Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
Two strange GUID txt files have appeared on my Kobo

Aura HD with current 4.7.10413 firmware. When I go to "My Books" this morning (sort order is set to Recent), there two entries on the first page, both with the title "Id" and author "Unknown Author", and both plain txt files 37 bytes in size. When I have a look at either of them, they both just contain a single GUID/UUID (see http://guid.one/guid for an explanation). I have no idea where these came from - I only ever sideload books using Calibre, and I don't use the Kobo desktop application at all.

When I view details for either of them, it shows:

Publisher: (1/13/18)
Language: English
File Size: 37 B
File Format: txt

When I attach the Kobo to my PC and mount the internal memory and SD card as drives, I can see that these two "books" correspond to two files named Id.txt in the root folder of both drives - the contents of each file are the same GUID as I see if I open the file as a book on the Kobo.

Any idea how these appeared and whether I can safely delete them?
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Move them to your computer and if you find nothing wrong, you can then delete them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
Aura HD with current 4.7.10413 firmware. When I go to "My Books" this morning (sort order is set to Recent), there two entries on the first page, both with the title "Id" and author "Unknown Author", and both plain txt files 37 bytes in size. When I have a look at either of them, they both just contain a single GUID/UUID (see http://guid.one/guid for an explanation). I have no idea where these came from - I only ever sideload books using Calibre, and I don't use the Kobo desktop application at all.

When I view details for either of them, it shows:

Publisher: (1/13/18)
Language: English
File Size: 37 B
File Format: txt

When I attach the Kobo to my PC and mount the internal memory and SD card as drives, I can see that these two "books" correspond to two files named Id.txt in the root folder of both drives - the contents of each file are the same GUID as I see if I open the file as a book on the Kobo.

Any idea how these appeared and whether I can safely delete them?
Do you run any sort of indexing program on the PC? This sounds like the sort of thing added by an indexer or similar to identify the devices for searching.

From the Kobo device point of view, deleting the files is safe. I'll be interested to see if they reappear after the next connection.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote