Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
kindle 3 - pluggin usb controller?

Hi,

I have just recently bought a Kindle 3. It is a great device, but I have one small problem with it. The buttons for next page are a little bit noisy (well compared to tap zones on my pda...), so when I read in my bed, my wife is not happy... .

So I was thinking if the usb would be useful for plug of any controlled device - e.g. mouse - I have allready modded mouse to be completely silent. Or some silent keyboard..
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Wow. And the K3 is much quieter than the K1!

Let see what some of the experts say.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
My K3 is very quiet there is no way to hear the bottons at all. I will calling CS and getting me a new one.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
We need IBM buckling-spring keys - to be absolutely sure we've pressed that key
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
jozicka
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
My K3 is very quiet there is no way to hear the bottons at all. I will calling CS and getting me a new one.
Strange - well I have received it just yesterday. Could it be like random thing? (diff. date of production).

I can record it to prove it is really not noiseless.

(.. on my wishlist would be additional sensor buttons - which can be disabled/enabled in settings, so everyone could choose his/her way of turning pages..)

Last edited by jozicka; 09-30-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
jozicka
Connoisseur

I read somewhere that there are the micro-controls similar as on mouse, so may be the same mod can be used as for mouse.

(well perhaps I will wait with mod for some time, it is different to do it on a mouse for 5$ then on 140$ reader..)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
I did not seen the hardware list of K3 but K1 & K2 have USB OTG controller. That means that it can be USB host either. you need just special plug and perhaps kernel dirvers. I am thinking of implementing it too (rather porting/compiling existing driver stack to arm6).

I saw that one guy actually did that for HTC smartphone and described it well, so it is easy to port too kindle.
video:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/n...-oscilloscope/
sources:
http://sven.killig.de/android/N1/2.2/usb_host/

You will need to buy Mini-AB to female-A to connect any device or even usb hub. (or do it yourself like this guy http://www.tombom.co.uk/blog/?p=124).
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote