Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #1
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Poetry: line numbers aligned to the left.

Hello.

Very often poetry printed books have numbered lines, normally every fifth line has its number, aligned to the left of the page. The lines of course all start flush, with a big indent (see attachment, and btw I'm sorry the first thing I found was possibly Italy's most overrated poem )

How can I do this w/ epubs? Perhaps with a <span></span> around each number, which then I'd float to the left, or to which I'd give a negative indent?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poet.png
Views:	2294
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	133722  

Last edited by 1v4n0; 01-17-2015 at 04:58 AM.
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Create an ordered list and style it using CSS.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

uh... could you explain?
Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That appears to be numbered random lines, An ordered (ol) list (li) might be used if the stanza was being numbered.

Tables, with the first column used when numbers needed?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Hello.

Very often poetry printed books have numbered lines, normally every fifth line has its number, aligned to the left of the page. The lines of course all start flush, with a big indent (see attachment, and btw I'm sorry the first thing I found was possibly Italy's most overrated poem )

How can I do this w/ epubs? Perhaps with a <span></span> around each number, which then I'd float to the left, or to which I'd give a negative indent?

Thanks
Hmmm, read this issue:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=18

and after that read this "solution":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=21

You could try the same technique to get what you want.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
1v4n0
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That appears to be numbered random lines, An ordered (ol) list (li) might be used if the stanza was being numbered.

Tables, with the first column used when numbers needed?

They're not RDM, they count ne number of the lines. The "table" approach might be the easiest one.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
1v4n0
Groupie

Or perhaps even just manually adding spaces before the lines.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
They're not RDM, they count ne number of the lines. The "table" approach might be the easiest one.
The table approach will bring you more problems than solutions.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you have an iPad or a Kindle K3 or higher with the latest firmware and aren't interested in publishing books with KDP, you could give pseudo-elements a try, because they allow you to automatically add line numbers. They also allow you add special formatting to every nth element. (I used both features in my simple test file.)

Unfortunately, the majority of ePub readers and apps don't support pseudo-elements and you can't use counter pseudo-elements in KDP Kindle books according to the official publishing guidelines, even though they work fine.

I slapped together a very simple test file that displays fine with Sigil, Calibre Book Viewer, iBooks (after ePub3 conversion) and on my Kindle PW2. However, it doesn't display correctly with ADE4, even if it's converted to an ePub3 file.

I formatted the poem as an unordered list:

Spoiler:
Code:
  <h3>The Raven by Edgar Alan Poe</h3>

<ul>
    <li>Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,</li>
    <li>Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,</li>
    <li>While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,</li>
    <li>As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.</li>
    <li>"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door—</li>
    <li>Only this, and nothing more."</li>

<li>Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,</li>
    <li>And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.</li>
    <li>Eagerly I wished the morrow;—vainly I had tried to borrow</li>
    <li>From my books surcease of sorrow—sorrow for the lost Lenore—</li>
    <li>For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore—</li>
    <li>Nameless here for evermore.</li>
    <!-- more lines ... -->
  </ul>

And used the following minimal CSS:

Spoiler:
Code:
ul {
    counter-reset: counter;
    margin-left: .25em;
}

li {
    counter-increment: counter;
    list-style-type: none;
}

ul li:nth-child(5n+5):before {
    left: 0;
    position: absolute;
    padding-left: 1em;
    content: counter(counter);
}

ul li:nth-child(6n+6) {
    text-align: right;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
}

h3 {
    text-align: center;
}
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibe_The_Raven.png
Views:	7817
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	133757   Click image for larger version

Name:	PW2_The_Raven.png
Views:	12244
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	133758  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 The Raven.azw3 (19.9 KB, 457 views)
File Type: epub The Raven.epub (5.0 KB, 372 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 AM   #10
1v4n0
Groupie

Hey, thanks. That looks good in my kindle non-touch (this one), and I think in books where there isn't only poetry this could be a case of "graceful degradation": if you have a reader that supports pseudo-elements you see the numbers, but if you don't you're still able to read the text.

Granted, if it is a long poem we're talking about this might not be a viable solution. In this latter case I'd go for manually inserting the numbers befor each 5th verse, and the spaces in the other lines, combined with a monospaced font (like they do here). Or I wouldn't, after all. Sounds like a hell of a job

Anyway, if you add this

Code:
ul {
    counter-reset: counter;
    margin-left: 1.25em;
	text-indent: -.5em;
}
The verses become more readable

EDIT I was just suggested another solution, which does not involve the counter: use an <OL> instead of<UL>, and hide all the numbers but the 5n-th by giving them a transparent background.
Spoiler:

Code:
ol li:before {
    width:100px;
    height:30px;
    background-color:#FFF;
    content:"";
    display:inline-block;
    position:relative;
    margin-left: -100px;
}
ol li:nth-child(5n):before {
    background-color:transparent;
}

This looks fine in calibre and sigil, and in ADE it just shows all the numbers.

However, besides the dot after the numbers, which apparently is unavoidable w/o the counter, this solution raises a weird problem on my kindle: it only works for the first page. Once you turn it, all the numbers show. On the "Paperwhite" it works fine though.

