Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
klieber
klieber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
ISBN Search: use Amazon instead of Worldcat?

I tried searching to see if this question was already answered, but may not have the right terms. Right now, if I click on an ISBN number in a book's metadata, Calibre launches a web search via worldcat.org.

Is there a way to have Calibre launch an Amazon (or a Goodreads) search instead?

Thanks.
klieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Click on the Amazon or Goodreads link, if there is one in the field Identifiers (shown as "Ids" in Book Details). Or use the plugin Search the Internet. They may not use the ISBN per se, but they'll get you to the author or title page on relevant site.

Last edited by unboggling; 02-12-2014 at 07:28 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
klieber

Thanks -- that's helpful. However, what I'm really trying to understand is if I can modify calibre's behavior when I click on an ISBN number.

Is this possible?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by klieber View Post
Thanks -- that's helpful. However, what I'm really trying to understand is if I can modify calibre's behavior when I click on an ISBN number.

Is this possible?
Each metadata source also has a (fine tune) configuration

1st step is click the
Preferences:Metadata Download:
On the Right is the overall 'allow' any metadata data list.
On the left is the Allow (use) sources list

now look at the bottom. See the button with the green puzzle piece?
That one allows you to fine tune by each source.

I hate the ratings from source X, so I remove the ratings tick from there after I select Source X above.

I only want Series info from Source G, so I remove the series ticks from every other source (tedious )

That is how you configure Metadat downloads.

DTW, some Metadata sources come from User Installed (see Preferences: Get Plugins) source plugins. You may want to use one of those.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:

Is this possible?
AFAIK, no.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I tried searching to see if this question was already answered, but may not have the right terms. Right now, if I click on an ISBN number in a book's metadata, Calibre launches a web search via worldcat.org.

Is there a way to have Calibre launch an Amazon (or a Goodreads) search instead?
The only place I see in calibre an ISBN link is in the book details pane. Clicking this link does not launch a search of Worldcat but takes you to the book on the Worldcat site. If I click on the Goodreads, Amazon.com, Google Books, Fantastic Fiction or Barnes & Noble links I am taken to the same book at their respective web sites.

These links are only there because when I do search and download metadata I use various metadata plugins as sources.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bookdetails.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	119066   Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata sources.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	119067  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
klieber

The field isn't titled as 'ISBN', but it's an ISBN number. This shows up (for me) in the main screen of Calibre.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 10.12.43 PM.png
Views:	427
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	119334  
Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And that is what DoctorOhh is talking about.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@klieber - if you do a metadata download on that book (press ctrl/D) then you should get the a link for Amazon alongside the ISBN - if you click on it you will get the Amazon page for the book.

1st attachment shows book information (press i) as you have it
2nd attachment shows book information after a Ctrl/D and I accepted the data
3rd attachment shows book information in my browser after I clicked on the blue Amazon

A word to the wise - its usually better to state the outcome you want (look up Amazon for a book) rather than the means which you think it ought be done (click ISBN and go to Amazon).

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	capture1.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	119335   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture2.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	119336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	119337  

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-21-2014 at 05:23 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The field isn't titled as 'ISBN', but it's an ISBN number. This shows up (for me) in the main screen of Calibre.
Beside the fact that your attachment is a different book we are both showing the book details pane of the main screen. In my attachment the ISBD is also shown as a number which does link to Worldcat.

Since when I download metadata I use the Amazon and Goodreads metadata download plugins I get links to Amazon and links to Goodreads.

You can also load the links in the edit metadata manually. The below are metadata entries in the ids section of the edit metadata that could create links in book details to take you Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in various web sites (Worldcat, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Fantastic Fiction, Goodreads, Google Books)

isbn:9780007517879
amazon:0486284735
barnesnoble:w/pride-and-prejudice-jane-austen/1002057084
ff:a/jane-austen/pride-and-prejudice
goodreads:9531356
google:20wyXwAACAAJ

I didn't enter any of these manually they were all added when I downloaded metadata. They are shown in the books details pane exactly as shown in my attachment above as links to the various sites.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isbn, search, search engine