Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #46
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeLongReader View Post
I hadn't noticed the Dictionary features in the Kindle lines before. What does this feature do? How is it used? Have people found it useful?
Okay, on the Kindle1, if there is a word you don't understand in the book you are reading you
1) put the cursor on the line where the word is and click
2) select 'look up" and click
3) several words will show up, you choose the word you want.

When you are done, you simply click on the "close" link and go back to your reading.

I understand you are now able to choose the dictionary version you want to substitute for the default one.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
A battery declines during normal wear and tear. Because some manager at Amazon said if they had a problem with the battery while it was under warranty it would be replaced.

But, this is for a bad battery. If the batter works with expected degradation after two years, they are not going to replace it under warranty.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #48
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to MobileRead, lifelong reader.!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #49
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
That would cover a bad battery.
In some other thread somebody had emailed a company providing insurance and asked about the battery and got the answer that battery was not covered.

Battery is usually not covered in warranties since it is something that wears down normally.

Last edited by tompe; 03-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #50
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Okay, on the Kindle1, if there is a word you don't understand in the book you are reading you

When you are done, you simply click on the "close" link and go back to your reading.

I understand you are now able to choose the dictionary version you want to substitute for the default one.
Yep, the one thing I'd add is that it's a bit slow to come up. Probably 3-5 seconds. So I don't use it often unless I'm totally unfamiliar with the word.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #51
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, the one thing I'd add is that it's a bit slow to come up. Probably 3-5 seconds. So I don't use it often unless I'm totally unfamiliar with the word.
I've never timed it, but the issue hasn't been a problem for me.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #52
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it just bugs me as it's slow enough to really break up the flow of reading. But of course it's much faster than pulling out a dictionary so it is nitpick.

Fortunately I have a pretty good vocabulary so I don't have much need for it anyway.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #53
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The dictionary in the Kindle 2 is awesome. Placing the pointer on a word gives a two line definition at the bottom of the page with the option for more information. Hitting Return gives you a page or more of information about the word.

I use the dictionary a lot because it's so darn handy.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #54
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
No downtime? From the time the battery dies, to the time you get the "new' unit, to the time you re-download the books....you have downtime.
Now you're muddying the waters. Firstly, any particular failure is going to have downtime. *However* much time it is (depending on the mode of failure), it's going to be *less* when you get a replacement shipped to you, and then you ship the broken one, rather than *waiting* the whole time for your original to get shipped back.

Secondly, no one was suggesting a complete battery failure... just not holding it's charge for very long. In that case, there's NO downtime, just inconvenience. And furthermore, in the event of complete battery failure, one can still use the device plugged in. Not ideal, I grant, but we're not talking about a lot of downtime, and in any event, replacing the Kindle, which is what you were objecting to, results in *less* downtime in *any* event.

Quote:
I wouldn't want a "new" Kindle. Its a stupid battery, for crying out loud.
And now you're switching the argument in mid-stream. This is NOT about K1 vs K2 and the replaceable battery. This is about the extended warranty. The extended warranty covers the battery situation on the K2. Whether or not your K1 user-replaceable battery is superior is irrelevant to that fact.

Quote:
Now, had amazon just kept the blasted battery replaceable by the user, there wouldn't be a problem, would there?
Uhh, yeah, there would. I'd still want an extended warranty to cover any other failures for an additional year, as well as cover accidental breakage.

Geeze, grandma, you sure are crabby in your old age.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #55
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Kindle 2 improves on this a bit. When you move the cursor in front of the word in question, you automatically get a two-line pop-up in the status bar at the bottom of the screen showing the first definition. You can then click and load up the full dictionary entry for that word if you want to see more.

Furthermore, you can type @dict word into the search box at any time and look up that word.

I've used the dictionary a lot more than I thought I would; it's very handy.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #56
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
A battery declines during normal wear and tear. Because some manager at Amazon said if they had a problem with the battery while it was under warranty it would be replaced.

But, this is for a bad battery. If the batter works with expected degradation after two years, they are not going to replace it under warranty.
With "expected degradation" in two years, there would be no need to replace the battery. So it's only a problem if it's degrading abnormally.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The extended warranty covers the battery situation on the K2. Whether or not your K1 user-replaceable battery is superior is irrelevant to that fact.
If you are expecting Amazon to replace your battery after two years because you have this warranty, you are mistaken.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #58
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
And now you're switching the argument in mid-stream. This is NOT about K1 vs K2 and the replaceable battery. This is about the extended warranty. The extended warranty covers the battery situation on the K2. Whether or not your K1 user-replaceable battery is superior is irrelevant to that fact.
Definitely true. For people that don't not having a replaceable battery, they should just stick with the K1.

Personally, having just got a K1 I don't really see why so many have upgraded. The K2 looks nicer, but I don't see the added features being worth upgrading personally--16 vs 4 shades of grey is moot if you mostly read text, page turns are fast enough on the K1 IMO, and you lose the replacable battery and SD slot (though gain more internal memory).

That said, I'm glad so many upgraded since it allowed me to get a K1 in great shape for $200!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #59
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:

Geeze, grandma, you sure are crabby in your old age.
and you, 'sir bruce' are indeed a provocateur.

discussion ended.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #60
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
With "expected degradation" in two years, there would be no need to replace the battery. So it's only a problem if it's degrading abnormally.
By 2-3 years you'll probably not be holding a charge very long anymore. Especially if you use the whispernet a lot and drain the battery faster, and you're someone that reads for hours everyday etc.

Will vary from person to person on how short of a charge they can tolerate before they want a new battery.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-09-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Tags
sony kindle decision mac