_6012_sd.img (ClockworkMod Recovery (aka CWM)) in CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_sdcard.zip, or twrp_2220_sd.img (TeamWin Recovery Project (aka TWRP)) in CM9-10_TWRP_v2.2.2.0_8-16gb_tools_sdcard.zip from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1640958, rename it to recovery.img. If you want to try out (or use) both, name your alternate choice altboot.img.
    3. the file cm-10-yyyymmdd-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...let-uploading/
    4. the file gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip from http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
  3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  4. Select either SDC Recovery (or Alternate Boot depending on which recovery tool you want to use).
  5. Select Backup to backup your current NT config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data). Before proceeding to next step, see note (ii) near the end of this post.
  6. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
  7. Select install zip from SD card and install cm-10 zip file.
  8. Select install zip from SD card and install gapps zip file.
  9. Select power of and remove SD card from NT and power NT on again using the power button (alternatively you can just remove SD card and select reboot).

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service your apps will be auto-downloaded (but not their settings will not be auto-restored)

A few additional points worth noting:
  1. Installing CM10 ROM and gapps will override your NT's BN-provided boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using backup process in step #5 above, safekeep the backup data on your PC/Laptop and better yet archive it on CD/DVD. Your media files in the NT media partition BN allocates for user should be intact.
  2. To play it safe you should do the above in 2 phases: steps 1 through 5, then exit recovery and remove and mount SD card on PC to verify that backup data got newly created; then insert SD card and continue steps 6 through 9.
  3. See this post for an overview of CWM and its menu navigation using the NT buttons. TWRP provides comparable functions but uses a user-friendly touchscreen based interface.
  4. CWM and TWRP use different backup archive formats, so keep this in mind if you decide to switch. Furthermore, CWM has changed its format going from release 5.x to 6.x, so I think it would be prudent to save a copy of the recovery program together with the backup data it generated. (FWIW I prefer the tar/zip compatible backup data structure TWRP uses (which CWM 5.x had also used) over the BLOb structure which CWM 6.x use -- but YMMV).
  5. To restore from backup data, boot into SD card select from boot menu the same recovery program that was used to create the backup data, then select the particular backup dataset (indexed by date/time) you want to reinstall on your NT.
  6. I would advise against blindly using other functions of the CWM and TWRP without looking up info and researching to understand what they really do.
  7. See my post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=31 for more "Info, Pointers, and Tips for Risk Mitigation in Rooting and Custom-ROM Flashing".

Last edited by livramax; 07-07-2013 at 10:15 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
ZRO
ZRO began at the beginning.

Device: ZRO
Thanks!

Excellent guide, your instructions worked much better than most I've seen. Thank you so much for your time and post!
ZRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ran into a problem with v12/08: when I connect the NT to the PC I do not get the “USB connected” notification with option to “turn on the USB storage”, and thus cannot access neither the emmc media partition nor the sdcard. The problem exists with both CM10 running on emmc and running on sdcard. Furthermore when running on sdcard, hitting “storage” in “settings” results in a force-close of “settings”.

I am curious if anyone else has the same problem, or I am just missing some setup setting somewhere.

In the meantime, I am back to running another ROM off SD.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I replied over in the XDA thread, but I don't have any of those problems with my 1208 internal install. Nor the sd install.
All I notice right now is that battery meter is a bit iffy.It jumps up to 100% as soon as I plug it in. I realize it's not 100% and it does keep on charging, so it' snot something I worry about.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
fljoe
fljoe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet 16GB
I am having issues using Dropbox using the cm10-121208_acclaim_sd_hd.img running on a SD card. Everytime I try to import a file, it says SDCard Full. I have partitioned 12GB on the 16GB card for SDCard (0x0C FAT32 LBA). Anyone else have the same problem with Dropbox?
fljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm not having any problems with 1208 on my Tablet either. I am seeing the same problem about "USB connected..." not showing up on my HD+. I'm not allowed to post on the XDA web site though...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljoe View Post
Anyone else have the same problem with Dropbox?
No, not me! Just tried it with my 1208 running from sd. No problem! Have you set the right download location?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
fljoe

Probably not

Probably not .. How do I do that? Sorry for being a total newbie as I always hold down on the file and Import to Aldiko or it asks me to Save to SD.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I ran into a problem with v12/08: when I connect the NT to the PC I do not get the “USB connected” notification with option to “turn on the USB storage”, and thus cannot access neither the emmc media partition nor the sdcard. The problem exists with both CM10 running on emmc and running on sdcard. Furthermore when running on sdcard, hitting “storage” in “settings” results in a force-close of “settings”.

I am curious if anyone else has the same problem, or I am just missing some setup setting somewhere.

In the meantime, I am back to running another ROM off SD.
I found the answer to my problem: I was used to getting the full-screen alert “USB mass storage” (upon insertion of tethered USB cable), and didn’t notice the tiny alert “USB connected” on the status bar (which when pulled down would in turn launch the “USB mass storage” alert).

Back in business with running ROM natively.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
fljoe

Got it working

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljoe View Post
I am having issues using Dropbox using the cm10-121208_acclaim_sd_hd.img running on a SD card. Everytime I try to import a file, it says SDCard Full. I have partitioned 12GB on the 16GB card for SDCard (0x0C FAT32 LBA). Anyone else have the same problem with Dropbox?
I solved my problem with Dropbox. I looked at the SDCard with MiniTool Partition program and found that the 4th partition labelled "SDCARD" was partitioned as "Logical". I deleted this partition and recreated it as "FAT32" and "Primary". Now Dropbox sees my SDCard partition and I can save the files without any problems.

Thanks to all those that chimed in to help me out!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Great news Joe!!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
livramax
Addict

FWIW, I installed v12/25 several days ago and so far it performs pretty nicely.

Last edited by livramax; 12-31-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
fljoe

I have been running CM10 off the external SD Card and it has been working great. However I need to connect my charging cable to get CM10 to boot off the external SD Card.

I will take the plunge and install it internally. Hopefully to boot CM10 off the Internal EMMC, I will not need to plug in my charging cable any more.

@livramax or anyone else who is running CM10 off the internal EMMC, can you please confirm the above statement.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
No problems. When you install on internal memory, you're replacing the stock ROM with CM10, so the stock ROM is no longer there to boot to. It has no choice but to boot CM10.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
livramax
Addict

@fljoe: to be able to boot up (or reboot into) CM10 untethered is a primary reason I took the plunge and installed CM10 internally.

I'd recommend you take the time to backup your current stock ROM (step #5 in first post), the backup data will be handy if you ever need to restore stock ROM for warranty service. FWIW I prefer using TWRP ("Altboot" in step #4) over CWM ("SDC Recovery) for its tar/zip-like data backup format as well as its touchscreen based navigation menu.

Also, make sure you "wipe data/factory reset" (step #6) so that you don't end up with problems caused by CM10 being contaminated with cache/config data residue left by the stock ROM.