Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #436
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I just tested overriding monospace and it worked. See if attached test file works for you, to rule out some problem with your books.

Last two paragraphs should be mono. I included one with a PRE tag and one with css class font-family: monospace.
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 test - Unknown.azw3 (10.8 KB, 259 views)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #437
hengyu
Enthusiast
hengyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2016
I'm on a jailbroken 5.6.1.1 PW1, and I'd like to try out fonts like Bookerly and Ember. While I'm usually decently tech literate-ish, I have to admit that I really didn't understand the bit about overriding fonts and its risks. Really new to this stuff.

Could someone please break it down the way a noob can understand?

Last edited by hengyu; 08-06-2016 at 10:11 AM.
hengyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #438
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What is " ELI5 style " ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #439
hengyu
Enthusiast
hengyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What is " ELI5 style " ?
Explain like I'm 5!
hengyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #440
zackadelic
zackadelic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Hi,
i have a PW1 with firmware 5.6.1.1

For jailbreaking i downgraded to 5.3.3 And jailbroken with no issues, installed kual and package manager and the installed the font hack

It seemed to work. Then, i reverted to 5.6.1.1 because i use send to kindle and i like the popup footnotes, and i installed the jb-fix and updated to latest font hack snapshot

The font hack seemed to work, it refreshes fontconfig and backups original fonts. But it doesn't show fonts in the font menu. Doesn't show CJK fonts either.

So i tried a clean install from the kindle menu, reverted again to 5.3.3, jailbroken, installed kual and package manager, upgraded to 5.6.1.1 and then installed jb-fix and font hack (latest snapshot).

Same issue. Any advices?

(btw i tried other kual extensions, such as Simple Calculator and they work properly, only font hack doesn't seem to work).
zackadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #441
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@zackadelic: After fw 5.3.9 Amazon removed that hidden "USE_ALT_FONTS" flag that made it possible to actually show custom fonts in Aa menu/window. So it's no longer possible on any newer firmware starting with 5.4.0. And PW1 got popup functionality with uodate fw 5.4.x, so now you have to choose one or the other, can't have them both.

On newer firmware you can only use font override functionality of fonts hack to map you custom font to existing font in Aa menu, so when you choose "Caecilia condensed" (or whichever built-in font you want to override/replace) Kindle uses your custom font instead.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #442
MaxStirner
Connoisseur
MaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
How to override Open Dyslectic since I don't need it?
It would be a perfect candidate for overriding but It doesn't seem to be possible.
Which family is this?

Last edited by MaxStirner; 11-13-2016 at 02:28 PM.
MaxStirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #443
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxStirner View Post
How to override Open Dyslectic since I don't need it?
It would be a perfect candidate for overriding but It doesn't seem to be possible.
Which family is this?
Try OpenDyslexic, no space.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:39 AM   #444
MaxStirner
Connoisseur
MaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
What do you mean? Ok I've made a mistake in the font's name but that does not change anything. The "howto" says that one can override a default font per family, not every font in the Aa menu. So my question is - would it be possible to "force" OpenDyslexic as default for some particular family to which it belongs already - so that then the font could be substituted for any other font of your choice. At the moment, whatever you do OpenDyslexic stays on.
But since there is no answer I presume thats not possible
MaxStirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #445
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxStirner View Post
- - - - -
But since there is no answer I presume thats not possible
You can't prove anything by a negative.
A better presumption would be that people who know the answer have not (yet) seen your question or had time to reply.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #446
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
In /linkfonts/etc/conf.d/ I created a file named 99-tweaks.conf. In that file, I put:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
	<match target="pattern">
		<test name="family" compare="eq">
			<string>OpenDyslexic</string>
		</test>
		<edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="strong">
			<string>your font family</string>
		</edit>
	</match>
</fontconfig>
*You need a text editor that can save files with unix line endings.

Then:
KUAL > Fonts > Fonts Hacks Behaviour > Update fontconfig cache

It worked, mostly. For some reason, it changed the default sans font. The UI ended up using my serif font with which I overrode opendyslexic. Same thing after a restart. You might get a different result. *shrug*

Edit: I've used this method to override other fonts in the past on my old PW1 without ill effect. Not sure why I'm having a problem with this font.

