Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2023, 10:33 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Kindle Scribe: any way to block firmware updates for potential jailbreak? pointless?

Purchased the Kindle Scribe deal today.

Question: is there any point to blocking software updates such that a future jailbreak might be possible?

Or, is this pointless given that it'd lock me out of notes/note taking updates that might happen between now and a future jailbreak?

A jailbreak seems unlikely given there haven't been any for a long time correct? So perhaps pointless to be waiting for something that may never occur?

Many thanks!
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:11 AM   #2
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
At the moment the simplest way to avoid automatic updates on the Scribe is to put it in flight mode; there might be ways to block access to the Amazon servers directly on your router, but I wouldn’t know which addresses or domains to blacklist.

The problem with the Scribe is that so much of its core functionality relies on the Amazon cloud that it makes it quite impractical to keep it offline. Unless you only plan on writing notes on blank sheets (i.e. not in books or on PDFs) and never exporting them outside of your Scribe, you will have to let your Scribe talk to the Amazon servers at some point.

Another option is to fill your Scribe to the brim with books or personal docs, so that there isn’t enough room left to hold the update file, in which case it won’t be automatically downloaded; but this requires managing the storage so there’s still always enough room left for your notes, etc.

Personally today I don’t see a major reason to jailbreak a Kindle as many of the traditional benefits of jailbreaking (e.g. custom fonts, book cover as screen saver) are now available in the official Amazon firmware. You still need to jailbreak if you want to use an alternative reader application like KOReader, but you won’t be able to use Scribe-specific features (such as taking notes within a book) as KOReader doesn’t support them.

So it’s really up to you to see if the benefits you expect from jailbreaking outweigh the drawbacks; for what it’s worth, for the Scribe in particular, I don’t think the trade off is worth it.

Last edited by BionicGecko; 07-11-2023 at 07:19 AM.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2023, 06:10 PM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
One of the old methods was to fill up the space with less than 250 MB (or maybe different size?), so that automatic update stops itself.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 01:12 AM   #4
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Just got my Scribe (yes, I bought on the Prime Day deal as well) - based on the functionality, I don’t see where jailbreaking would be beneficial.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:03 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare of Earth View Post
Just got my Scribe (yes, I bought on the Prime Day deal as well) - based on the functionality, I don’t see where jailbreaking would be beneficial.
As I understand it, the main reason most people want to jailbreak is to install KOReader and use that to read and organize things, including connecting to calibre server etc. They like the Kindle as hardware but want to bypass Kindle platform way of doing things.

The normal Kindle functionality (including Notebook) would still be available.

It's a much lighter lift to just get a different eReader that doesn't need to be jailbroken (Kobo or PocketBook for example).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2023, 04:49 PM   #6
dsjstc
dsjstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
the main reason most people want to jailbreak is to install KOReader

This is exactly why I do not yet own a Scribe. I want to sync sideloaded books and reading positions with my other devices, most of which are not Kindles. The only cross-platform way to do this (that I'm aware of) is KoReader.

So I don't buy devices that can't run it.
dsjstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:45 PM   #7
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Scribe.
I like my scribe. It's been in flight mode since day 1.the current updates haven't been beneficial enough to me to even care. I like having a nice huge ereader with 300dpi. I loved my oasis but it's too small. Only downside I've seen is not having the page turn buttons.i still use my scribe as a notebooks when I need one. I have no reason to care for the updates until it's jailbroken. There are already multiple flaws that people have found that can be used in a Jailbreak. Those people are waiting on amazon to fix them.
reminon is offline   Reply With Quote