Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Oasis newbie

Prime Day Oasis owner, finally! Was going to be a 2019 BF Oasis owner but Amazon and I didn't see eye to eye on the trade in process and I ended up cancelling.

In any case, excited to get started. First off, I got a blank screen after registration and restarted. Looks like it's updating now...

Second, I always have cases for my readers but I like to read sans cases. It worked fine for the Paperwhite but oh my goodness, the sleek Oasis isn't going to work. What are your tips to a better and more comfortable grip sans case? Commercial and DIY solutions welcomed.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
In any case, excited to get started. First off, I got a blank screen after registration and restarted. Looks like it's updating now...
Congrats! just received mine today too.

Same thing happened to me and a few others on reddit. Blank screen right after declining Audible. After powering off/restarting, it is fine unless you open the "Setup Your Kindle" link on the home page. Then it will happen again. Still...everything seems to be fine so far otherwise.

Quote:
Second, I always have cases for my readers but I like to read sans cases. It worked fine for the Paperwhite but oh my goodness, the sleek Oasis isn't going to work. What are your tips to a better and more comfortable grip sans case? Commercial and DIY solutions welcomed.
Sorry, no suggestions at the moment for a sans case grip! Though I have seen people say they use a popsocket. I bought an Ayotu case and plan to leave it in that even while reading at the moment. We'll see how things go!

edit: mine is charging right now and then I plan to hook it up to my pc and load some books on it from Calibre!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine updated and looks to be working fine. I'm super excited too...I'm a little appalled how nerdy giddy I'm getting.

But yeah, holding it is driving me nuts. I usually hold off buying cases until I get a feel for the reader. Within seconds, I learned I need something that gives me a better grip for the back. Wish Amazon had used the same material as the PW, which is comfortable to grip.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Prime Day Oasis owner, finally! Was going to be a 2019 BF Oasis owner but Amazon and I didn't see eye to eye on the trade in process and I ended up cancelling.

I had real trouble with the coldness and slipperiness of the awful aluminium back too. I ended up getting this Skinomi skin: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WGQPCW3

That has, if anything, more grip than the old rubberized backs used to, and has seen minimal degradation over the last nearly-a-year of intensive use.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
WDeranged
Enthusiast
WDeranged began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I got an Ayotu case with mine. It's slightly rubberised and very grippy. Does the job and doesn't smash your wallet like the official case.
WDeranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
When I first got my Oasis, I had to wait on the cover. I put "gaffer tape" on the back of the thicker side, and it worked very well. It gave it some grip and covered the cold metal.

After several snap in type covers, I have the cloth waterproof type now. I found it on eBay for just a few dollars. Amazon has them for $30-40 I think.

I also used, for a short time, a texured "skin" by a company called Skinomi. It was ok, but not great.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
When I first got my Oasis, I had to wait on the cover. I put "gaffer tape" on the back of the thicker side, and it worked very well. It gave it some grip and covered the cold metal.

After several snap in type covers, I have the cloth waterproof type now. I found it on eBay for just a few dollars. Amazon has them for $30-40 I think.

I also used, for a short time, a texured "skin" by a company called Skinomi. It was ok, but not great.
The main advantage of skins over covers to me (and obviously you can use both at once, and put a cover on a skinned Kindle) is that skins are much lighter: mine came in at 4g, i.e. totally imperceptible. (The main disadvantage is that you can't really take them off again, at least not reversibly, so pick one and, um, stick with it.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
tdonline
Addict

Quote:

Gaffer tape sounds like the way to go while I dither on buying a case. It's advertised as residue-free, did you find that the case for your Oasis?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
tdonline
Addict

Disabling the touch screen may come in handy as I let my fingers spread over the screen a bit and get a more comfortable grip.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Gaffer tape sounds like the way to go while I dither on buying a case. It's advertised as residue-free, did you find that the case for your Oasis?
I'm not sure I understand your question...the gaffer tape came off cleanly, as did the skin, if that is what you were asking.

I love the cloth case I'm using now. Enough that I'd pay $40 for another one if this one broke. I love the texture, and the inside of the front has a nice grippy feel for when I'm reading and holding the Oasis with the cover folded all the way to the back.

I had two other cases, one from Fintie that cracked within a couple of months, and a Ayotu cover that attached with 2-sided tape that was horrible and didn't stay attached.

In reserve is a cheap case from IVSO that works fine, but the surface of the front got odd looking from skin oils. I kept it as a backup.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #11
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your question...the gaffer tape came off cleanly, as did the skin, if that is what you were asking.
Yes, thank you.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
I use gaffer tape for holding down wires in temporary auditoriums. (Probably its biggest use). That said: it depends on which gaffer tape you buy, as to how well it removes. Most of our uses are for a few hours only, but sometimes we can leave a venue setup for a few weeks. We had one cheap brand of gaffer tape that didn't remove well after about 2 weeks. So we've stuck with the professional brands since then. "Gaffer Power" is a good brand.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard

I don't know what brand I used...it was in the video room at my church, I didn't buy it because I only needed a few inches. Knowing the typically stuff they use, it was probably good stuff.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yup. Church is where my experience comes from too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #15
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I have used a Fintie easel case on all my Kindles. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's way too convenient for it to just sit there sitting up ready to read.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote