Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #421
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@rpgmaker: How are you getting to the Mono font in the first place? It's barely used anywhere (txt file and pre blocks, IIRC).
I just used the Font Override to override the mono font I guess, and increased the size the same way I did for Helvetica but applying it to the KindleBlakcboxC font. I know it worked because before doing this the mono parts looked very small in relation to the Helvetica ones. The only "issue" was what I described. It didn't used to happen on 5.4.x although I was using another method to increase the font size.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #422
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Right, then I guess they did update KindleBlackBox, despite it being used barely anywhere .

Unless you have a strong liking to it, you'll probably have an easier time simply using a decent custom Monospaced font, no?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2016, 11:42 PM   #423
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Right, then I guess they did update KindleBlackBox, despite it being used barely anywhere .

Unless you have a strong liking to it, you'll probably have an easier time simply using a decent custom Monospaced font, no?
I don't know, I hardly ever think about customizing any monospaced font but which one would you recommend?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #424
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have a Win7+ system on hand, I kinda really like Consolas .

Barring that, its clone Inconsolata.

Code writing stuff like Input, or scriptwriting stuff like Courier does well, too.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #425
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Does that include Win8 ?
It is possible to get some very cheap devices with Win8 installed on them.

I.E: Keep the font files and throw away everything else as part of the 'license fee' cost to stay within the 'single use on a single device' bundled (or implied) license terms.

Last edited by knc1; 08-01-2016 at 08:41 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #426
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Thanks, NiLuJe. Do you have any recommendation of the darkest font that I can install after the font hack?
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #427
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
I kinda really like Consolas .

Barring that, its clone Inconsolata.

Code writing stuff like Input, or scriptwriting stuff like Courier does well, too.
I tried them all but I don't see any difference, not even with courier... maybe I haven't applied it right but I don't think so. I put them in the linkfonts/fonts folder, refreshed menu etc. etc., in fonts override under mono I selected consolas for example, then restarted framework and the font didn't seem changed in the book. I did the same for all the fonts you suggested. If it was changed there had to be a significant size reduction because I'm changing the size of kindleblackboxc (specifically) mono font via tweaks.conf but I think that shouldn't apply to other mono fonts. I added a few mono bold fonts in order to be able to see the difference more clearly but they haven't shown up on the fonts override menu for some reason even though I added them at the same time I did the others.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #428
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rpgmaker: Mono might need some handholding to override, I honestly can't recall (not something I tested thoroughly, given its basically non-existent usage).
If I did test it, it was probably with a txt file, not a book.

On the other hand, I put the menu in there, so it *must* have worked at one point ;D.

Does the "show current" button track your current override for the mono family?

Are you *sure* it's the mono family that's used? Because, as I mentioned, it's somewhat hard to actually get a book to use mono...

@knc1: AFAIK, yes, at least on x86 builds.

@feelmaroon: Not really, that hasn't been an issue for me since the PW2. I even started switching to full serifs . I know some people used to tweak fonts in the good old days, so, try looking into that.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-01-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #429
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Does the "show current" button track your current override for the mono family?
Yes it does show the override.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #430
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rpgmaker: Then see my latest edit. What are you checking, exactly, and where, and how? Because getting a book to print something in mono in the first place is kind of uncommon.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #431
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
@rpgmaker: Then see my latest edit. What are you checking, exactly, and where, and how? Because getting a book to print something in mono in the first place is kind of uncommon.
Almost every technical book (in mobi or epub) uses monospace font for the code/instructions, for example. Quoted sections of some standard specification can be found in mono too. It's really not hard to find the monospace font used on technical books.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #432
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, probably pre blocks then... No idea how those are supposed to behave, I'll try to find some time to check...
Old 08-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #433
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Okay, probably pre blocks then... No idea how those are supposed to behave, I'll try to find some time to check...
In the books, the css style used for those sections simply lists "monospace" as the font.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #434
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Which is exactly what the hack should be overriding... :/.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #435
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Which is exactly what the hack should be overriding... :/.
That's what I'm expecting but it doesn't seem to be working.

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch