Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Scheduled Jobs not working

I took a mini-break from Calibre for a couple of months. I have 5 scheduled jobs and 3 of them are daily. I used to turn on my laptop and have Calibre running every morning and the jobs would auto-start. I returned to this practice yesterday (and also updated Calibre) and even though I have Calibre running, the scheduled jobs do not run. Same this morning.

I manually ran the recipes and ultimately only 2 of worked. The NYT and Smithsonian were sent to my Paperwhite. The LA Times downloaded successfully but emailing to the PW failed.

It seems a myriad of things broke while I was on my mini-break. I did update Calibre though so I have the latest version.
tdonline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There havent been any changes to the scheduler code in calibre in years. However it is conceivable that the update to python 3 broke something. Run calibre in debug mode and post the log after the scheduled jobs fali to auto-start.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Opened Calibre, intending to follow your debug suggestion but auto schedule kicked in. Not sure what happened because I didn't do anything...but happy to see it working.

The LA Times failing to email persists though. Again the recipe works but emailing is a no go. Emailing of NYT and Washington Post is working so it's not an overall emailing issue but rather something very specific to LA Times recipe? Is it something to do with the size of the attachment?
Spoiler:

Starting job: Email Los Angeles Times to 90@kindle.com
Waiting 301 seconds before sending, to avoid being marked as spam.
You can control this delay via Preferences->Tweaks
connect: ('mail.gmx.com', 587)
connect: to ('mail.gmx.com', 587) None
reply: b'220 gmx.com (mrgmx105) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'gmx.com (mrgmx105) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready'
connect: b'gmx.com (mrgmx105) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready'
send: 'ehlo DESKTOP-SGSKO3C.T-mobile.com\r\n'
reply: b'250-gmx.com Hello DESKTOP-SGSKO3C.T-mobile.com [73.134.225.200]\r\n'
reply: b'250-8BITMIME\r\n'
reply: b'250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: b'250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: b'250 STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.com Hello DESKTOP-SGSKO3C.T-mobile.com [73.134.225.200]\n8BITMIME\nAUTH LOGIN PLAIN\nSIZE 69920427\nSTARTTLS'
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: b'220 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'OK'
reply: b'250 SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.com Hello DESKTOP-SGSKO3C.T-mobile.com [73.134.225.200]\n8BITMIME\nAUTH LOGIN PLAIN\nSIZE 69920427'
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: b'235 Authentication succeeded\r\n'
reply: retcode (235); Msg: b'Authentication succeeded'
send: 'mail FROM:<@gmx.com> size=74096499\r\n'
reply: b'552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation\r\n'
reply: retcode (552); Msg: b'Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation'
send: 'rset\r\n'
reply: b'250 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'OK'
send: 'quit\r\n'
reply: b'221 gmx.com Service closing transmission channel\r\n'
reply: retcode (221); Msg: b'gmx.com Service closing transmission channel'

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 45, in run
File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 129, in sendmail
File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 183, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 871, in sendmail
smtplib.SMTPSenderRefused: (552, b'Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation', '@gmx.com')

Retrying in 301 seconds...
Waiting 301 seconds before sending, to avoid being marked as spam.
You can control this delay via Preferences->Tweaks
connect: ('mail.gmx.com', 587)
connect: to ('mail.gmx.com', 587) None
reply: b'220 gmx.com (mrgmx104) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'gmx.com (mrgmx104) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready'
connect: b'gmx.com (mrgmx104) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready'
reply: b'250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: b'250 STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.com Hello DESKTOP-SGSKO3C.T-mobile.com [73.134.225.200]\n8BITMIME\nAUTH LOGIN PLAIN\nSIZE 69920427\nSTARTTLS'
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: b'220 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'OK'
reply: b'250 SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.com Hello DESKTOP-SGSKO3C.T-mobile.com [73.134.225.200]\n8BITMIME\nAUTH LOGIN PLAIN\nSIZE 69920427'
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: b'235 Authentication succeeded\r\n'
reply: retcode (235); Msg: b'Authentication succeeded'
send: 'mail FROM:<@gmx.com> size=74096499\r\n'
reply: b'552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation\r\n'
reply: retcode (552); Msg: b'Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation'
send: 'rset\r\n'
reply: b'250 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'OK'
send: 'quit\r\n'
reply: b'221 gmx.com Service closing transmission channel\r\n'
reply: retcode (221); Msg: b'gmx.com Service closing transmission channel'

Sending failed...
smtplib.SMTPSenderRefused: (552, b'Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation', '@gmx.com')
Job: "Email Los Angeles Times to 90@kindle.com" failed with error:
File "calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 102, in __call__
Called with args: ('C:\\Users\\t\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_945e l1pw\\cw79m4gqcaltmpfmt.mobi', 'Los Angeles Times.mobi', '90@kindle.com', 'News: Los Angeles Times', 'Attached is the Los Angeles Times periodical downloaded by calibre.') {'notifications': <queue.Queue object at 0x112F2F88>, 'abort': <threading.Event object at 0x112F2358>, 'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x112F2CD0>}

Last edited by theducks; 10-17-2020 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spoilered logs
Old 10-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, its too large, see the line

Old 10-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
tdonline
Addict

Can the LA Times recipe be made smaller?
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You are welcome to customize it for your own needs.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
tdonline
Addict

Sorry, not got the technical skills. I opened up the LA Times job to see if I could do anything there. I decreased the days delete for news from 31 days to 2 but that didn't make any difference. Where would I begin to make the recipe smaller? Looking at the NYT, it's about 4mb and the WP is 12mb, whereas the LAT is 52mb.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just add

Code:
    compress_news_images = True
    compress_news_images_auto_size = 5
to the recipe. Though given that amazon destroys periodical formatting when sending by email anyway, if I were you, I'd transfer by USB.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
gourav
gourav doesn't littergourav doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Gen
In the following line of code, if I want to decrease the image quality, do I increase the number or decrease it?
Code:
gourav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just add

Code:
    compress_news_images = True
to the recipe. Though given that amazon destroys periodical formatting when sending by email anyway, if I were you, I'd transfer by USB.
Thanks. Sounds like the best way to go.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourav View Post
In the following line of code, if I want to decrease the image quality, do I increase the number or decrease it?
Code:
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...s/news.py#L374