Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
galagable
galagable began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
.Txt -> .Html -> .Zip Problem

Hi All!

I took a .txt file, converted it to .htm without adding anything, and tried to add it to the library... however, it turns it into a zip file that, upon opening, seems to not have any available formats - no matter what I do. I tried adding the .htm file by editing the metadata to no avail. Can anyone help? I am running OSX if that matters.

Thanks everyone!!
Gala
galagable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I'm confused: You added the TXT to your library, converted it to HTML in Calibre, and tried to add the HTML to the library? It should already have been in there as a new format in the book entry.
HTML files being added as ZIP files is normal- Calibre follows the links and embedded elements and gathers up the locally saved ones into a ZIP container.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
galagable

No, I converted the text in Microsoft Word to html because it had a ton of broken words in the file. I added the resulting html file to the library, which converted to zip. I can't view or convert that resulting zip file - I always get an error message about no formats being available, etc.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

That's odd. Is the ZIP file listed in the formats pane of that book entry?
Have you tried re-adding the HTML? If that doesn't work, can you open the ZIP file with a compression program (e.g. 7zip)?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
galagable

Yes, it is listed. I can open the zip file. Even when I convert it within Calibre and then try to view or convert the zip file, I still get the error...
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by galagable View Post
Yes, it is listed. I can open the zip file. Even when I convert it within Calibre and then try to view or convert the zip file, I still get the error...
By converting "it", I assume you're talking about adding the TXT to Calibre and converting that to ZIP? You're obviously planning to convert to some ebook format from the ZIP, why not convert from the TXT?
Is the HTML that you save out of Word valid (as in "can you open it with a browser")? Try using the simplified HTML save option in Word. If all else fails, save to RTF from Word and try adding that.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
galagable

Yup, that's what I mean by "it"... When I convert it from text and view it on my Kindle, a lot of the words still end up broken, which is why I wanted to save it as html. The html file is valid and I did try the simplified save option - still the same problems

However, saving it as an RTF did work! Though I'd love to figure out what the heck went wrong, this'll work fine for now. Thank you for your help!!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

You could try to repeat the steps you made with Calibre running in debug mode (press Ctrl+Shift+R while in Calibre to restart in debug mode). That may give some insight into what went wrong.