Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #691
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbndr View Post
Got it, thanks for saving me the trouble. I wonder, is it instead possible to restore the older screensaver screen? The one with "Sleeping" etc at the top of the screen, and "X% read • Expires in Y days" etc at the bottom.
But if you are going to setup this Kobo to be as easy to use as possible, you'll need a sleep cover and with a sleep cover, you hardly ever see the sleep screen. (it's not a screensaver as there is no screen that needs saving)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #692
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you are going to setup this Kobo to be as easy to use as possible, you'll need a sleep cover and with a sleep cover, you hardly ever see the sleep screen. (it's not a screensaver as there is no screen that needs saving)
It would not be hard to argue that having a cover on a device doesn't make it "as easy to use as possible". The button to wake a Libra H2O when it isn't in a cover is easy to access, so there is no real advantage.

Of course, as your usual argument is that an ereader not in a case is a broken ereader, it's refreshing to see you coming up with different dogmatic advice. Though the "not a screensaver" argument is pretty pointless as it has been a general term for anything shown in this way for a long time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #693
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It would not be hard to argue that having a cover on a device doesn't make it "as easy to use as possible". The button to wake a Libra H2O when it isn't in a cover is easy to access, so there is no real advantage.

Of course, as your usual argument is that an ereader not in a case is a broken ereader, it's refreshing to see you coming up with different dogmatic advice. Though the "not a screensaver" argument is pretty pointless as it has been a general term for anything shown in this way for a long time.
The term screensaver for eInk has been wrong since the first use. And yes, a sleep cover is easier to use then the button.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #694
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The term screensaver for eInk has been wrong since the first use.
It doesn't matter. "screensaver" is now a generic term for this sort function. It hasn't been accurate in any place it is used for a long time, but, people know what it means.
Quote:
And yes, a sleep cover is easier to use then the button.
Really? You find it harder to use the button on your Libra H2O to wake the device than a cover? I didn't know you had a Libra H2O as you haven't mentioned it. You should probably update your profile to show the purchase.

Of course, if you do not have a cover, it is a significantly easier to use the button than to use a cover. And some people don't use them as they don't like them. And honestly, on my Aura H2O (as that is the only Kobo ereader you list), yes, I think waking it with the button is easier that closing the cover and opening the cover again as I don't always close cover when I put my ereaders down. And I frequently push the button on my ereaders to see the cover and status and then push it again to wake it. I prefer to display the page numbers when reading and that is an easy way to see the percent read and time-to-read for kepubs. It might seem silly, but, it works for me. And I also lift the corner of the cover on the Libra H2O so I can see the info panel.

And even when I use a device cover, I do see the book cover when I open the device cover. I like being able to see the book covers.

Configuring these things might not be useful to you, but it is to other people. And experimenting with different options helps to know what can and can't be done, what is and isn't useful and what is best for an individual.

Jon: The real point here is that @mxbndr wants to know if they can customise a function. Sharing your experience is one thing, but, far to many of your posts are really telling people that as you don't don't do something, no-one else should do it either. Yes, that IS what you far to frequently do. And it is definitely what you did this time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #695
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe
mxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Do you mean the 'not-fullscreen screensaver'? If so, that's just a standard checkbox in Settings>Energy saving and privacy
Ah, I should have been more specific. I am using custom screensavers, which I think force the UI to have the infopanel (I believe that is what the little "Sleeping" or "Powered off" tab-looking thing is called) instead of the header and footer (at least with the requisite patch enabled, which AFAIK is necessary to show anything at all while using a custom image). I'm looking to have a custom screensaver while retaining the way it typically looks on top and bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Jon: The real point here is that @mxbndr wants to know if they can customise a function. Sharing your experience is one thing, but, far to many of your posts are really telling people that as you don't don't do something, no-one else should do it either. Yes, that IS what you far to frequently do. And it is definitely what you did this time.
Thanks, @davidfor.
mxbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #696
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Ah, I should have been more specific. I am using custom screensavers, which I think force the UI to have the infopanel (I believe that is what the little "Sleeping" or "Powered off" tab-looking thing is called) instead of the header and footer (at least with the requisite patch enabled, which AFAIK is necessary to show anything at all while using a custom image). I'm looking to have a custom screensaver while retaining the way it typically looks on top and bottom.
If you're talking about using the Kobo feature of storing custom screensavers in a screensavers directory for random display then I'm afraid I can't help. I've never used it so don't know the ins and outs. Maybe someone else will chime in.

ETA: I thought the infopanel didn't appear by default if you're using this option because there's a kobopatch Allow showing info panel on random screensaver in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml which will display the infopanel.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-15-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #697
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe
mxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
If you're talking about using the Kobo feature of storing custom screensavers in a screensavers directory for random display then I'm afraid I can't help. I've never used it so don't know the ins and outs. Maybe someone else will chime in.

ETA: I thought the infopanel didn't appear by default if you're using this option because there's a kobopatch Allow showing info panel on random screensaver in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml which will display the infopanel.
AFAICT, this is what it normally looks like, without a custom screensaver, with the information shown as a header and footer:
https://i.imgur.com/7rKFBRg.jpg

and this is how it is shown with a custom screensaver (using the official "screensaver" folder method), and the aforementioned "Allow showing info panel on random screensaver" patch in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
https://i.imgur.com/PalRVfJ.jpg

What I'm hoping to achieve is a combination: custom screensaver, but information in the header and footer rather than the infopanel.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:01 AM   #698
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
What I'm hoping to achieve is a combination: custom screensaver, but information in the header and footer rather than the infopanel.
You're confusing me now. All our original conversation (and patch code) was related to the standard Kobo fullscreen screensaver feature. [In technical nickel terms, resource FullScreenDragonPowerView.qss]

Your first image is the standard Kobo non-fullscreen screensaver feature. [In technical nickel terms, resource FramedDragonPowerView.qss]

No discussion you and I have had so far relates to patching the latter CSS. Neither are there any existing kobopatches which do target this CSS.

I can post the CSS from FramedDragonPowerView.qss if you want to do some kobopatch experiments with that, but if custom random screensavers (your 2nd image) is what you really want then, as far as I know, they are always fullscreen, i.e not "framed".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #699
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I can post the CSS from FramedDragonPowerView.qss if you want to do some kobopatch experiments with that, but if custom random screensavers (your 2nd image) is what you really want then, as far as I know, they are always fullscreen, i.e not "framed".
Currently, to get the custom random screensavers, you need to select "Show book covers full screen" in the Energy saving and privacy settings.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #700
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe

Quote:
You're confusing me now. All our original conversation (and patch code) was related to the standard Kobo fullscreen screensaver feature. [In technical nickel terms, resource FullScreenDragonPowerView.qss]

Your first image is the standard Kobo non-fullscreen screensaver feature. [In technical nickel terms, resource FramedDragonPowerView.qss]

No discussion you and I have had so far relates to patching the latter CSS. Neither are there any existing kobopatches which do target this CSS.

Apologies! I was originally trying to move the infopanel, yes. As that isn't possible, I am now trying to find out if I can use the header/footer setup that appears when not in fullscreen (and when not using a custom image).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Currently, to get the custom random screensavers, you need to select "Show book covers full screen" in the Energy saving and privacy settings.
Yes. So, my understanding is that in order to get custom images to show, it needs to be fullscreen, and if it's fullscreen, it disables the header and footer info on the screensaver. I want to enable a custom image, but still leverage the top and bottom for information.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #701
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe

Separate, completely unrelated question:

Is it possible to make a Kobo sleep on a timer, even when in use? I have a friend who asked if this is possible to help them limit their reading sessions. For example, they find themselves reading late into the night and then losing sleep because they lost track of the time. Sure, they could just set a timer, but they often forget, and are hoping that Kobo can automate some of this digital hygiene.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #702
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Separate, completely unrelated question:

Is it possible to make a Kobo sleep on a timer, even when in use? I have a friend who asked if this is possible to help them limit their reading sessions. For example, they find themselves reading late into the night and then losing sleep because they lost track of the time. Sure, they could just set a timer, but they often forget, and are hoping that Kobo can automate some of this digital hygiene.
NickelMenu + NickelDBus can easily do this.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #703
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
NickelMenu + NickelDBus can easily do this.
Thanks! I have successfully installed both NickelMenu and NickelDBus. However, I'm not sure of the command to run for auto-sleep nor where to run it. With NickelMenu, I can successfully create menu items via the "config" file I created, per the "doc" file that exists already. Is this where NickelDBus items should live, too? Or am I meant to run commands in a terminal window?

I read this, but it's a little sparse for a n00b like me.
https://shermp.github.io/NickelDBus/
Old 12-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #704
Vorath
Vorath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura | Sony 650
Is it technically possible to add a "transparent screensaver" (as talked about here https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...o-screensaver/) that shows you last read page when you turn off your Kobo?
Vorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #705
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Thanks! I have successfully installed both NickelMenu and NickelDBus. However, I'm not sure of the command to run for auto-sleep nor where to run it. With NickelMenu, I can successfully create menu items via the "config" file I created, per the "doc" file that exists already. Is this where NickelDBus items should live, too? Or am I meant to run commands in a terminal window?

I read this, but it's a little sparse for a n00b like me.
https://shermp.github.io/NickelDBus/
It should be as simple as something like 'menu_item:reader:Power-off in 30m:cmd_spawn:sleep 1800;qndb -m pwrShutdown'.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests