Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you spend more time with your tablet or your laptop?
Tablet 37 35.58%
Laptop 59 56.73%
About the same 8 7.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2016, 04:45 AM   #31
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I read on my tablet, so that's an easy win.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #32
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Based strictly on the poll results, laptops are coming in way ahead of tablets.

I am surprised to see how many people have reported that a desktop is their first choice - I thought I was just old-fashioned.
Some of us will even use a laptop hooked up to a GIANT Monitor which is really more a desktop than a laptop.

I use all the sizes of computers. Analogous to Master Po in Kung Fu teaching "all styles."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I am surprised to see how many people have reported that a desktop is their first choice - I thought I was just old-fashioned.
In my personal opinion, a laptop is a pointless progression between a desktop and a truly mobile device. I never was comfortable using a computer on my lap. So if I'm going to be sitting at a table anyway, it may as well be in front of a big monitor hooked to a high-end, permanent PC. And when "I'm on the go," and want a a device that's truly mobile, I'll take a 6" tablet that still fits in my back pocket, as opposed to a laptop that needs a carrying bag and accessories.

For my needs, a laptop is a gangly, unwieldy (and underpowered) dinosaur. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
In my personal opinion, a laptop is a pointless progression between a desktop and a truly mobile device. I never was comfortable using a computer on my lap. So if I'm going to be sitting at a table anyway, it may as well be in front of a big monitor hooked to a high-end, permanent PC. And when "I'm on the go," and want a a device that's truly mobile, I'll take a 6" tablet that still fits in my back pocket, as opposed to a laptop that needs a carrying bag and accessories.

For my needs, a laptop is a gangly, unwieldy (and underpowered) dinosaur. *shrug*
Hubby has his laptop hooked up to a monitor. Mine has a full keyboard attached.
No reason a laptop can't be used like a desktop.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #35
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I no longer have a laptop, I use my IPad or my full all in one desktop. And I use my IPad most of the time.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hubby has his laptop hooked up to a monitor. Mine has a full keyboard attached.
No reason a laptop can't be used like a desktop.
No reason at all. But it's still an underpowered (and sometimes more expensive) "mobile" device that doesn't travel very well being used as a desktop.

As I said ... I just personally have no use for anything in between a full-blown, powerhouse, permanent PC and a mobile device that fits in my pocket. I don't have any "almost a PC (but not quite a mobile device)" itches that need scratched right now.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
No reason at all. But it's still an underpowered (and sometimes more expensive) "mobile" device that doesn't travel very well being used as a desktop.

As I said ... I just personally have no use for anything in between a full-blown, powerhouse, permanent PC and a mobile device that fits in my pocket. I don't have any "almost a PC (but not quite a mobile device)" itches that need scratched right now.
My go to device is a tablet. But then I mostly just come here and cookingbites or look stuff up.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #38
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Since I got my Tab S 8.4 I do almost everything on a tablet. Web surfing was just too painful on a 7 inch tablet. I hate mobile websites so I normally use Opera browser with the UA set to desktop. For MobileRead I usually use Tapatalk.

I use a computer so infrequently now that it's more difficult to type. I use Swiftkey keyboard on my tablets and once you use it for a while it can suggest your next word fairly reliably. I also don't have to remember how to spell - after typing some letters I can just tap on the suggestion. I never use auto complete. I'm actually on my desktop now and keep looking up so I don't have to type the rest of the word and then I realize I can't tap on the word I want.

I use my laptop so infrequently that it usually has to be charged to do anything.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't have a tablet or a desktop (neither would suit my needs). My trusty laptop is constantly in use, and so is my smartphone (when outside). For book reading I use my e-ink Kindles.

So I couldn't really participate in the poll.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #40
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Desktop with Linux for personal stuff, laptop for reading forums I'm interested in and some correspondence. Phone for texting kid in UK. Phone for night sky viewing with binos or scope,

Tablet used to watch MLB At Bat and a fantastic solitaire game I bought years ago.

Read on the inkBOOK.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #41
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Alpha o, you really need a better picture of your cat. Every time I look at it, I have to stare hard to figure out what I'm looking at!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #42
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Alpha o, you really need a better picture of your cat. Every time I look at it, I have to stare hard to figure out what I'm looking at!
The first thing I saw was the light-colored streak that runs from above the eye up the inside of the ear - it looked like some amorphous blob to me
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #43
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
I love my iPad because I'm nearsighted and I can hold it close enough so I can read without my glasses. I also love the portability of it. So that's what I gravitate to for web browsing and reading tech books. I use the iPad mini or ereaders for reading novels. For serious stuff, I need the laptops about 25% of the time. I switch between Windows 10 and & OSX. Haven't owned a desktop in years. I hate being tied down to one room.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I never had that problem. We have a cat that looks just like that, and she's terrible!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:58 AM   #45
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

I do have a PC (a powerhouse, made for playing modern games). I also have a laptop. It's a work laptop and it's even called a "Mobile Workstation". I personally would not have bought it: for its price, I could have bought 2 PC's, including monitors. But, my boss thinks (and I agree with him) that if you are detached at a customer, you need to be able to bring your own device, that is able to do everything a normal PC can do. Is it portable: yes. Would you put it on your lap for a longer period of time: no. But it's a perfect device if you don't have a PC at your workplace and need some serious processor power (I'm a developer, building and compiling generally is intensive work).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote