Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-18-2023, 01:51 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I am using whatever firmware it had when I bought it. I'm leery of updating firmware; I've heard too many stories about problems with that, especially since I never use any of the online features.
I haven't had any trouble with PocketBook updates, currently running my HD 3 on 6.7.xx (which is seven updates newer than the original firmware), but I understand being leery.

Quote:
I may have found a fix - whatever scrambled it also reset the time/date, and when I fixed that, it started registering new books. Still doesn't show the ones I added when it had problems, but I can work around that for the ones I'd started reading, and I can remove & re-add the others.
Sounds hopeful. Not that it should be resetting the clock, but if fixing that fixes your problem, that sounds better than factory resetting.

Good luck. I like my HD 3, but I see some of these issues and makes me a little nervous about its future.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 11:07 AM   #17
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I haven't had any trouble with PocketBook updates, currently running my HD 3 on 6.7.xx (which is seven updates newer than the original firmware), but I understand being leery.
It's not really even that I'm nervous about updates - it's more that I haven't seen any value to them. It's not clear what they do for someone who doesn't use any of the online features. I occasionally hear about problems with updates, but mostly it's, "why would I do this? My device is working. What does the update bring that I don't have now?"

(If the answer is "better emoji support," then maybe I should update. I'm tired of my books crashing because the author put 🤣🤣🤣 in the author's notes.)

I'm not sure how to update - I've never used any of the online features, no idea how to install firmware. But I could sort that out; I'm mostly worried about making things worse by installing software I don't need.

...I see the Kobo forum has a thread about a "mandatory update" that seems to be "we demand the ability to inflict ads on your device." Bleh.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 11:22 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
(If the answer is "better emoji support," then maybe I should update. I'm tired of my books crashing because the author put ������ in the author's notes.)
One of the HD 3 updates gave it ePub 3 support, so maybe emjoi's would work better with that? Not sure. (That came with 6.0.xx, but there were improvements to it in the later releases as there were some "teething issues" apparently.) You can now use one of two ePub "engines," ePub 2 or ePub 3 by long pressing on the book. (I should say "you can," with an update.)

Quote:
...I see the Kobo forum has a thread about a "mandatory update" that seems to be "we demand the ability to inflict ads on your device." Bleh.
Yeah, I noticed that. I like the little Kobo Mini, hope it still syncs after the change.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote