Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2024, 04:20 PM   #1
KetchupCider
KetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheese

Device: Paperwhite 4, Paperwhite 5 SE
Paperwhite Jailbroken! Next: Eradicate Ads?

Hi! I recently jailbroke my Paperwhite 11 SE. I'm running the SE without "special offers" but still see Amazon's recommended home screen full of garbage ads on my Home screen.

I'm wondering if there is a way to customize this now that my Kindle is jailbroken. I've neutered the two OTA executables so I don't plan to update or have any updates forced on me by these. But at this point, I have KUAL installed (seem to still need to type ;log mrpi as the KUAL MRPI helper doesn't seem to work, but that's okay for now) and have screensavers working etc too.

I'm really hoping to make this device more "mine" and less "Amazon's", because I specifically chose this one to avoid ads that the "special offers" devices would display. It just feels super intrusive to take over so much of the Home screen real estate for things that are, at their core, just rebranded "recommendation" ads.

Sorry for the bitter tone, just frustrated with Amazon at this point. Glad to be jailbroken!
KetchupCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:34 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Switch to "List view" for your library and never go to "Home screen"
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:36 PM   #3
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
A lot of people just assume that getting a Kindle without Special Offers is going to be "ad free" despite Amazon not saying that anywhere. The current iteration of it says "Lockscreen Ad-Supported" vs "Without Lockscreen Ads". They never mention not having recommendations on the Home screen. They also specify that only Lockscreen Ads will be removed when you click the Learn more link in the top section where you select which Kindle features that says:

Quote:
The ad-supported option (also known as Special Offers or Lockscreen Ads) displays sponsored screensavers on your device's lockscreen. Learn more
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:20 PM   #4
KetchupCider
KetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheese

Device: Paperwhite 4, Paperwhite 5 SE
Thanks, that's really unfortunate they chose to approach ads like that. I've used the Library view for a bit, but I'm still looking for further customization options of the Home screen... is there knowledge of which file(s) dictate the content that inhabits the Home screen?

It looks like everything from Discover Books and onward on the page is just more ads; would love to figure out a way to customize this section further!
KetchupCider is offline   Reply With Quote