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-18-2016 at 01:37 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #447
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Hi, I have a Jailbroken KV. I was on the first JB method. Decided to update to Amazon's latest software. First I did the dummy test, and had to install an updated hotfix. Then I sideloaded the update to 5.8.7 for the Voyage. After that, I had to update KUAL. When running the Fonts, I could never get it to populate the Custom fields. I did play around with changing some fonts. It occurred to me to update the python and/or linkfont bins. Studying the readme, I followed the steps, however, I am sorry to say, the readme does not expressly say to put the bin files in the MrPi folder, it says put in the root. So, it didn't work, until I noticed someone in a thread mention putting them in the MrPi folder. So I respectfully request the ReadMe files to be updated with a clarification - (*IMPORTANT*: Remember that *on FW >= 5.5.x*, using MRPI is _REQUIRED_ to install custom packages!) *Bin files must be placed in mrpackages folder on device*

After doing that, the packages updated, and the custom fonts populated, and I now have my favorite font again.

HOWEVER---during my fiddling, I had changed the system font (in the library list) to OpenDyslexic...which was so weird. I was able to correct that, however, now the first line in the library list is in italics. I don't think it is supposed to be. For example KUAL is KUAL but the line under it is the way it should be. Can anyone tell me what I should do to change the italics to what it is supposed to be in the library list view? Or is that line supposed to be italicized?

Thanks so much, I so appreciate the hard work you geniuses do!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #448
knc1
Going Viral

Sorry, the maintainer of that package is away at school.

I know, it is a sorry state of affairs when a person puts a higher priority on an education than on keeping up with hobby interests . . . .
But until he has a break from school, nothing about current packages will be changed.

= = = =

Current jailbreak, Step #6, on page linked to, directly above the attachment:
Quote:
If you're coming straight from the 5.6.5 JB or the Factory Downgrade threads and you completely skipped the first post of *this* thread, be aware that on FW >= 5.5.x (i.e., you), using MRPI is REQUIRED to install every other custom packages!
For legacy touchscreen devices, in red letter section "Important notice ...", last sentence, quote:
Quote:
IMPORTANT: I have to insist on the fact that on FW >= 5.5.x, using MRPI is REQUIRED to install custom packages!
Same jail break, next red letter section, "Factory Downgrade or 5.6.5 jb users":
Quote:
After that, you will NEED to use MRPI to install any and all other custom update packages.
And just above that quote, a link to the same post quoted in part above.

In the 5.6.5 jailbreak instructions, near the bottom:
Quote:
(Once the hotfix is also installed, you can turn off Aeroplane mode, and allow your Kindle to update to the latest firmware without worrying that the jailbreak will be erased. You'll need to reinstall any of the 'cool additions', but the jailbreak and hotfix will remain installed and won't need reinstalling.)
So we have made an effort to alert users of the newer firmwares for the past several years.
Plus many other places in this forum.
But not, yet, in the readme file(s).
Old 12-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #449
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Thanks, I was aware, and did see the references you pointed out. My suggestion was to add a line stating that the bin packages need to be dropped in the mrpi folder, which may seem obvious to most, but I saw the instructions to use the mrpi installer but all other institutions pointed to putting the bin in the root

Maybe no one else would be confused.

I fixed my italics in the library list, by changing fallback to default.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #450
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Thanks, I was aware, and did see the references you pointed out. My suggestion was to add a line stating that the bin packages need to be dropped in the mrpi folder, which may seem obvious to most, but I saw the instructions to use the mrpi installer but all other institutions pointed to putting the bin in the root

Maybe no one else would be confused.

I fixed my italics in the library list, by changing fallback to default.
As with all information on the web - things here age.

Hint: Always check the date of the post.
I.E: If the post was made before your device, it probably doesn't apply to your device.

And as I wrote - we are not re-packaging anything here until the maintainer of KindleTool has a chance to update it.
So the readme file inside the package will remain as-is until at least that time.

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch