Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #736
Clem2605
Clem2605 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Libra H2O, Boox Tab Ultra C
Hello,

I have a problem with my 'Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts' patch. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't find anywhere else.

Anyway, here it is:
I use kobopatch_4.26.16704 to go with my Libra H2O and I used the site 'kobopatch' to set up 'Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts' to the values I wanted, here's the URL: https://pgaskin.net/kobopatch-patche...65,193,220,248

I copy/pasted the results in my 'libnickel' file and then used the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to enable it, here it is:
Code:
Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts:
  - Enabled: no
  - PatchGroup: Sleep/Power-off timeouts
  - Description: |
      Increase the available sleep/power-off timeouts to larger values (up to a
      few weeks). To customize this patch, see https://pgaskin.net/kobopatch-patches/lgrpwroff-15505.html .

IMPORTANT - Although this patch has been tested by multiple users and
      confirmed to be working, the interaction between the RTC timer and Nickel
      has many moving parts. As reported by JSWolf on MR, this patch might have
      issues with actually powering-off with timeouts longer than a day. The
      cause is likely to be the auto-sync interval or sleepcover causing the
      timer to be overridden/reset every day. Nevertheless, this patch should
      work reliably for timeouts under 12 hours, and probably under 1 day.

If you are using this patch with timeouts above 12 hours, and can confirm
      if it works/doesn't work, please PM me or comment on GitHub with your
      setting values, sleepcover or not, auto-sync interval, wifi on/off, firmware
      version, and Kobo model.

See https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch-patches/issues/28#issuecomment-537161827
      for more details about this.
  # Multiplier in N3PowerWorkflowManager::configureWakeup
  - ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: {Symbol: "N3PowerWorkflowManager::configureWakeup(AlarmControl*, int, char const*)", Offset: 12, FindH: 04 FB 05 F5, ReplaceH: 4F EA 05 45} # mul r5(dest), r4(multiplier), r5(mins)  -> lsl r5, r5, #16
  # Multiplier in N3PowerWorkflowManager::pollBattery
  - ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: {Symbol: "N3PowerWorkflowManager::pollBattery()", Offset: 106, FindH: 08 FB 00 F8, ReplaceH: 4F EA 00 48} # mul r8(dest), r8(multiplier), r0(mins)  -> lsl r8, r0, #16
  - ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: {Symbol: "N3PowerWorkflowManager::pollBattery()", Offset: 156, FindH: 02 FB 00 F2, ReplaceH: 4F EA 00 42} # mul r2(dest), r2(multiplier), r0(mins)  -> lsl r2, r0, #16
  # Menu text
  - FindBaseAddressString: "5 mins\0"
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0, Find: "5 mins\0", Replace: "1h0m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 8,  Find: "10 mins", Replace: "2h0m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 16, Find: "15 mins", Replace: "3h0m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 24, Find: "30 mins", Replace: "3h30m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 32, Find: "45 mins", Replace: "4h0m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 38, Find: "60 mins", Replace: "4h30m"}
  # Values (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3887105)
  - FindBaseAddressSymbol: "N3SettingsPowerView::initChoices()"
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 11,  Find: 5,  Replace: 55}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 465, Find: 5,  Replace: 55}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 99,  Find: 10, Replace: 110}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 525, Find: 10, Replace: 110}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 159, Find: 15, Replace: 165}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 583, Find: 15, Replace: 165}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 219, Find: 30, Replace: 193}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 641, Find: 30, Replace: 193}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 279, Find: 45, Replace: 220}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 699, Find: 45, Replace: 220}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 339, Find: 60, Replace: 248}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 755, Find: 60, Replace: 248}
But I keep having an error in the log, here it is:
Spoiler:

Code:
        |   Patch("Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts") enabled=true
          |     ResetBaseAddress()
          |     applying
          |     looping over instructions
          |       kobopatch.ReplaceBytesAtSymbol index=4 line=1230
          |         ReplaceBytesAtSymbol.FindH -> Expand <04 FB 05 F5> to set ReplaceBytesAtSymbol.Find to <04fb05f5>
          |         ReplaceBytesAtSymbol.ReplaceH -> Expand <4F EA 05 45> to set ReplaceBytesAtSymbol.Replace to <4fea0545>
          |           ReplaceBytesAtSymbol("N3PowerWorkflowManager::configureWakeup(AlarmControl*, int, char const*)", 12, []byte{0x4, 0xfb, 0x5, 0xf5}, []byte{0x4f, 0xea, 0x5, 0x45})
          |             FindBaseAddressSymbol("N3PowerWorkflowManager::configureWakeup(AlarmControl*, int, char const*)") -> 
          |         could not apply patch "Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts": line 1230: inst 4: ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: FindBaseAddressSymbol: could not find symbol
        --> could not apply patch "Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts": line 1230: inst 4: ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: FindBaseAddressSymbol: could not find symbol
(The red line in the first bit of code is the line 1230)

It seems to be unable to find a symbol but I have no idea of how to fix the mistake or even from where it came from.

Thank you so much for any reply!
Clem2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #737
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem2605 View Post
I copy/pasted the results in my 'libnickel' file and
Download kobopatch_4.26.16704 again and replace only part

Spoiler:
Code:
# Menu text
  - FindBaseAddressString: "5 mins\0"
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0, Find: "5 mins\0", Replace: "1h0m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 8,  Find: "10 mins", Replace: "2h0m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 16, Find: "15 mins", Replace: "3h0m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 24, Find: "30 mins", Replace: "3h30m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 32, Find: "45 mins", Replace: "4h0m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 38, Find: "60 mins", Replace: "4h30m"}
  # Values (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3887105)
  - FindBaseAddressSymbol: "N3SettingsPowerView::initChoices()"
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 11,  Find: 5,  Replace: 55}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 465, Find: 5,  Replace: 55}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 99,  Find: 10, Replace: 110}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 525, Find: 10, Replace: 110}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 159, Find: 15, Replace: 165}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 583, Find: 15, Replace: 165}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 219, Find: 30, Replace: 193}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 641, Find: 30, Replace: 193}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 279, Find: 45, Replace: 220}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 699, Find: 45, Replace: 220}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 339, Find: 60, Replace: 248}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 755, Find: 60, Replace: 248}
Only this part, not all.

Last edited by Semwize; 06-20-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #738
momijizukamori
momijizukamori began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Kobo Glo
Anyone have any luck overwriting the CJK fallback fonts? I'm getting steadily more annoyed by the missing Simplified Chinese characters in the titles of some of my books (see screenshot) and decided to try to do something about it.

What I tried:
kobopatch.yaml
Code:
  # Fonts
  src/cjksans.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M.ttf
  src/cjkserif.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf
nickel.yaml
Code:
Add title fallback fonts:
  - Enabled: yes
  - Description: |
      Add CJK fallback fonts for titles
  - BaseAddress: 0x14C8B81
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
      # Change the replacement values to your desired width (I've made it half the default width as an example).
      - {Find: "font-family: Georgia;", Replace: "font-family: Georgia, CJKSerif;"}
      - {Find: "font-family: Avenir;", Replace: "font-family: Avenir, CJKSans;"}
  - BaseAddress: 0x14C9E23
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
      # Change the replacement values to your desired width (I've made it half the default width as an example).
      - {Find: "font-family: Georgia;", Replace: "font-family: Georgia, CJKSerif;"}
      - {Find: "font-family: Avenir;", Replace: "font-family: Avenir, CJKSans;"}
...where CJKSans and CJKSerif are two fonts I cobbled together out of Microsoft's stock Japanese and Simplified Chinese fonts. The patches work and apply properly (side note: do not attempt to add CJK glyphs to Georgia and patch that, the update fails and I had to factory-reset my Glo. Probably a filesize issue), but I don't see any changes in the UI and while CJKSans now shows up in the list of available fonts, CJKSerif dosn't and instead Kobo Tsukushi Minsho does (see second screenshot), which makes me think it's not being overwritten and still being used as the fallback somewhere.

I have a Glo and am happy to pop open the case and mount the internal SD card to investigate if it helps at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	302
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	187832   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	293
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	187833  
momijizukamori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #739
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You only change the filename without changing the font name in the Font Info. Therefore, nickel does not see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momijizukamori View Post
side note: do not attempt to add CJK glyphs to Georgia and patch that, the update fails and I had to factory-reset my Glo. Probably a filesize issue
I once added missing glyphs to Georgia (not Japanese alphabet characters) for the sake of testing, and it worked great.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #740
momijizukamori
momijizukamori began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
You only change the filename without changing the font name in the Font Info. Therefore, nickel does not see it.
I once added missing glyphs to Georgia (not Japanese alphabet characters) for the sake of testing, and it worked great.
Yeah, but if it's being overwritten, it shouldn't be showing up in the font-list, no? Like UD Kakugo no longer shows up and CJKSans shows up instead - but CJKSerif doesn't.

And like I said, I think with Georgia it was a filesize issue - so if you were only adding a handful of missing glyphs it was probably fine. But adding the thousands of CJK glyphs (well, CJ, mostly, as I don't need hangul support) makes the filesize go from like ~200kb to ~12mb. My two modified fonts are much closer (within a mb or two) of the existing CJK fonts which is why I went with overwriting them.
momijizukamori is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #741
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by momijizukamori View Post
My two modified fonts are much closer (within a mb or two) of the existing CJK fonts which is why I went with overwriting them.
I don’t know what these fonts are, haven’t come across them. If they display well the Latin alphabet, try replacing Georgia with one of these fonts. By changing the filename and font name in info.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #742
Masqueey
Masqueey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
So far, kobopatch and nickel menu are absolutely great add-ons to my Kobo e-reader.

I got one feature request for kobopatch. Some "updates" (from Kobo themselves) ago, they added the "feature" that when you select text, it automatically marks it. I absolutely hate this so called feature and feel like it is just not very thought out.

I would love to see a way to disable this feature and return it to the way it was before: after you selected text, you could click "mark selection" to mark it, instead of automatically marking it.

(I am not sure whether to make this request here or on Github, let me know which one I am supposed to use.)

Last edited by Masqueey; 07-07-2021 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added the question about where to post this feature request.
Masqueey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:02 PM   #743
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masqueey View Post
I got one feature request for kobopatch. Some "updates" (from Kobo themselves) ago, they added the "feature" that when you select text, it automatically marks it. I absolutely hate this so called feature and feel like it is just not very thought out.

I would love to see a way to disable this feature and return it to the way it was before: after you selected text, you could click "mark selection" to mark it, instead of automatically marking it.
This sounds simple at first and I did look into it, but it turned out to be too complicated to make a patch for due to the way selection is implemented.

Quote:
(I am not sure whether to make this request here or on Github, let me know which one I am supposed to use.)
Either one works.

The initial post in this thread is currently a bit out of date (I didn't have time to read the recent replies from the last month), but I'm going to fix that soon after I finish the next kobopatch-patches release.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #744
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For some bizarre reason, the Elipsa doesn't list recently used notebooks in the Home Screen. As a workaround, is it possible to make My Notebooks the default page when starting Nickel, instead of Home?

That way it is much faster for me to go from KOReader to my notebooks and back.

Thanks in advance.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #745
Octogenarihexate
Octogenarihexate began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa
I don't know if this is possible, but I figured I'd ask anyway:
I have an Elipsa. I find that the PDF/CBZ viewer works mostly fine for my purposes, however, every so often I'd like to be able to quickly zoom in.

I noted that double-tapping the screen gives a 200% zoom that allows me to page around to each corner of the image by swiping in the direction I'd like to go (something like my Kindle's Panel View), but the default zoom in this mode is just way, way too high to be terribly useful.
I was wondering: would it be possible to keep this functionality (double-tap to zoom, swipe to page around to each corner without needing to drag) but also be able to define a custom zoom level?

edit: just to be clear, I know about KOReader, but I really don't like it very much. It renders some of my PDFs very oddly, and the speed increase isn't really that big a thing for me.
Octogenarihexate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:45 PM   #746
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Octogenarihexate: We'd be mildly intersted in what you mean by "oddly", ideally with matching test cases .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #747
Octogenarihexate
Octogenarihexate began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Octogenarihexate: We'd be mildly intersted in what you mean by "oddly", ideally with matching test cases .
Eh, I did some poking and it turned out to be user error on my part: I don't know if this is supposed to be the case, but I raised the contrast on one of my PDF magazines at some point and it seemed to carry that setting over on just that one PDF.

The request still stands, as I like to use the pen to mark up my PDFs and I don't think KOReader supports that as of yet?
Octogenarihexate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #748
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogenarihexate View Post
Eh, I did some poking and it turned out to be user error on my part: I don't know if this is supposed to be the case, but I raised the contrast on one of my PDF magazines at some point and it seemed to carry that setting over on just that one PDF.
A long press on a setting makes it "default" (i.e., applies to all subsequently opened documents), so it's likely something like that happened .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogenarihexate View Post
The request still stands, as I like to use the pen to mark up my PDFs and I don't think KOReader supports that as of yet?
Yep, the pen is just a fancy pointer right now.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #749
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
While not a huge priority, could there be a patch so that the Kobo Store's book description/synopsis doesn't replace a user-loaded one when wifi is turned on?

Thanks
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #750
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I have applied the header/footer font patch, so now I have the book title and chapter in Georgia but the page number, X of Y, is still in Avenir.

Is there a way to make all in-book header/footer items the same font?

And, I know this is probably impossible, but, is it possible to add pinch to zoom for changing font sizes? I know it's available in KOReader (iirc) but I don't like using KOReader.

Last edited by Pjama; 10-25-2021 at 04:05 PM. Reason: To add an apostrophe
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests