Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2016, 02:14 AM   #1
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Anyone is still using Kobo Glo?

I have a H2O, and it is a good device. But I've found it to heavy to hold by one hand for a long time. So I have been checking the kindle voyage and oasis lately. But they are just a bit expensive for me!

However, I just see someone trying to sell his Kobo Glo. It seems people here loved the Glo. Can you guys give me some advices? What is good/bad about Glo? Is it a bad idea to buy a 5-year-old device now?

(PS: I still don't know how much the guy is asking for. He hasn't set the 2nd hand price yet.)

Thanks.

Last edited by 344a; 10-07-2016 at 02:17 AM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My Glo is my only ereader and I am very happy with it, although I'd prefer a slightly larger screen I haven't been tempted to upgrade yet. If it broke tomorrow my choice would be between a new H2O or a second-hand Glo.

The main problem I see with a second-hand Glo is that it is a four-year-old model, so the battery is likely to be getting towards the end of its life. Replacement is possible, but I'm not sure how easy it is.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2016, 02:39 AM   #3
Cex
Enthusiast
Cex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Glo; Glo HD; PW2; Voyage
If you are refering to GloHD then it is a good choice.
Some people complaints about reflections on the shiny bezel when used under direct sunlight, but that is not a problem for me as rarely use the reader outdoors.
The screen is good with very good contrast and the frontlight has quite a neutral white tone. The only drawbacks are the ghosting when using the dictionaries or after wake-up, but this varies from unit to unit and can be solved by double tapping the screen (to force a full refresh), and some bugs on firmware that you can check on the bugs thread.

For the old Glo, I do not recommend it. The contrast is not so good which makes ghosting quite terrible, and the text to look washed-out, and the frontlight is too bluish for me. The good thing about this model is the external micro-sd card slot, but I never had problems with the 4GB of the GloHD (which can be expanded by replacing the internal microSD card).

There are several threads where you can check pros and cons of Kobo compared to Kindles.
Cex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:44 AM   #4
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Geoff. The guy just told me $55 bucks for the Glo. Is it ok for it? From the picture he sent me, the device looks pretty new!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:32 AM   #5
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Mine is still going strong. I just went on a two-week vacation and the battery only dropped to 42% and this was with some pretty heavy use since I was on a cruise ship and feeling properly lazy. The only reason why I'm in the market to replace it is because it's gotten a few scratches on its screen because I don't have a case for it and the constant throwing into bags and such has hurt it. My fault entirely.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If that is $US55 it is probably reasonable but not especially cheap, however I don't know the US market.

In New Zealand a second-hand Glo in good condition tends to sell for $80 - $110 at auction (approx. $US58 - $US79), but that seems a little expensive to me considering the risk of buying from an unknown private seller and the age of the battery. I've put a few bids in at $50 or $60 but always get outbid.

You might want to compare prices to a second-hand Glo HD or Aura. Although personally I prefer the original Glo to both of these, the Glo HD is a lot newer and I think the Aura would be smaller/lighter.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-07-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: smaller/lighter
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:55 AM   #7
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I have an H2O and a Glo. I stopped using the H2O because of its weight and size but it is a better reader - sharper screen, better lighting and quicker + waterproof.

A 4 year old Glo is a risk in my opinion.

Sent via Tapatalk
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:32 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
There is a seller on ebay with several different Kobos for sale. Link to a Glo. I personally bought a Mini from him, so I can attest that this is a good seller. You should look and see what he's got before you make a decision. He still has the AURA (the original small one) for $50.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have a Glo, but I never really liked it. The type is too fuzzy, for want of a better word. Add to that that this is an old device which has been used and possibly abused (no way to know for sure and what's your recourse if it dies in the short term); this is way overpriced, IMO.

I'd look on eBay, from sellers who make a market in such devices. I still think the older devices are somewhat overpriced, but at least you've got more security. What I'd really do, frankly, is make do with your H2O and watch for deals on a new device. I recently bought the Glo HD for about $90 brand new; for that matter, I only spent about $55 ,on my Glo when I got it new from Kobo.

It would be worth it to pay a little more on a new device with a much longer expected life. And while no one's fond of the new Aura 2, it still would compare favorably with the Glo. Sooner or later, there will be a deal.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
There is a seller on ebay with several different Kobos for sale. Link to a Glo. I personally bought a Mini from him, so I can attest that this is a good seller. You should look and see what he's got before you make a decision. He still has the AURA (the original small one) for $50.
I was going to say the same. I'm very happy with the Aura I bought off of eBay. I would think the Aura is preferable to the Glo, just because it is newer and priced similarly. But then I've never handled a Glo personally and do not know the pros/cons between the two.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
Thanks Geoff. The guy just told me $55 bucks for the Glo. Is it ok for it? From the picture he sent me, the device looks pretty new!
In the picture, is the logo at the bottom in white (original Glo) or is it black (Glo HD)?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Glo is my primary reader. I love it! I've gifted the Touch to my wife. Although I bought a Boox later, but only for it's TTS feature. I am much happy with Glo's battery performance. I would always suggest for buying a new device instead of a second hand one.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
344a
Groupie

Thanks guys. Your advice is so useful to me.
Maybe I would stick with my H2O for a bit longer (it is a good reader anyway), and keep my eyes open for any new reader in the future.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was going to say the same. I'm very happy with the Aura I bought off of eBay. I would think the Aura is preferable to the Glo, just because it is newer and priced similarly. But then I've never handled a Glo personally and do not know the pros/cons between the two.
I, too, would choose the original Aura over the Glo.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Since you are used to reading on the H2O, if I were you I'd wait and try to pick up a second hand Glo HD, as the rest have screens that won't look very good in comparison to your H2O.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote