Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #46
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Might have to keep my wife's K2 at 2.3.3. Mine's already updated.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #47
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
So perhaps an old K1 could act as a de-drm device, since it's unaffected....?
Kindle4PC still works too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #48
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Yes! Just bought one yesterday and it de-drms just FINE!

Derek
Thank you! So I guess the trick is to download to desktop rather than via wireless and risk downloading the upgrade.

Edit: by desktop, I am refering to delivery method to Kindle, not the Kindle4PC app.

Last edited by Skydog; 06-08-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
There is no reason to think your purchases on Amazon would suddenly not be available anymore just because they don't support the amz format. Could you imagine the backlash?
I think that the fact that DRMed PDFs that people purchased from Amazon are no longer available from Amazon because they no longer sell PDFs is a pretty good reason to be a little concerned.

And bear in mind all the people with older DRMed PDFs who are now locked out of them, because they missed the time window Adobe provided for upgrading the DRM on them to Adobe's latest version of DRM.

Now, given that so many more people have bought .azw files, Amazon might be more cautious about dropping support. But they can't re-supply books in a new format if the publishers do not allow them to do so. Even the publishers might have lost the rights to that particular title, and would not legally be able to allow Amazon to do so.

And for that matter, look at music - Microsoft's "Play for Sure" DRM. for example. No-one thought they'd stop that and leave people with inaccessible music. But they did.

DRM in the longer term is almost guaranteed to cause loss of access.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #50
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks pdurrant. I do think this is a real issue - I have had books refuse to open. But they were books I bought from Amazon, and had not removed the DRM! Of course, I could redownload them. But what happens when they are removed from my account, as has happened, without warning, in the past.

Please forgive my stupidity in not understanding how the DRM was affected by the upgrade. I had my daughter turn off my wireless, and she confirmed I still had 2.3.3. I would like to use Amazon for the majority of my book purchases, but it is just too risky to have the availability of my books in their hands.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #51
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
Juest updated

Just updated here in Cheshire uk, 22.49 GMT.

Let's see what all the fuss is about

Mack 120
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #52
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I would like to use Amazon for the majority of my book purchases, but it is just too risky to have the availability of my books in their hands.
I'm with you.

If you're running Windows, the DRM can still be removed via the tool for Kindle for PC. (And luckily, I still have a K1 so I'm good to go via that route as well).

I don't overly worry -- there are no unbreakable DRM schemes. Until the publishers wake up and drop this stuff, tools will be available to allow us to actually own the books we purchase.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #53
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I'm with you.

If you're running Windows, the DRM can still be removed via the tool for Kindle for PC. (And luckily, I still have a K1 so I'm good to go via that route as well).

I don't overly worry -- there are no unbreakable DRM schemes. Until the publishers wake up and drop this stuff, tools will be available to allow us to actually own the books we purchase.
Thanks for the reassurance. But I think I will leave my wireless off, for now.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #54
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I don't understand how the update changes the DRM - so if I don't allow the update to download, and I buy all my books from now on by download to computer, my old deDRM scheme will continue to work?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #55
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I don't understand how the update changes the DRM - so if I don't allow the update to download, and I buy all my books from now on by download to computer, my old deDRM scheme will continue to work?

I believe that is right. The update would change the way the Kindle handles the DRM and the Amazon Machine would know that the update was downloaded and installed so when it encrypts the file (per your serial number as recorded) it can encrypt using the New Drm. If it doesn't know, it can't do it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #56
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
+1

DRM is a fact of e-book buying at the moment. No one is buying a locked title they can't open on a current device; it's a plus to be able to strip DRM and archive in multiple formats as backup. But, hey! It's backup, right?

There are a few books I read more than once ... but most I do not. So the reality is, the way I consume books, the entry fee is the cost of a single read ... and the privilege of storing it for the next several years, collecting electronic dust. If some of those books get caught in a DRM trap, well, it's not the end of the world for me -- because I'll never get around to re-reading them anyway.

Don't mistake the argument I am making: I dislike DRM and I FAR prefer to buy a book I can archive and read in a DRM-free format. But if there is a period of time in which Kindle books -- delivered to my Kindle for reading today -- may not be able to be transferred to my Kobo right away ... it's ok. Sure, I don't want to have to pay a second time for something -- but there are very few things I will re-read again anyway. And, if it's really worth it, I'll pay again if absolutely necessary.

So -- for the time being, I'll update my Kindle; continue to buy Kindle books; enjoy all the titles I have so far that have been archived without DRM; enjoy DRM ePubs that have been de-DRMed and read on my Kindle; and be confident, in due course, any "locked" Kindle titles in the short run can be unlocked in the longer term.

Bottom line: I'm not fussed.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #57
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I've noticed some issues removing the drm from books that I've downloaded directly from the website vis-a-vis those that I've transfered from my Kindle. Can anyone else confirm?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #58
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
+1

So -- for the time being, I'll update my Kindle; continue to buy Kindle books; enjoy all the titles I have so far that have been archived without DRM; enjoy DRM ePubs that have been de-DRMed and read on my Kindle; and be confident, in due course, any "locked" Kindle titles in the short run can be unlocked in the longer term.

Bottom line: I'm not fussed.
Obviously a more zen way to live. I, on the other hand, worry about everything. And I buy books on impulse, not to be read right away. Just because I buy the book doesn't mean I intend to read it immediately, just that I want to some day. There are certainly enough free books and books already in my library to keep me going for a very long time. And if I can avoid downloading the update, I can go even longer! Maybe I will download it - I really, really want collections. I will just have to avoid buying books from Amazon. Oh, the decisions!!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #59
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
I have the 2.5.2 .bin file a k2i (it's at 2.3.4)

I have the hacks on my Kindle and it's showing up in the root directory. I'm looking for a place to upload it now.

How much do you love me???
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #60
Steven_m64
Insane Programmer
Steven_m64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy4brats View Post
I have the 2.5.2 .bin file a k2i (it's at 2.3.4)

I have the hacks on my Kindle and it's showing up in the root directory. I'm looking for a place to upload it now.

How much do you love me???
How about uploading it to rapidshare?

You will be my hero if its a working update file
Steven_m64 is offline   Reply With Quote