Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Kindlegen errorlevel/exit code listing?

I'm writing a tool to automate calling Kindlegen in batch fashion. I'm seeing an ExitCode of 1 even though it succeeded (albeit with warnings). My understanding is that the normal rules on DOS/Windows are that any exit code/errorlevel > 0 should be an error.

Does anybody have a list of the non-standard exit codes used by kindlegen, so I can handle them appropriately?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I'm writing a tool to automate calling Kindlegen in batch fashion. I'm seeing an ExitCode of 1 even though it succeeded (albeit with warnings). My understanding is that the normal rules on DOS/Windows are that any exit code/errorlevel > 0 should be an error.

Does anybody have a list of the non-standard exit codes used by kindlegen, so I can handle them appropriately?
Wrong forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Wrong forum.
Maybe not in this case.

IIRC, KindleGen returns the following error level numbers:

0 = Info(prcgen):I1036: Mobi file built successfully

1 = Info(prcgen):I1037: Mobi file built with WARNINGS!

2 = Info(prcgen):I1038: MOBI file could not be generated because of errors!
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Maybe not in this case.

I see the "Mobi file built with WARNINGS!" occasionally when using Mobipocket Creator, and it usually means either an error with the metadata or the cover. I don't know how this would correspond with the error in Kindlegen, but hopefully it will be of some help?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I see the "Mobi file built with WARNINGS!" occasionally when using Mobipocket Creator, and it usually means either an error with the metadata or the cover. I don't know how this would correspond with the error in Kindlegen, but hopefully it will be of some help?
I've yet to have the "warnings" result in a broken book that I've noticed - I think the typical ones that I see are for either fonts or CSS that Kindlegen doesn't like. But it's able to ignore them and produce a usable book anyways. So for my purposes I'm happy to ignore those (and treat it as a success) - it's only the true errors that I'm worried about right now!
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2016, 03:22 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Wrong forum.
Quote:
Maybe not in this case.

I am pretty sure this belongs in the Kindle Formats subforum, since it is about a tool used to generate Kindle Format ebooks, and doesn't really have anything to do with the Kindle ereader device, or especially hacking on the Kindle E-Ink ereaders.

Moved.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-04-2016 at 03:24 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I've yet to have the "warnings" result in a broken book that I've noticed - I think the typical ones that I see are for either fonts or CSS that Kindlegen doesn't like. But it's able to ignore them and produce a usable book anyways. So for my purposes I'm happy to ignore those (and treat it as a success) - it's only the true errors that I'm worried about right now!
Likewise. The annoying part is that this behavior changed in a Kindlegen update a couple of years ago, and warnings that used to be ignored, resulting in a zero exit code, now result in kindlegen returning 1, thus requiring Makefile changes. I forget when that happened—maybe between 1.x and 2.x.

There's also no real notion of severity for warnings, nor the ability to ignore specific types of warnings that aren't really important, making the separate exit status for warnings much less useful than it otherwise would be.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote