Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Ubuntu Dropping 32bit support, Wine devs "concerned"

So Ubuntu has confirmed they are dropping support for 32bit from 19.10. The Wine devs have expressed concern.

What this means its it's probably going to be at least a pain, and maybe not possible, to run 32bit Windows apps on Ubuntu and Ubuntu based Linux distros.

My current set up is Linux Mint 19.1 (based on Ubuntu 18.04) and I run K4PC 1.16.0 and ADE 2.0.1 under wine for DRM purposes. They're both 32bit apps. I don't know if either are available as 64bit but even if they are (now or in the future) that would force me to upgrade to problematic versions i.e. ones that don't work with Alf's tools.

So I can see me switching distros in the not too distant future.

This also has implications for my day job where I work on Linux software that runs on 64bit OSes with 32bit support. But that's less important
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
So I can see me switching distros in the not too distant future.
Linux Mint 19.x is based on the LTS Ubuntu 18.04. It should work until 2023, I think. I'm using Linux Mint 19.1 on this computer also (but I don't use Wine).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True but I don't like the idea of not being able to upgrade it I want/need to for some other reason.

Part of the problem is relying on fixed versions of programs. Right now you can't de-DRM with K4PC 1.26+. So I'd need not only a Wine64 compatible version but for Alf to crack the latest DRM. ADE is even worse because their "new" (> 2.0) DRM means you can't go back. I got a new work laptop last week and the version of Windows 10 on it won't install ADE 2.0.1 by default because it requires a really old version of .Net framework which you have to go into the settings to allow it to be installed. I didn't want to do that on my work PC. How long before that setting goes away and you can't install that version of .Net?

But on the other hand, I have enough to read and I've always said that if we ever get to the point where DRM is uncrackable I'll have to respond appropriately. It'd be a shame if I couldn't put any ebook on any device but I'd live I expect.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This is sad news. Linux was the way I chose to continue using some of my older 32bit (P4) hardware that did not have to oomph to run bloated windows..
I also think, they should step back and look again at what is happening on the Windows side. (Windows 64 bit users: Take a look at Program files (x86) , I have 56 entries. Some of those are CURRENT M$ supplied. Others are Mainstream apps that no 64 bit version exists.)

If M$ developers haven't updated their offerings to 64bit, do they really think the Linux ones will? Many a fine app was contributed as a work of love of coding (and spare time). Obsoleting 32bit, will not get these automatically updated.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there a technical benefit to dropping support for 32-bit applications? There are relatively few tasks which require the >4GB address space of a 64-bit application. Does running 32-bit apps inhibit the performance of the CPU in some way?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
From Engadget: Steam will stop supporting Ubuntu Linux over 32-bit compatibility

Quote:
If you're a Linux gamer who prefers Ubuntu, you might want to look for another distribution in the near future. Valve is dropping official support for Ubuntu in Steam as of the operating system's upcoming 19.10 release, which will cut 32-bit x86 components.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-23-2019 at 11:59 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This is sad news. Linux was the way I chose to continue using some of my older 32bit (P4) hardware that did not have to oomph to run bloated windows..
I've got a couple 32-bit laptops. They'll probably be worn out by 2023 (Latitude D400s were made in 2003, so that will make them 20 years old). But Ubuntu is not the only company in the Linux "business." I don't think everyone is dropping 32-bit. I'm pretty sure Debian (for one) won't.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If M$ developers haven't updated their offerings to 64bit, do they really think the Linux ones will? Many a fine app was contributed as a work of love of coding (and spare time). Obsoleting 32bit, will not get these automatically updated.
I think just about every application I've seen in Linux during the last four or five years has been both 64-bit and 32-bit. It must be easier to develop for both 32-bit and 64-bit in Linux than in Windows.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Well, it's not like Ubuntu is the only linux available. About Ubuntu TechRadar Pro says "One of the most popular distros for good reasons. Very accessible for novices." Time to take off the trainer wheels and use a real linux; e.g. Debian, which is solid.

Last edited by lumpynose; 06-23-2019 at 07:24 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
latepaul
Wizard

So apparently they're not dropping support, they're freezing it.

Ubuntu NOT Dropping 32-bit App Support After All?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The problem with freezing is that ice is brittle and will eventually break.

I really don't see what Ubuntu is getting from this move. It's not like Debian is doing the same thing. How much effort does it take Ubuntu to keep including up-to-date 32-bit libraries?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
The problem with freezing is that ice is brittle and will eventually break.

I really don't see what Ubuntu is getting from this move. It's not like Debian is doing the same thing. How much effort does it take Ubuntu to keep including up-to-date 32-bit libraries?
I've got to agree with you there. But I think Ubuntu is trying to do (basically) what Red Hat did, become a commercial Linux. Red Hat dropped 32-bit versions years ago, though I do think they still provide 32-bit libraries.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Apparently Ubuntu has had a change of plans.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Looks good. I'm probably not one who would have been affected much by the change, but I'm happy for those who use Wine and/or play games on Linux.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-26-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: stupid mistake in grammar
Old 06-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
That's all very odd. For well over a year the latest Ubuntu that will run on a 32-bit system is 16.02 LTS.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote