Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
quidproquo
quidproquo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e-Reader 505
Hello from Nashville, TN

Hi - newbie to e-books here. I got a Sony 505 for Xmas and really have been reading more books because of it.

I want to learn how to use this Calibre software and get books from other locations onto my e-reader. I basically want to know before I spend the money - can I download e-books from Amazon and read them on my Sony e-reader using the Calibre software or do I have to own a Kindle to use Amazon's ebooks?

Thanks for any help anyone can give - or point me to a thread. Looking forward to using the site. It looks like a welcoming place with lots of great content.

quidproquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Howdy, Nashville!

Welcome to Mobilereads! I have a Sony 505, too, and really love reading on it. I use Calibre to convert my books to the Sony (although Calibre will not remove DRM for you).

Amazon currently only allows people who own a Kindle or iPhone/iTouch to buy ebooks from them. (And converting them, even if you own a Kindle or iPhone/iTouch, is a whole 'nuther can of worms. Just look through the posts from the last 24 hours or search on "Amazon" and "DRM" - you'll see lots of discussion on that topic!)

One thing you can look for, if you don't want to buy books directly from Sony, Books On Board is selling Adobe ePub (for some books only), and those can be read on the Sony 505/700s.

Again, welcome!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi quidproquo and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and check out all the free books here and also public libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by quidproquo View Post
Hi - newbie to e-books here. I got a Sony 505 for Xmas and really have been reading more books because of it.

I want to learn how to use this Calibre software and get books from other locations onto my e-reader. I basically want to know before I spend the money - can I download e-books from Amazon and read them on my Sony e-reader using the Calibre software or do I have to own a Kindle to use Amazon's ebooks?

Thanks for any help anyone can give - or point me to a thread. Looking forward to using the site. It looks like a welcoming place with lots of great content.

Hello, quidproquo, and welcome to MobileRead.

You have to have a Kindle registered in order to download Kindle books, and then you would have to strip the drm in order to read them on the Sony..totally illegal.

No worries.......plenty of other sites......have you tried downloading books from the public library yet?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
quidproquo
quidproquo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e-Reader 505
I have not yet tried downloading from the public library. That is a great idea - didn't really know they did that. I would have thought they were more "purist" than to use a digital e-book.... although I have checked out audio books from there when going on a trip. Long time since I have done that though...
quidproquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Check out the MobileRead Wiki here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries for a list of libraries that lend out eBooks. I've borrowed several from the Fairfax (VA) library and there's no charge and you can keep them for 21 days.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote