Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #406
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@rpgmaker:

It's maths, so, err, better ask someone else than me ;D. But the name is accurate, it's a matrix transformation.

As was said, double-check the actual family name of Helvetica (in the Fonts Override KUAL menu, for instance), and, yeah, you *definitely* need to put that in conf.d, conf.avail is *NOT* parsed at all, it's just a storage directory .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:34 AM   #407
beic
beic began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3G
Hi guys, I can't seem to override any fonts on my KOA

Just want to make sure I'm following the instructions properly
  • I drop my font file (BunchloArsa.ttf) into linkfonts/fonts folder
  • Run Fonts -> Fonts Hack Behaviour > Update fontconfig cache
  • Once the framework has restarted, I choose Fonts -> Overrides -> Condensed -> Custom -> Bunchló Ársa
  • Run the Fonts > Restart the framework
  • After restart, I open a book and select Caecilia Condensed, but the font doesn't change to my custom one, it's still Caecilia Condensed

Any ideas? Have I missed a step somewhere?
beic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #408
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@beic: Book might be formatted to enforce a font family (usually, serif). Try with another book.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #409
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@beic: Book might be formatted to enforce a font family (usually, serif). Try with another book.
And if you bought the book from Amazon, report a content error (which they will then proceed to completely ignore), since enforcing a font family throughout an entire book is in violation of their content "guidelines". (And this is a guideline they actually *do* enforce now and again, if enough people complain.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #410
beic

Quote:
It allows me to select all the other fonts though. I've tried a few other books and it's the same issue. I tried some books from the Kindle Store, one I converted in Calibre, some web articles using Send to Kindle, no dice.

Not sure if this is significant, but I went back into Fonts -> Overrides -> Condensed -> ** Show Current ** and it says down the bottom "F condensed => condensed", so does that mean it didn't save my custom font setting after the reboot?
Advert
Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #411
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@beic: Yuuup, given the family name of your font, I sense unicode wonkyness.

Try to edit that font to lower-asciize that family name to avoid weird diacritical marks, maybe that'll jog things up.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #412
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Are spaces in font names allowed?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #413
NiLuJe
BLAM!

In the family name, for FC, yep, that's okay.

I have no idea how it deals with high-ascii stuff in this context, though, hence my concerns...
Given what's involved (which is, well, printing letters on screen, after all ), I'm fairly sure FC itself deals perfectly sanely with it, I'm more concerned with how that translates on the Kindle, and in particular how I'm updating the config shards in the KUAL extension...
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #414
beic

Quote:
@beic: Yuuup, given the family name of your font, I sense unicode wonkyness.

Try to edit that font to lower-asciize that family name to avoid weird diacritical marks, maybe that'll jog things up.
Well, you were right! When I opened the font in FontLab, there were garbled characters in the family name. Got rid of those, exported the font, and now it's working.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #415
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
You're all doing some amazing work with font development. Phenomenal. I haven't done anything other than install the font hack and have been reading through this entire field pretty diligently. Is there a way to simply add weight to the current fonts or a font that I can install with more weight than the stock fonts?
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #416
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@feelmaroon: IIRC, no, not without editing the font.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #417
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
By the way, which was the mono font Amazon used on fw 5.4.x? I think it's different than the one they use on 5.7.x and 5.8.x (KindleBlackboxC I think). I'm interested in using the old one because the new one doesn't deal well with increasing the size of the font. It doesn't seem to increase the space between the lines accordingly and everything ends up looking kind of "crammed" together.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #418
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I don't recall if they changed the Mono font (not that it's used much, anyway). But they might have updated it significantly.

What's your issue, actually?
Old 07-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #419
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
What's your issue, actually?
The new mono font doesn't deal well with the increased size. It doesn't seem to increase the space between the lines accordingly and everything ends up looking like a letter soup. On technical books the mono font is used relatively often for some things. Is there a way to get the font out of the old fw? Or more generally, how can I extract the contents of those .bin files?
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #420
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rpgmaker: How are you getting to the Mono font in the first place? It's barely used anywhere (txt file and pre blocks, IIRC).

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch