Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #841
Kirek50
Kirek50 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3, TouchLux 3, Nook STGL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
My two Inkpad 3s have become my favourite reading devices, even with the new firmware. I just use Koreader as a reading software.
Write more about Koreader working with the new 6.1x firmware.
Kirek50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #842
Repto
Repto began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Alright so I wasn't crazy about the sluggishness of the new Inkpad 3 firmware v6.1, I may downgrade too then and try, even after what I said I still experience some "random" freezes and it doesn't seem as fast as before switching pages on cbz/cbr files. Too bad the new adjustments options are really handy

@TGFB3: Did you try resetting to neutral adjustments and see if it seemed more responsive? I tried it and didn't see much results.

Also I guess you know that, but you always have to make sure you only have one book opened in the task manager, it speeds up page switching noticeably

Last edited by Repto; 11-28-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Repto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #843
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirek50 View Post
Well, if you like a highly customizable reader and are willing to read the Wiki/documentation on GitHub and here in the forum in order to get to know all the features, you will definitely get the best reading experience possible on a Pocketbook. (DRM not working, of course.)

I've customized the upper and lower status bar, tapping zones and gestures to my liking. The status bars contain more info; I can bring up menus and functions that I use often via gesture, swiping or tapping the corners. Margins, line and word spacing can also be fine-tuned.

I also prefer the much better dictionaries (English-German, English-English) I have found for KoReader.

Some minor things don't work as KoReader is not quite integrated into the Pocketbook system as Coolreader was. The developers are trying to resolve some of these issues, so that might change in the future.
You cannot start the device with the last page open as a screenshot during boot-up, but you can have the last book opened directly after the device has booted. This just takes a little longer.
If you want to update KoReader OTA, you have to turn on the Wi-Fi in the PB menu, then quickly open KoReader and go directly to the update function. I hardly use any other functions that need Wi-Fi as this can be a hassle most of the time.
Also, the covers of books opened with KoReader won't be displayed as an image when the device is powered off. You have to open the book with the PB reader for that.

The new firmware brings the "open with"-menu to the long tap on the homescreen and in the library, so switching between readers is really easy.
You just need to adjust the file "extensions.cfg" to have the menu display all the entries for KoReader and the two PB readers that you need.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #844
TGFB3
TGFB3 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 740 (Inkpad 3) + 512 GB micro SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repto View Post

@TGFB3: Did you try resetting to neutral adjustments and see if it seemed more responsive? I tried it and didn't see much results.
I did try both a full factory reset AND a full internal SD formatting, neither did improve anything. I´m back to 5.2 now and works like a charm, though I miss the contrast adjustment function (works wonders in B/W comics)

@LubyOne, out of curiosity, what file formats do you usually read in? I found that in 6.1 it´s complex PDF and large .cbz files (> 100 MB) which the default PB reader struggles the most.

Last edited by TGFB3; 11-30-2020 at 04:22 AM.
TGFB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:30 AM   #845
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mainly read EPUB with KOReader and sometimes smaller PDF files with the PB reader, mostly in reflow mode. I haven't noticed any particular lagging or crashing with the new firmware.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #846
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirek50 View Post
I forgot to mention that the progress in books read with KOReader is not shown in the PB library. You have to set it to "completed" manually.

However, highlighting and note taking is really easy with KOReader. I export my highlights into text files using KoHighlights on my PC.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #847
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Quote:
I forgot to mention that the progress in books read with KOReader is not shown in the PB library. You have to set it to "completed" manually.

However, highlighting and note taking is really easy with KOReader. I export my highlights into text files using KoHighlights on my PC.

Thanks a lot, this is very useful. As always. (cannot give you karma anyome as I'm forced to give to others before)
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #848
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

You're welcome! Hope you get to love KOReader at least as much as CoolReader.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:10 AM   #849
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If it hadn't been for KOReader I would've trashed my TL3 for a Kobo months ago.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:37 AM   #850
cassini
Enthusiast
cassini began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
New firmware for PB Inkpad 3 released. Here is changelog.

http://support.pocketbook-int.com/fw...nkPad_3_EN.pdf
cassini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:45 AM   #851
ldmobi
Enthusiast
ldmobi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

I've customized the upper and lower status bar, tapping zones and gestures to my liking.
Could you explain how to do that? I have 2 problems, I once found the menu to modify the tap zones but I can't find it anymore, I've been exploring settings like a madman but can't remember where it was.
The second problem is that I remember the settings being a little confusing, the percentage of height should be clear enough, but there was a "x" setting, is it the distance from one edge?
ldmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:10 AM   #852
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

You can modify the tap zones in "gear" - Taps and gestures - Gesture manager. But the options there don't actually change the page turning zones. For this you have to use the text editor under plugins (or at your computer).
I have configured mine to work like the default Pocketbook page turning zones, meaning bottom quarter goes back, middle zone goes forward on both sides.

I'm not entirely sure which are the relevant settings, but I assume these are:
DTAP_ZONE_FORWARD = {x = 0, y = 0, w = 1, h = 0.75}
DTAP_ZONE_BACKWARD = {x = 0, y = 0.75, w = 1, h = 0.25}

For more detailed instructions please look into the KOReader subforum, where the expert developers are.

Edit: Or I guess you meant Tools (in file browser) - more tools - advanced settings. There you can edit all the defaults.

Last edited by LucyOne; 12-11-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:38 AM   #853
ldmobi
Enthusiast
ldmobi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Edit: Or I guess you meant Tools (in file browser) - more tools - advanced settings. There you can edit all the defaults.
That's it! Thanks

I guess setting could be a bit more organized and less scattered around, but nonetheless Koreader is much better than stock!
ldmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #854
TGFB3
TGFB3 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 740 (Inkpad 3) + 512 GB micro SD
I have to say, whereas the new firmware update did not fix much, Koreader is perfectly usable on my Inkpad. Grayscale gradients are sometimes weird when it´s going on color images but it´s insanely faster compared to default PB Reader. So it must be some weird thing in the software after the update to 6.1.

I´m not a big fan of how scattered the settings are either, but the amount of customisability is insanely good. Also, being able to auto-open the next file in the folder is a godsend.
Not being able to sync with the default PB library (and the .sdr file spam...) is my only gripe with Koreader, really.
TGFB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #855
mooms
mooms began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad 3
You should try PBImageViewer, it's more bare bone than KoReader, but it's my favorite manga reader (and it can open CBR archives).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=162852

I have installed firmware 6.1.1229 on my Inkpad 3 (from 5.2), it works fine, but I find the integrated manga reader sluggish, PBImageViewer and KoReader works fine though.
mooms is offline   Reply With Quote