Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
kingjimmi
kingjimmi began at the beginning.

Sony Connect screwing me . . .

I bought a book from Sony Connect about 10 days ago. When I went to download it the wrong book was sent to me. When I complained to Sony they said they'd have to get back to me . . . well after a week of waiting I sent another message to Sony and demanded a refund. Still waiting on Sony to get their act together and give me a response.

I don't understand how Sony expects the Sony Reader to succeed if they can't get their online store working correctly. I also don't understand how they can screw up so bad and not give me a refund. By this point in time I have already gone to a conventional bookstore and bought and read the book already and still Sony has yet to respond to my problem.
kingjimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest you give Sony a call. Speak to someone and get it sorted then and there. If they don't get it sorted, call your credit card company and tell them of the problem and that you have tried to get it sorted with Sony. The credit card company will refund your money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you give Sony a call. Speak to someone and get it sorted then and there. If they don't get it sorted, call your credit card company and tell them of the problem and that you have tried to get it sorted with Sony. The credit card company will refund your money.
Most credit card companies will want this sent in a letter so they have a paper trail signed by you. I would definitely suggest calling your card company as JSWolf says immediately and finding out exactly what the procedure is. They may be able to initiate the process over the phone, pending receipt of your letter.

I bet that Sony will adopt the Adobe Digital Edition format, add that to the Reader in a future (hopefully the one which is rumored to be released later this month) update and then will bow out of the e-book sales market, getting back to hardware, which they do so well, and abandoning content sales, which they do so poorly.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is absolutely no way that DE is going to be in this month's update - for goodness sake, it's not even out in a beta version for Linux yet. I'm afraid you're being wildly optimistic. I certainly don't expect to see it until early next year at the soonest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is absolutely no way that DE is going to be in this month's update - for goodness sake, it's not even out in a beta version for Linux yet. I'm afraid you're being wildly optimistic. I certainly don't expect to see it until early next year at the soonest.
I don't expect it this month either but next year ? Rendering an XML file on a screen: that's pretty easy. Obviously, you don't need more than 6 months for this, and I'm pretty sure than some work has already been done...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I work for a large company myself and I know that it takes them months to do anything. I really wouldn't be at all surprised it if took 6 months for DE to show up on the Reader after it's released.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm pretty confident that there isn't any Sony firmware update in the near future. I saw some indications back in February that there was another coming, but nothing since then.

At this stage, I'd expect them to wait for the DE release, and yeah they'll have to have some time after Adobe finishes with it to get it into their applications. Though, I would expect them to be working with each other to get it out as quickly as they can, it's certainly in the interest of both companies to do so.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Someone quoted a reply from Sony support recently, Nat (I think it was related to the battery meter bug) in which a July firmware update was referred to.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, but I'm suspicious the help desk folks may be ... misinformed. I haven't seen anything to support that anywhere else.

Salt to taste.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Time will tell.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yup, and for the record, I'd like to be wrong here.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Can't say that I'm too fussed about it. My Reader does what I want it to now. If it does more in the future, that'll be nice, but I'm not going to worry about it . For me, the battery meter bug is a trivial annoyance, although I know that some people don't share that view.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Though, I would expect them to be working with each other to get it out as quickly as they can, it's certainly in the interest of both companies to do so.
Well I remember reading somewhere that PDF support for the reader was actually developed by Adobe themselves, and based on an early version of the code for DE.
In this case, we can pretty much expect Adobe to be the one porting DE to the Reader right ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
In this case, we can pretty much expect Adobe to be the one porting DE to the Reader right ?
Excellent point, Hadrien, and I believe you're correct on the PDF side of things. I still expect that Sony will have some things to do on their end to integrate the D.E. piece with the rest of their app suite, that's what I was thinking of, but I wasn't clear, sorry 'bout that.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Adobe did the PDF code for the Sony Reader, why did they botch it up so badly?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote