Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
bolsson
bolsson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Borrowing ebooks from public libraries without computer

To begin with, I’ve just bought a Kobo Aura ONE and live in a country where OverDrive is not common.

Prior to my buy I had heard that it would be possible to borrow/download ebooks right from the Kobo ereader, without the need of a computer with Adobe digital editions every time. That was in fact one of my most important criterias, that it would be possible to do that. Now, with the reader in my hand, I can’t figure out how to do it. My question is therefore, how is it done, if it is at all possible? If not, is there a possible workaround?

It would be so great if I could borrow/ download ebooks without the need of having a computer with me.
bolsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Borrowing books is done through OverDrive...
http://help.overdrive.com/customer/e...-kobo-aura-one

Currently support isn't available at all OverDrive libraries or all countries AFAIK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolsson View Post
To begin with, I’ve just bought a Kobo Aura ONE and live in a country where OverDrive is not common.

Prior to my buy I had heard that it would be possible to borrow/download ebooks right from the Kobo ereader, without the need of a computer with Adobe digital editions every time. That was in fact one of my most important criterias, that it would be possible to do that. Now, with the reader in my hand, I can’t figure out how to do it. My question is therefore, how is it done, if it is at all possible? If not, is there a possible workaround?
The Kobo main page for the Aura One declares this pretty clearly up front:

"Get connected to your local public library right from your Kobo Aura ONE with built-in OverDrive.* Set-up is easy and free, all you need is your library card. [...]
*Dependent on library participation, available throughout most public libraries in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. eBook availability will vary based on library."

I've not heard of a workaround yet on this forum - you could try joining one of the US libraries that allows foreign members, so long as you're looking for books in English, but I think they all cost money now.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've not heard of a workaround yet on this forum - you could try joining one of the US libraries that allows foreign members, so long as you're looking for books in English, but I think they all cost money now.
It does work. There have been a couple of reports of people doing it. From memory, one was from Spain, the other from Japan.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
it is a tortuous process though - probably easier to go use a pc in a public library to browse & checkout
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:24 AM   #6
bolsson
bolsson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
it is a tortuous process though - probably easier to go use a pc in a public library to browse & checkout
I realize that downloading via computer probably is the best way of doing it. But I would like to have the possibility to download directly to the reader, when I'm traveling, for example, when I haven't got the computer with me.

Do you know a way, albeit tortuous?

Thanks in advance!
bolsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:34 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i have seen some ~17 step instructions posted in other threads. whether they work for your exact model & your country...
you will want the URL for your preferred library ebooks section so that you can start there with the primitive on-board browser.
and membership of said library which for me is a matching membership code and PIN to access ebooks. YOu library should issue those on request
And you may need to use a PC once, to get an ADOBE-ID if you do not already have one, & to get that copied to the reader.
FYI I used to use ( from UK ) the USA Free Library of Philadelphia, 50 US dollars for a year and a pain to get up but a great selection once you are in. Unless the system is now changed you have to email a librarian to get going, as the online forms are designed for rest of USA not rest of world.
All libraries seem to be standardising on the same Overdrive browse and checkout system, so if you can get one to work, you shoudl be ok for others. Though ( here) the only one I can access for free is the one for my county - it is a residency based thing. To use one from a different county I'd have to persuade someone living there to share credentials

Last edited by stumped; 12-08-2016 at 04:36 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, kobo, kobo aura one, public library