Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #211
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Keep closing quotation marks with the last word in a quote - In other words, do not start a line with a closing quotation mark. (Applied to WiFi and maybe also original Kobo?)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #212
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
landscape mode
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #213
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post

1. Fix the page turn 'freeze until second tap' causing a double turn.

2. Collections, folders, tags, whatever.

3. Support for multi-level TOC's and/or fix hyperlink functionality.

4. Notes and highlighting in epubs.

5. The ability to zoom in on illustrations in epubs (and kepubs).

6. Word search in books.

7. Options for first line indent (right now I fix my sideloaded books with css).

8. An option to sleep with the text from the last page accessed still displayed. The space for the menu bar could be used to notify that the device is in 'sleep' mode. This way you can easily leave it on a page with a recipe while cooking or something.
WAIT!!!!! Point number 6!

Are you implying the Kobo Touch doesn't have a word search function in ebooks? This can't be true, can it?
The single most often used feature while recently reading "A Dance With Dragons" was searching. There is absolutely NO way I can remember a gazillion characters, and the glossary is nowhere near putting such information into context. Here's what I did(probably a hundred times or so):

1 - Tap on a character's name as it pops up later in the book(books)
2 - Tap on "find Previous", for example in the case of "Cersei" just to familiarize myself with whatever she was doing(or getting done to) last.
3 - Tap on "find first", for example in the case of "Hotah" to go back and see who the heck that guy was.
4 - Tap on "find next" a couple of times to get a better idea - from the context - of who "Hotah" was again.
5 - Tap on "go back" to get back to the place you started the search. There is absolutely no bookmarking involved.
6 - In case I tap a word that is contained in the selected dictionary, a fifth button. "look up" appears automatically.

A decent word search was THE great selling point for ereaders to some of my friends when I proudly demonstrated it four or five YEARS AGO on merged versions of "The Wheel of Time" or "The Sword of Truth".

The "look up" function, IMO, wasn't even such an important feature in the past, but nowadays authors seem to be getting ever more enthusiastic with the inline thesaurus of their word processors. It's kinda obnoxious. If you don't believe me, take a look at what New York Times readers are looking up!

http://topics.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...e-fancy-words/

My ancient EBW1150 still gives me about 7-8 hours of reading on a charge, but it's got a growing blue spot on the display! It's still just the size a squashed mosquito(used to have those sometimes with paper books), but its growing!

I thought I could stick it out until the European release of the Kobo in August, but now? An ereader without a search? Likely to cost €139 equaling $200!

PLEASE tell me it ain't so, PLEASE!!
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #214
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
No search function yet, other than library search. They really should have it, but I admit that I haven't missed it yet. After all, none of my paperbacks have that function either.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #215
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
No search function yet, other than library search. They really should have it, but I admit that I haven't missed it yet. After all, none of my paperbacks have that function either.
No search is just plain stupid on a digital device, whether paper has it or not is irrelevant!
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #216
kamados
kamados began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle 4
The battery icon could be placed beside the page number in a book so that the user can easily keep abreast of battery status without having to go to the HOME screen to check this. I have had my Touch shut down unexpectedly with the battery recharge message repeatedly because I do not have the icon showing in the book I am reading.
kamados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #217
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
You do not have to go to the Home screen to check the battery while reading. Simply tap the center of the screen and the battery icon will be displayed in the upper left corner.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #218
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
No search is just plain stupid on a digital device, whether paper has it or not is irrelevant!
Well, it is on my wishlist. . .

And just to be clear, I never said that there shouldn't be a search function because real books don't have it. What I did say was that my reading experience has not suffered for the lack of it. Probably because none of my real books have such a function.

That's also why it's so far down on my list. Don't like it? Write your own and stop sniping other forumites.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #219
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Yah, I just downloaded the Kobo Touch Users Guide and lo'n behold, NO SEARCHING! Neither do the older model Kobo Users Guides say anything about searching your book. And you gotta admit they have had some time to implement it. I should'a downloaded those Guides months ago, but just couldn't imagine an ereader that won't even allow a search within the body of the text you are just reading!

So I did the same for Kindle, Nook, Sony and it turns out they've all had searching, like forever. Add that to the fact that my ebookwise1150 boasts of software written years ago by ETI to be used on hardware which is, after all, about TEN YEARS! old.

Since Kobo ain't made it work on THREE GENRATIONS of ereaders, what makes you so sure they'll ever make it work?

Perhaps if someone were to prove to me that there was EVER an even marginally popular ereading device out there - of ANY generation - that did NOT implement a searching feature, I might reconsider and admit I was setting my sights to high on the Kobo.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #220
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit this is certainly a nice, confrontational way to join the community!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #221
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post
Perhaps if someone were to prove to me that there was EVER an even marginally popular ereading device out there - of ANY generation - that did NOT implement a searching feature, I might reconsider and admit I was setting my sights to high on the Kobo.
As you ask for it so nicely, I will mention the Bookeen ereaders (Gen3, Opus). Perhaps not so popular in USA but they are in Europe. And I can tell that there is no searching feature
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #222
themikeyt
themikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
I wouldn't mind having the ability to make the left side of the screen, when touched, advance the book. I seldom go backwards in a book, so, be nice to have that feature on both sides (advancement)
themikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #223
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post

The Sony 505 doesn't have search.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #224
bibahbuzemann
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
As you ask for it so nicely, I will mention the Bookeen ereaders (Gen3, Opus). Perhaps not so popular in USA but they are in Europe. And I can tell that there is no searching feature
Ok! I see there are other dedicated ereaders out there that don't support searching for keywords within the book. I just can't wrap my head around it!

As it has taken such a short time to meet my challenge, I hereby humbly retract my insinuation that searching is such an important feature to ebook readers, and I apologise.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #225
bibahbuzemann
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I will admit this is certainly a nice, confrontational way to join the community!
Sorry!
I'll try to behave in future. I was really looking forward to this thing coming on the European market this month.
My eyeballs practically popped when I saw the searching flaw, but actually,I had some worries about keeping a good English dictionary on the localised device, so I periodically scanned this forum from time to time.
Obviously I didn't do it thoroughly enough, because this searching problem must have come up somewhere before.