Anyway, credits go to this guy.

Last edited by 1v4n0; 01-14-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
RbnJrg
Wizard

And what about something like this (that also works in any ereader):

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	4238
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	133778

The above screenshot belongs to ADE 3.0 and to get that result, you only need a few lines of code:

Spoiler:

Code:
h3 {
}

.stanza {
   margin-left: 4em;
}

.stanza p {
  margin: 0;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
  line-height: 1.2em;
}

.stanza p + p {
  text-indent: 0;
}

.stanza p.number {
  float: left;
  margin-left: -4em;
  margin-top: 0.3em;
  font-size: 70%;
}

and in the .xhtml file:

Spoiler:

Code:
  <h3>IL CINQUE MAGGIO</h3>

<div class="stanza">
    <p>Ei fu. Siccome immobile,</p>
    <p>Dato il mortal sospiro,</p>
    <p>Stette la spoglia immemore</p>
    <p>Orba di tanto spiro,</p>
    <p class="number">5</p>
    <p>Così percossa, attonita</p>
    <p>La terra al nunzio sta,</p>
  </div>

<div class="stanza">
    <p>Muta pensando all’ultima</p>
    <p>Ora dell’uom fatale;</p>
    <p>Nè sa quando una simile</p>
    <p class="number">10</p>
    <p>Orma di piè mortale</p>
    <p>La sua cruenta polvere</p>
    <p>A calpestar verrà.</p>
  </div>

<div class="stanza">
    <p>Lui folgorante in solio</p>
    <p>Vide il mio genio e tacque;</p>
    <p class="number">15</p>
    <p>Quando, con vece assidua,</p>
    <p>Cadde, risorse e giacque,</p>
    <p>Di mille voci al sonito</p>
    <p>Mista la sua non ha:</p>
  </div>

So, you only need to add <p class="number">"your number here"</p> in the proper place; everything else is the same you have done always.

Below you can check the respective epub.

Regards
Rubén
Attached Files
File Type: epub Poetry with side numbers.epub (2.5 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 01-14-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
1v4n0
Groupie

Cool. It works on my kindle. The problem here is that I'd have to manually insert the numbers, or the tags around them. That could be achieved with a simple regex, stg like

FIND: ([0-9]{1,})
REPLACE: <p class="number">\1</p>
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #13
teamcoltra
teamcoltra began at the beginning.

Device: Moto-X
instead of "background:white" I would just use color:transparent; and then on the nth use color:black; But that will "fail" to transparent fonts.
teamcoltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Nice solution Doitsu, I didn't know that
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #15
RbnJrg
Wizard

Automatic numbering of verses under ADE 4.02

In this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...56&postcount=9

Doitsu developed a clever method to use automatic numbering of verses; he utilized pseudo-elements under the form of unordered list. I borrowed some of his thoughts to do something similar but without using lists. The code I used was as follows:

Spoiler:
Code:
body {
  counter-reset: verse 0;
}

h3 {
}

.stanza {
   margin-left: 4em;
}

.stanza p {
  margin: 0;
}

.stanza p:nth-child(6n+7) {
    text-indent: 1em;
}

.stanza p:nth-child(6n+6) {
}

.stanza p:nth-child(5n+5):before {
    margin-left: -4em;
    font-size: 70%;
    content: counter(verse);
    counter-increment: verse 5;
}

.dropcap {
    color: blue;
    font-size: 3em;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin: -0.2em 5px -0.3em 0;
}

and

Spoiler:
Code:
  <h3>IL CINQUE MAGGIO</h3>

<div class="stanza">
    <p><span class="dropcap">E</span>i fu. Siccome immobile,</p>
    <p>Dato il mortal sospiro,</p>
    <p>Stette la spoglia immemore</p>
    <p>Orba di tanto spiro,</p>
    <p>Così percossa, attonita</p>
    <p>La terra al nunzio sta,</p>

<p>Muta pensando all’ultima</p>
    <p>Ora dell’uom fatale;</p>
    <p>Nè sa quando una simile</p>
    <p>Orma di piè mortale</p>
    <p>La sua cruenta polvere</p>
    <p>A calpestar verrà.</p>

<p>Lui folgorante in solio</p>
    <p>Vide il mio genio e tacque;</p>
    <p>Quando, con vece assidua,</p>
    <p>Cadde, risorse e giacque,</p>
    <p>Di mille voci al sonito</p>
    <p>Mista la sua non ha:</p>
  </div>

Since Doitsu had already added an automatic bottom margin after the sixth verse, inspired on his ideas, I also added automatic indenting. As we can see, is practically Doitsu's original code but without using unordered list. The ebooks looks great under Sigil, Kindle and surprisingly also works under ADE 4.02 with epub3 conversion. Here you can watch a screenshot:

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	5822
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	133861

That means that the ereaders based on RMSDK could show automatic numbering Below you can check the respective epub3 ebook and thank you very much Doitsy for being the first in thinking to use counters for this task.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Poetry_with_side_numbers_epub3.epub (3.1 KB, 341 views)