Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #451
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
I have a PW3 with the latest software, 5.8.7. The PW3 was jail broken already. The update menu item was grayed after I copy the file and tried to update. The same thing happened for python installation. Anything wrong? Thanks
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #452
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by budalb View Post
I have a PW3 with the latest software, 5.8.7. The PW3 was jail broken already. The update menu item was grayed after I copy the file and tried to update. The same thing happened for python installation. Anything wrong? Thanks
The key phrase: "copy the file and tried to update"
Are you copying the file to the /mrpackages folder and then triggering MrPI (the Mobileread Package Installer)?

The Amazon menu update function only installs Amazon packages from the root of visible USB storage. (on firmware >5.2, which is your device).
You MUST use MrPI to install our update packages.

You can find details in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
See: Step #8 and the contents of its spoiler.

Last edited by knc1; 12-17-2016 at 09:18 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #453
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

OK. I thought it is the same way as those old kindles. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The key phrase: "copy the file and tried to update"
Are you copying the file to the /mrpackages folder and then triggering MrPI (the Mobileread Package Installer)?

The Amazon menu update function only installs Amazon packages from the root of visible USB storage. (on firmware >5.2, which is your device).
You MUST use MrPI to install our update packages.

You can find details in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
See: Step #8 and the contents of its spoiler.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #454
budalb
Enthusiast

I successfully installed the font hack and have one question. How do I get the customized fonts in the reading mode? When I type "Aa", the available fonts are all the system default fonts. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #455
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I successfully installed the font hack and have one question. How do I get the customized fonts in the reading mode? When I type "Aa", the available fonts are all the system default fonts. Thanks.
Device and firmware version please.
This thread is not for the DXG shown in your info box.
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #456
budalb
Enthusiast

PW3 with 5.8.7 software. The device was jailbroken at a lower version. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #457
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
PW3 with 5.8.7 software. The device was jailbroken at a lower version. Thanks.
In that case, the answer is:
This font add-in does not change the names in the Aa menu, only the fonts that the existing menu names select.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #458
vespoid
First Mate
vespoid began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3, Keyboard (retired)
Should this work on 5.8.5.0.2? The font list is not populating in KUAL, not even the Amazon fonts. I'm hesitant to try a downgrade since I'm not entirely sure what will happen if I do it to an already jailbroken device.
vespoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #459
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespoid View Post
Should this work on 5.8.5.0.2? The font list is not populating in KUAL, not even the Amazon fonts. I'm hesitant to try a downgrade since I'm not entirely sure what will happen if I do it to an already jailbroken device.
Yes it should.

Your doing something wrong, details please.

The JB is protected from the installation of another image file, regardless of the direction of version number change, up or down.

The actual device jail break consists of a single file, our signature certificate.
It gets over written regardless of what image file is loaded, that is what image files do, over-write everything.
Then at the next boot, the 'bridge code' will auto reinstall the certificate.

Why are you still running 5.8.5.anything ?

What device model (by our nickname please)?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #460
vespoid
First Mate

It's a PW3, serial beginning G090G1, the black WiFi-only one. I had assumed it was running the latest firmware since it did an unprompted update 2 nights ago and I had to re-run the KUAL installer to get that working again.

I couldn't get Collections Manager to work but thought it might just be that the firmware was too new. To the best of my memory, I tried to install Python and something else at the same time through MRPI. Python didn't show up anywhere when i tried to figure out what went wrong, so i installed it after trying to run things.

I updated manually just now, and it's acting the same on 5.8.7.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #461
knc1
Going Viral

Python is not supposed to "show up anywhere" if by that you mean on the Kindle menu or on the KUAL menu.
It should "show up" when you are viewing the USB storage area.

You updated what manually?
The Amazon firmware or something else?
If you mean the Amazon firmware - see my posted reply to your prior question.
If you mean 'something else' - what and where did you get it? (link please).

This is a technical forum, we really do need all of those pesky little technical details before we can help you.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #462
vespoid
First Mate

By Python showing up or not showing up, I did mean in the USB storage partition.

The first update firmware I installed was linked in the post detailing the jailbreak process, the second update I installed was downloaded directly from Amazon.

As for the process I am trying to perform, it is from post 63 of this thread:
* Put fonts in linkfonts/fonts
* KUAL > Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache
* KUAL > Font Overrides > Populate this menu
* KUAL > Font Overrides > condensed > Custom > *click on wanted font*
Old 01-20-2017, 02:30 AM   #463
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespoid View Post
By Python showing up or not showing up, I did mean in the USB storage partition.

The first update firmware I installed was linked in the post detailing the jailbreak process, the second update I installed was downloaded directly from Amazon.

As for the process I am trying to perform, it is from post 63 of this thread:
* Put fonts in linkfonts/fonts
* KUAL > Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache
* KUAL > Font Overrides > Populate this menu
* KUAL > Font Overrides > condensed > Custom > *click on wanted font*
First post of the jailbreak thread,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Section: Release Policy
Read contents of spoiler.

Then get the packages you need from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Old 01-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #464
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
My KOA is on fw 5.8.7. I understand that the add-in doesn't the font names in the Aa menu, and only changes which fonts the existing names select. I follow the process from post 63 of this thread also. However, no fonts in any of the font sections of font overrides, no new fonts in my books, nothing.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #465
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Did you first install python bin?

Quote:
If you intend to use the Font Overrides KUAL menu:
You will need the Python package. Make sure it's installed *before* the Fonts hack.
IIRC python scripts are used for rebuilding Font hack's KUAL submenu.

Every hack here on MobileRead that has it's own thread has detailed instructions in the first post. You need to read that (all of it, text under all spoilers) , you're obviously not doing that if for each different hack you tried so far (this one and USBNetworking) you need to ask 3-4 questions that all have answers in the first post.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch