Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #151
shiningcat
shiningcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There's no such thing. Everyone has different preferences, likes and dislikes. For example I've always read exclusively with the Helvetica font on all my Kindles (haven't tried custom fonts yet) and prefer it even to Bookerly. It's my absolute favorite among Kindle fonts (built-in fonts, that is). Most people don't like Helvetica at all, from what I've read on various forums.
I've downloaded Google's Open Sans, and it's pretty good.

Still haven't found a font that tops Segoe UI. Make sure to remove the "light" fonts.
shiningcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #152
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I finally had a chance this morning to play with fonts for my Voyage. I decided to try out chareink since there were so many positive comments about it. Very nice! Thanks, Jon!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #153
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I finally had a chance this morning to play with fonts for my Voyage. I decided to try out chareink since there were so many positive comments about it. Very nice! Thanks, Jon!
You're welcome.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #154
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningcat View Post
I've downloaded Google's Open Sans, and it's pretty good.
Good choice! Very nice font.

In complement, for a monospaced font, I like Ubuntu Mono;
and for a typewriter font, Zilla Slab.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:01 AM   #155
shiningcat

Damn, Kindle Paperwhite 2 started crashing whenever I open any books with custom fonts with the "Error occurred" message... I removed all the fonts, but it's still not fixed.

Had to reset the Kindle.

Last edited by shiningcat; 06-24-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #156
shiningcat

All the OS system default fonts are shockingly similar...

I think I prefer San Francisco the most, but unfortunately it doesn't work on Kindle...
Old 06-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #157
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
I agree!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:44 PM   #158
lynnux
lynnux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningcat View Post
Damn, Kindle Paperwhite 2 started crashing whenever I open any books with custom fonts with the "Error occurred" message... I removed all the fonts, but it's still not fixed.

Had to reset the Kindle.
I had a similar problem, getting freezes, errors, etc, only with one custom font, Fira Sans. It happened to be the only one that was .otf, all the .ttf fonts worked. I downloaded a .ttf version of that font, and now it's okay.
lynnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:24 AM   #159
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnux View Post
I had a similar problem, getting freezes, errors, etc, only with one custom font, Fira Sans. It happened to be the only one that was .otf, all the .ttf fonts worked. I downloaded a .ttf version of that font, and now it's okay.
It is unrelated to .otf vs .ttf fonts. It can happen with either. Happened to me with only .ttf fonts installed. Removed all incomplete fonts and those that don't look good. I doubt it has something to do with ugly looking fonts, but when not all styles (or possibly too many) style are available.

I have limited to a few fonts that have regular, regular-italic, regular-bold, and regular-bold-italic. Those 4 styles and only those 4 per font family are on my Oasis2 now - no more errors.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:08 AM   #160
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

A quick note about the font Gentium.

I checked the font homepage yesterday, and I noticed an update that might interest some people here: there is a new version of Gentium Plus Mali (24 jun 2018).

Gentium Plus Mali is a variant of Gentium Plus with a tighter linespacing. It has many many characters but no bold (note that your Kindle is able to emulate a form of boldness even if the font has no bold variant).

Gentium Plus Mali is available here:
http://software.sil.org/lcgfonts/download/

If you prefer a native bold and bold-italic variant, you need Gentium Basic 1.102 (10 Dec 2013) available here:
https://software.sil.org/gentium/download/

This set has less characters than Gentium Plus Mali, but enough for english readers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gentium.png
Views:	591
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	164648  

Last edited by Pyjam; 06-25-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:11 AM   #161
shiningcat

Ok the crashing started happening again... I think I solved it by adding all the missing fonts. It might crash when some of the fonts are missing.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:13 AM   #162
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I tried out custom fonts on my Oasis 2 yesterday. One of my favorites is an older version of ChareInk, CharisSil Modified Larger. Thank you, Jon.

Also Bitter, Constantia for Kindle, DejaVu Serif E-ink and Lexia DaMa are very nice. As for sans-serif fonts, my favorites are the built-in Helvetica and Lato Medium.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #163
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
One of my favorites is an older version of ChareInk, CharisSil Modified Larger
I also prefer CharisSil Modified Larger rather than ChareInk, text height is similar to default Kindle fonts.

Thanks again, Jon
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #164
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Have installed 5.9.6.1 and have put Literata font (both otf and ttf) into Fonts folder on kindle but i cannot see it in the menu of my kindle at all in a book.

I have a 2017 Oasis.

What am i doing wrong?
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #165
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Have installed 5.9.6.1 and have put Literata font (both otf and ttf) into Fonts folder on kindle but i cannot see it in the menu of my kindle at all in a book.

I have a 2017 Oasis.

What am i doing wrong?
What book is it? Direct download from Amazon? Sideloaded? Custom fonts don't work with books in .mobi format, only azw3 and kfx.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote